Dcfc transfer window history

dog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, dog said:

As always the club is in an interesting situation

Despite that, and with the clock ticking I wonder what the best and worst transfer windows have been for us. Any suggestions?

Worst has to be the signings of Blackman, Olsson and Camara. We were so close to having a perfect team and we spent 5 million on absolute chaff.

The Jan window under Billy was an interesting one too, we spent a fair bit on lots of players but it almost killed the season. David Jones on a permanent was a good bit of business though.

The best was almost under Mac..Ince, Bent, Lingard, Warnock and Albentosa. On paper that was a set of fantastic signings, how we missed out on the playoffs I'll never know.

The signings of Butterfield and Johnson were massively over priced whilst Camara was maybe worth the risk but he was rubbish whilst the signing of Blackman was a joke - so a dreadful season of transfers 

also later on I couldn’t get my head around the price we paid for Anya 

the best one - that’s actually very hard 

We’ve had good transfer windows? Think in recent times at least it’s been least bad rather than good. Been mainly summer windows where we’ve done ok. That one under Lampard was pretty good given the loanees we were able to get in, as in fairness was the Clement one all the way up until we blew 10m on Butterfield and Johnson, then it went to poo. Neither were fantastic overall, but at least we did have some good buys in amongst them. Better than can be said about last summer and the Pearson one anyway.

Which brings me on to the really bad windows. January windows, basically. Pretty much every January window since the Mac days has been an absolute unmitigated disaster. All started with the Camara and Blackman shitshow, losing Russell and replacing him with a central midfielder in the Rowett days, all the way up until we failed to sign a centre back last year. We seem to leave every January window weaker than we started it, and I’m convinced that it’s the biggest reason for our post Christmas collapses. We can never seen to get that window right, and we end up falling behind other teams who do it well and get a boost as a result. We tend to let quite a few players go in January, which is fair enough when they’re not playing massive roles, but often they still need replacing and we tend to struggle to get what we want to do done in that respect in recent years. Think that’s where we keep making a mess of seasons myself.

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The best was almost under Mac..Ince, Bent, Lingard, Warnock and Albentosa. On paper that was a set of fantastic signings, how we missed out on the playoffs I'll never know.

Really? I thought this was an awful window, other than Ince the rest gave us very little. In fact the continued persistence to play Bent I believe cost us the play offs, the most emperors new clothes footballer of all time. 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Without trying to do any research David was that when Raisiak and Huddlestone were stolen by the thieves at Tottenham ( or it could be said sold by the 3 amigos) 

Robbie Savage, Danny Mills, Alan Stubbs, Laurent Robert

I'd like to see what the numbers provide, the 2015 summer window was a lot of wasted money but we got £11m or something for Ince which helps caps the losses, equally we signed Bogle in that same window - Thomas (£1m+), Weimann (£2m+) so we may still end up making a profit or break even on the transfer fees depending on when and what Bogle goes for - £10m? Wage hike will always be a sickening thought though. 

13 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Worst has to be the signings of Blackman, Olsson and Camara. We were so close to having a perfect team and we spent 5 million on absolute chaff.

The Jan window under Billy was an interesting one too, we spent a fair bit on lots of players but it almost killed the season. David Jones on a permanent was a good bit of business though.

Yeah agree Billy made too many signings in January and it upset the camp. He admitted as much. We went from being in the top 2 and into the playoffs when in reality we should have won the league.

We missed out on the play offs that season because Mac could not commit to us and let the speculation of flirting with Newcastle go on and on and on ... And on!

26 minutes ago, David said:

Robbie Savage, Danny Mills, Alan Stubbs, Laurent Robert

I remember vague feelings of excitement when we signed Laurent Robert. How disappointing it was to watch him play.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Really? I thought this was an awful window, other than Ince the rest gave us very little. In fact the continued persistence to play Bent I believe cost us the play offs, the most emperors new clothes footballer of all time. 

That's why I said almost and on paper...cast your mind back, what was your reaction when we signed Bent? And then Ince? And then followed that up with Lingaard (who had been brilliant at Birmingham)...let's not forget how excited we all were when we signed Albentosa by strapping him to a plane.

Almost everyone said Warnock was a great signing which added experience to the side.

When the transfer window slammed shut it was a given that we were going up, not a cat in hells chance we wouldnt get promoted...but we did a Derby.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

He played like he had no end on his leg. 

Tbf; running around wasn't an issue for him.

I'd say it was more he played like the ends of his legs didn't belong to him.

Archived