The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

On the contrary, it does work. The raw data, I suspect, has Caribbean, African and 'Any other black' (possibly including Black American) as a separate category - and the 'African' percentage drags the other two down. If the populations were the same size, then the 'Total black' figure would be around 48, not 43. However, if the 'Any other black' population size is smaller than the 'African' population, that will drag the average down.

Sorry, I'm being thick here but didnt your original post say number of deaths per 100,000? Where does percentages come into it?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You have an ignore feature that can limit stress. Not completely, but help.

The trouble is, it’s like the “friend” on Facebook you have that you hate but don’t want to remove because you secretly hope they’ll get some kind of “come uppance “ where another poster will really let rip and tell them what everyone thinks about them.

Yes, I have a few on Facebook like that.

Not you @Coconut you’re like a little brother who makes you shake your head and think, what’s he like ?

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Latest NHS Figures state 17.3% of deaths are non-white. 
43BEA7B1-DFC9-424D-AE21-3E877029CE06.thumb.jpeg.3f489e6328c4a04bbab8bd04ed9bcc0e.jpeg
The 2011 census would suggest the figure should be closer to 14.0% - a 3.3% difference. I expect current figures to be much higher than 14% given historic trends. It was lower than 9% in the 2001 census.

Yes, that's the data I was alluding to. Again, though, the fatal mistake is lumping all non-whites together when the sample size of that 'grouping' is relatively small, so age could be a massive factor in skewing the result.

A relatively large number of people from the Caribbean emigrated to the UK in the 1950s, so first-generation immigrants would be now in their 80's and 90's, whereas their offspring would in all likelihood be in their 60's and 70's. However, the large Indian sub-continent migration started 20 or 30 years later, firstly with the Ugandan Asians in the mid-1970s and the creation of the state of Bangladesh following the breakup of the 'two Pakistans', then the influx of East Asians in the 1990's following the establishment of trade links, the number of Asian students studying at British universities and so on.

Edit: So the Caribbean population may be older than the Indian sub-continent population, and that may be older than the African population which in turn may be older than the East Asian population etc.

Lies, damned lies etc. That's why I try to avoid sweeping statements (sings chorus of "There are more questions than answers").

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry, I'm being thick here but didnt your original post say number of deaths per 100,000? Where does percentages come into it?

Of each individual population grouping. You are the one who came up with a percentage across populations.

26 minutes ago, sage said:

oooh Hark at you bringing facts and common sense to this thread. 

Those 'facts and common sense' will still be questioned, and I shall spend the next three hours going around in circles trying to dot every I and cross every t, and then tomorrow the same bloody people will reference the same bloody point that I was countering today as though I hadn't made the blindest bit of difference.

Which I hadn't.

Edit: And then someone will post a picture of Diane Abbott.

Point and counterpoint.

8 hours ago, King Kevin said:

To be fair she does look quite fit.

She does in one photo I agree ?

On 01/05/2020 at 17:20, G STAR RAM said:

Could I get you some gammon to accompany that egg on your face Sir?

On 01/05/2020 at 17:29, SchtivePesley said:

I think you just did...

7 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Don't think that was me

See above.

you momentarily joined the ranks of the bluenoses. I thought it was a bit out of character. 

10 hours ago, TramRam said:

"I accept I made an error of judgement and took the wrong course of action," he said.

"I have therefore stepped back from my involvement in SAGE.

"I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms.

This makes my pi$$ boil ?, Unfortunately he's not on his own, Just a high profile fool that thought he was fine, As Archied said "I will be very happy for lock down to be done away with and take my chances" when as we see others of higher standing stick 2 fingers up to it, Why, Because there's millions of us and far fewer of them so less chance on spreading Covid-19.

We're doing our bit...but others just aint bovvered ?

That’s what they want you to feel.

45 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Those 'facts and common sense' will still be questioned, and I shall spend the next three hours going around in circles trying to dot every I and cross every t, and then tomorrow the same bloody people will reference the same bloody point that I was countering today as though I hadn't made the blindest bit of difference.

Which I hadn't.

Edit: And then someone will post a picture of Diane Abbott.

Point and counterpoint.

I can’t be arsed to challenge your facts, so I will more simply accept them in the spirit intended.

diane abbott clapping GIF

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Yes, that's the data I was alluding to. Again, though, the fatal mistake is lumping all non-whites together when the sample size of that 'grouping' is relatively small, so age could be a massive factor in skewing the result.

A relatively large number of people from the Caribbean emigrated to the UK in the 1950s, so first-generation immigrants would be now in their 80's and 90's, whereas their offspring would in all likelihood be in their 60's and 70's. However, the large Indian sub-continent migration started 20 or 30 years later, firstly with the Ugandan Asians in the mid-1970s and the creation of the state of Bangladesh following the breakup of the 'two Pakistans', then the influx of East Asians in the 1990's following the establishment of trade links, the number of Asian students studying at British universities and so on.

Edit: So the Caribbean population may be older than the Indian sub-continent population, and that may be older than the African population which in turn may be older than the East Asian population etc.

Lies, damned lies etc. That's why I try to avoid sweeping statements (sings chorus of "There are more questions than answers").

I suspect the greatest influencer in all of this will be economic. If you have a traditional "nuclear" family and large house with a big garden, you are able to isolate more easily if you are sick than if you live with extended family in a 1 bed flat on the 9th floor of a block.

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

The close up with the red lipstick ? 

she looks a bit of a porker in the one outside no. 10

Yes. I totally agree. 

a bit cruel to throw her and her family under the bus just because they want to destroy mr lockdown.

nasty people these politicians.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Yes. I totally agree. 

a bit cruel to throw her and her family under the bus just because they want to destroy mr lockdown.

nasty people these politicians.

Of course, if he wasn't knobbing someone else's wife and breaking the rules he'd help set, he wouldn't have had to resign.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

See above.

you momentarily joined the ranks of the bluenoses. I thought it was a bit out of character. 

Think I owe you an apology on that point.

Although it obviously looked shady how the numbers jumped so rapidly in testing, I was comfortable as I thought the numbers would be maintained.

The number have dropped rapidly post 30th April and we are told it is due to demand not meeting capacity.

I'd be more than happy for Matt Hancock to be questioned why demand was supposedly much higher on 29th and 30th April than in the subsequent days.

36 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I suspect the greatest influencer in all of this will be economic. If you have a traditional "nuclear" family and large house with a big garden, you are able to isolate more easily if you are sick than if you live with extended family in a 1 bed flat on the 9th floor of a block.

Think places like India , Africa and other overcrowded underdeveloped countries may be more of a pointer but at this point there doesn’t seem to be the devastation you would expect from this highly deadly virus

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think I owe you an apology on that point.

Although it obviously looked shady how the numbers jumped so rapidly in testing, I was comfortable as I thought the numbers would be maintained.

The number have dropped rapidly post 30th April and we are told it is due to demand not meeting capacity.

I'd be more than happy for Matt Hancock to be questioned why demand was supposedly much higher on 29th and 30th April than in the subsequent days.

Demand will soar to over 200k requests end of this month.

52 minutes ago, Archied said:

Think places like India , Africa and other overcrowded underdeveloped countries may be more of a pointer but at this point there doesn’t seem to be the devastation you would expect from this highly deadly virus

There will be a far lower number of tourists to bring in the virus in the first place. 

Archived