Dcfc transfer window history

dog

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

To-may-to  To-mar-to

I read the first "To" wrong in both of those when initially reading this post. We're wired differently Rynny ? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Squid said:

that was 2005

One year fades into another

38 minutes ago, David said:

Robbie Savage, Danny Mills, Alan Stubbs, Laurent Robert

One year fades into another - looks dreadful 

we should be banned from January transfers 

3 hours ago, therams69 said:

Yeah agree Billy made too many signings in January and it upset the camp. He admitted as much. We went from being in the top 2 and into the playoffs when in reality we should have won the league.

We missed out on the play offs that season because Mac could not commit to us and let the speculation of flirting with Newcastle go on and on and on ... And on!

We missed out due to injuries to virtually the whole midfield and prime CM9 .

Contenders for the worst
Jan 16 - Blackman, Camara, Olsson (£5m+ loss)
Summer 15 - Johnson, Ince, Butterfield, Shackell, Weimann, Bent, Pearce, Baird, Carson (£14m+ loss)
Jan 08 - Villa, Savage, Sterjovski, Stubbs, Carroll, Robert (£3m+ loss, and we sold Howard, Oakley and MJohnson)
Summer 07 - Earnshaw, Davis, Miller, Feilhaber, Todd, Price, Lewis, Griffin (£9.5m+ loss, Seth retired, Grant and Peschi released)
Summer 05 - Huddlestone and Rasiak sold for a bag of chips

Contenders for the best
Summer 13 - Russell, Forsyth, Martin, Grant, Eustace
Summer 11 - Shackell, Ward, Bryson, Fielding, Legzdins, Robinson all on low fees
Summer 04 - Idiakez, Bisgaard, Smith, Rasiak all on frees
Jan 04 - Peschi and Reich on frees, Osman on loan all on low fees

I think I'd have to choose Jan 16 as the worst (at least we got some use out of most of the Summer 15 signings). The best Summer 13 due to the time they spent at the club compared with Summer 04 signings.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Contenders for the worst
Jan 16 - Blackman, Camara, Olsson (£5m+ loss)
Summer 15 - Johnson, Ince, Butterfield, Shackell, Weimann, Bent, Pearce, Baird, Carson (£14m+ loss)
Jan 08 - Villa, Savage, Sterjovski, Stubbs, Carroll, Robert (£3m+ loss, and we sold Howard, Oakley and MJohnson)
Summer 07 - Earnshaw, Davis, Miller, Feilhaber, Todd, Price, Lewis, Griffin (£9.5m+ loss, Seth retired, Grant and Peschi released)
Summer 05 - Huddlestone and Rasiak sold for a bag of chips

And we have a winner!   And that was in preparation for stepping up to the Premier League unbelievably, not another season in the Championship.  Writing was on the wall come Sept 1st unfortunately and the rest is history.  Bisgaard's contract expired that summer too didn't it ?

22 minutes ago, Highgate said:

And we have a winner!   And that was in preparation for stepping up to the Premier League unbelievably, not another season in the Championship.  Writing was on the wall come Sept 1st unfortunately and the rest is history.  Bisgaard's contract expired that summer too didn't it ?

Morten Bisgaard. Something truly brilliant about him filming the promotion bus ride through the town centre on a JVC camcorder ??

10 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Not too bad on paper...

Earnshaw - a goal every 178 minutes in the Premier League before we signed him. 19 goals in 30 Championship games in the 06/07 season.
Davis - A key player under Billy when Preston reached the playoff final. A regular for Sheff Utd in the Prem in the 06/07 season.
Miller - prolific in his final two seasons in the Championship with Wolves before his move to Celtic. Scored 3 in 2 SPL games in the 07/08 season before we signed him.
Feilhaber - promising young player from Germany. One of our few 'good' players in that season
Todd - a regular squad player in the Premier League for Bolton (95-98), and Charlton and Blackburn from 2000 until we signed him.
Price - Young backup to Bywater
Lewis - A key player under Billy when at Preston (4 goals and 13 assist in one season, and a key player at Leeds
Griffin - A regular squad player at Newcastle and Portsmouth during most of the 10 years previous. A regular for Stoke as they pushed for a playoff spot

6 hours ago, David said:

Why it makes me laugh when people talk about recent windows, very short memories as we have signed some real dross over the years. 

To be fair to Savage, he changed my opinion in the game he's on about here. Taarabt was in the form of his life and probably the best player in the league at that point and he completely man marked him out the game, to the point that when Taarabt was subbed, he went off in a massive strop. Had to give him kudos after that. Also vaguely remember an incident where an opposition player went down easily and he theatrically dived on the floor to mock him. He made me laugh, i'll give him that ?

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not too bad on paper...

Earnshaw - a goal every 178 minutes in the Premier League before we signed him. 19 goals in 30 Championship games in the 06/07 season.
Davis - A key player under Billy when Preston reached the playoff final. A regular for Sheff Utd in the Prem in the 06/07 season.
Miller - prolific in his final two seasons in the Championship with Wolves before his move to Celtic. Scored 3 in 2 SPL games in the 07/08 season before we signed him.
Feilhaber - promising young player from Germany. One of our few 'good' players in that season
Todd - a regular squad player in the Premier League for Bolton (95-98), and Charlton and Blackburn from 2000 until we signed him.
Price - Young backup to Bywater
Lewis - A key player under Billy when at Preston (4 goals and 13 assist in one season, and a key player at Leeds
Griffin - A regular squad player at Newcastle and Portsmouth during most of the 10 years previous. A regular for Stoke as they pushed for a playoff spot

How many of those were regular starters in the Premier League or a league of a similar standard in the previous season, which is the only season that is really relevant to their form?  That's what a team that sneaked up via the play-offs was going to need. Lewis was 33 and playing in League 1 the previous season, how was that going to work.  How many players go from League 1 to the Premier League in their 30s and succeed ?

Earnshaw was a reasonable punt I guess.  I remember being quite depressed about the recruitment that summer....although I'd no clue the season that was to follow would be as wretched as it was. 

The next time we have a profitable time with transfer windows will without doubt be the first!

Lest anyone should feel the urge to contradict, We have bought several good players only to see them out for months due to injury.

Our most promising players seem to have progressed through our academy.

Our loan players benefit and blossom only to reach full potential on return to their 'parent' club.

Fact of life in Division Two, er sorry, the Championship!

Archived