The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

So there were protests all over the country yesterday. Whilst I do really worry about the Covid impact of these mass gatherings, I can understand the feeling that meant so many people wanting to take to the streets to show their support. I did see plenty of protest pics of people social distancing though and this cause seems more worthy than needing to go to the beach on a hot day.

Lots of terrific debate on here though about trotting horses trotting into violent Trots.  I saw yesterday as more of a potential turning point in attitudes to race in the uk, rather than a VAR style analysis into an incident involving a horse.

I think it's worth asking why so many people risked turning out yesterday, rather than focusing on why a very small minority of people may have misbehaved.

If thousands and thousands of people across the country turned out for a right wing cause, and a few EDL thugs kicked off and caused trouble, I would spend my time wondering what was causing masses of people to think that way, not why some violent types were looking for trouble.

This will never happen though, as far right marches really only attract violent types, even if there are some very fine people in attendance.

A better debate than trotgate would be a response to @Anons zinger:

"This is absolutely pathetic. A protest about the death of a man in police custody in a different country where the suspect is already arrested and charged." Even got a couple of likes!

Well done @DarkFruitsRam7 for correctly challenging this. You've made some great posts on this subject and have hopefully made a few people question their views too.

Let's hope 2020 turns out the be the year when the masses realise that populist governments are not to be trusted anymore and that society will be better for everyone if everyone is included.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What has that article got to do with the ongoing protest? Absolutely nothing.

Are you actually incapable of comprehending the fact that this is the 'Politics' thread, and that it is quite possible for more than a single subject to be discussed simultaneously?

No surprise you want to sweep it under the carpet...…….. 

10 minutes ago, cstand said:

Well I worked with a few black people in a factory years ago with no problems but back then we did not have the nasty vile divisive identity politics of today designed by left to claim the BAME vote for themselves with no thought of the damage that it will do to our society.

I once met a nice black fella who said he loved living in the uk too. And those Indians in the curry house are really friendly.

This identity politics makes me sick as I've clearly demonstrated how in all the situations I've experienced BAME people, they were all perfectly fine. Those men who want to be women is a bit different though, eh?

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

designed by left to claim the BAME vote for themselves with no thought of the damage that it will do to our society.

Hang on though - isn't that how politics works? You campaign of matters to try and capture the votes of people who agree with  you?

What are you suggesting as an alternative? Anything else sounds a bit undemocratic to me. Or are you suggesting that political parties shouldn't bother trying to win votes at all? 

In your quote above, if you replace the word "left" with Tories and refer to their economic policies that have benefited big business (and damaged scoiety by drastically widened the equality gap) you might see what I mean

25 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not sure I follow your argument. 

The outcome matters, but the semantics don't. Brexit will happen and it will happen on Boris's terms. Terms you and the majority of Brexit supporters largely agree with. 

When you blame remain supporters for not "getting brexit done", remember that Brexit supporters had the majority all the time. It in fact was Boris who stopped it. Because he wouldn't accept a border down the Irish Sea. A border he now has confirmed will be in place post Brexit. 

Boris and Brexit supporters have promised that they will be able to get a good deal. It's oven ready, remember? Now we can forget the arguments. Just get on with it. 

I hope you haven't all fallen for yet more lies from Boris, who engineered this to take power and now is conceding all the things he said we're unacceptable. It would be sad if the great deal he promised was just another lie, don't you agree? 

FB_IMG_1591518976465.jpg

I don't fall for anything a Politician says, Shall I remind you of project fear...Cameron said he was running "project fact" of course he was, Osbourne...100s 1000s on the dole, Mark Joseph Carney saying interest rates will soar, Asking Obama to tell us that the UK will be at the back of the queue when trade talks start, Christine Madeleine Odette Lagarde IMF...raging inflation, I could go on...but it gets boring.

We were all sold a pup at one time or another, There will always be a Political divide in this Country, It's whether you want to be locked into an EU club where you're 1 voice in 28 and have to accept what the majority want, Altho Thatcher chose to take them on...and won with a rebate, Then there's those that want to be the voice of their own future, If it goes tits up...you'll hear no complaints from me, If we prosper being on our own and set trade deals around the world, Other EU Countries may follow...but that'll be their choice, And that's what the Technocrats fear in the EU.

17 minutes ago, cstand said:

Well I worked with a few black people in a factory years ago with no problems

Herein lies part of the problem. 

I worked with some black people. 

1) they never complained to me about racism

2) therefore I will presume that they had no problem with racism 

3) I as a white person had no problem with racism

Can't we return to the time when black people didn't complain about racism? 

3 minutes ago, TramRam said:

, If we prosper being on our own and set trade deals around the world, Other EU Countries may follow...but that'll be their choice, And that's what the Technocrats fear in the EU.

I will be the first to take my hat off to all the brexiters and congratulate you all if we get a favourable deal. Or if no deal isn't the worst option on the table. 

Not sure why you bring up Obama, Cameron or Carney. Old hat, irrelevant now. You ignored what they said. Time to deliver a great deal for the UK. The country expects you to deliver what you told us was possible, easy, remember we hold all the cards. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Information spreads so quickly these days that injustice in one country can shine a light on injustices in another in a matter of minutes.

Also, you seem to suggest that the situation in the US is worse than it is in the UK (and rightly so). In that case, I could just throw your argument right back at you. Why are the US protests happening now, when many Floyd-esque incidents have indeed happened over there in recent years? Sometimes the match is struck at just the right time.  Why did the huge civil rights marches happen in the 1960s and not the 1930s? Sometimes things just boil over.

I watched a Documentary last night called "Southern Rites" it is on Sky...if you have Sky give it a viewing.

3 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I don't fall for anything a Politician says, Shall I remind you of project fear...Cameron said he was running "project fact" of course he was, Osbourne...100s 1000s on the dole, Mark Joseph Carney saying interest rates will soar, Asking Obama to tell us that the UK will be at the back of the queue when trade talks start, Christine Madeleine Odette Lagarde IMF...raging inflation, I could go on...but it gets boring.

I think the jury is still out, seen as we haven't really left yet. If we can salvage something out of the deal with the EU, the worst of those predictions might not come true. If we had competent people in charge, the worst of those predictions might not come true. I fear we are heading towards a No Deal, so Cumming and Banks get the chaos they desire.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think the jury is still out, seen as we haven't really left yet. If we can salvage something out of the deal with the EU, the worst of those predictions might not come true. If we had competent people in charge, the worst of those predictions might not come true. I fear we are heading towards a No Deal, so Cumming and Banks get the chaos they desire.

What? 

You mean that this is a lie? 

1920.jpg

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Spot on - the other day I mentioned my (one and only) black teacher at school in the 80s. 

He got kids doing monkey noises at him every single day - and he never once lost it, never once complained. He just turned the other cheek

I'd have to be pretty myopic to look back and say that was him "not having a problem with racism"

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I will be the first to take my hat off to all the brexiters and congratulate you all if we get a favourable deal. Or if no deal isn't the worst option on the table

Not sure why you bring up Obama, Cameron or Carney. Old hat, irrelevant now. You ignored what they said. Time to deliver a great deal for the UK. The country expects you to deliver what you told us was possible, easy, remember we hold all the cards. 

Where have I mentioned the above, I said World Trade, I brought up those names as you were pointing a finger that BJ could be lying, Lying or telling Fibs is a trait from those who deem to think they have influence.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

3) I as a white person had no problem with racism

Can't we return to the time when black people didn't complain about racism? 

No that's the not point I am making at all, its the left insisting that black people cannot be happy because they must be victims of racism even if they do not realise it.

Any how got to go if the wife catches posting in the politics forum again I will be in trouble.

2 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Where have I mentioned the above, I said World Trade, I brought up those names as you were pointing a finger that BJ could be lying, Lying or telling Fibs is a trait from those who deem to think they have influence.

Maybe they weren't lying. Either we get a great deal, and Boris was telling the truth and you were right to support him, or... 

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If David Frost got the deal he's looking for, If the UK Government makes the UK a "Sovereign State" and has no ties within the EU they'll still be those that yearn to be joined at the hip with the 27.

Why would we Salvage a deal, We've left...It's the EU trying to Force/Salvage a deal, Frost has a mandate just like Barnier, But Frost has the backing of BJ where Barnier is being told especially by France and the Netherlands where fishing in our waters is concerned, Barnier finally agreed, But was sent back by the above Countries to say...non non non.

9 minutes ago, cstand said:

No that's the not point I am making at all, its the left insisting that black people cannot be happy because they must be victims of racism even if they do not realise it.

Any how got to go if the wife catches posting in the politics forum again I will be in trouble.

Good point. All those thousands of protesters were more than happy until the shadowy left told them they weren't. 

A black mate at work told everyone this week how recently he went to get lunch and someone told him to go back to his own country. He hadn't mentioned this before, so he clearly accepted it. The despicable left has now made him think it is ok to tell people about this experience.

Is the wife complaining about you spending too much time on here, or about the content of your posts.

A change is gonna come brother.

8 minutes ago, cstand said:

Ah, so what you're actually saying is if white Trots stop talking about racism, black folk might not even know such a thing exists and would most likely live out their days in a sort of transcendental state of ignorant bliss. That makes way more sense. 

5 minutes ago, TramRam said:

If David Frost got the deal he's looking for, If the UK Government makes the UK a "Sovereign State" and has no ties within the EU they'll still be those that yearn to be joined at the hip with the 27.

Why would we Salvage a deal, We've left...It's the EU trying to Force/Salvage a deal, Frost has a mandate just like Barnier, But Frost has the backing of BJ where Barnier is being told especially by France and the Netherlands where fishing in our waters is concerned, Barnier finally agreed, But was sent back by the above Countries to say...non non non.

Hopefully we'll get an adequate deal. It's the minimum I expect after being told it will be the easiest deal in history.

I'm a bit confused though. If we have left, what deal are we getting? I would have preferred us to agree the deal before leaving.

Archived