The Politics Thread 2020

I think the fact that we were 2-3 weeks behind most other countries worked against us. By the time we wanted to ramp up testing, others were already doing so and there was a shortage of tesing chemicals globally.

Of course mistakes have been made but it's just not allowed, is it. No politician will ever admit to an error because it would be career ending.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You’re back. Better than your last attempt of two words. Been building up to this one have ya?
Already answered the Corbyn point. Of course it matters if people are exposed to risk but point me to a country anywhere on this green earth where they are not? 

So what now then? What do you want to happen to Hancock if they miss the 100,000? What would RamNut do that is so perfect? 
Let’s hear the wisdom. 

The shorter version was better, but as ever that gets removed, whilst your offensive post is allowed to stand. 

the point that you miss, is that unrealistic fantasy targets which lack credibility, expose the health secretary as a dreamer. A bit like mr trump half believing that if he says it will all be over by Easter Sunday, then maybe he can actually will it to happen. If our man was more closely engaged in the reality and practicality of making things happen, instead of dreaming up headlines for the media, then maybe we would get real improvements sooner. Instead he has just made himself look a plonker. A bit like you. 

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Seems to me testing is improving, but nowhere near where it needs to be. 

Drive through testing is a great first step and will allow for most people to access tests. However, what about those with no access to a car? I'm not sure a taxi driver would be happy to take you through a testing site..

I guess id have to get a rental for a day.. 

This is the guidance when going through the process of booking a time slot (one of the stages requires you to enter your car registration).

image.png.5c78b6c196617dd52bc68a2b52be9bcd.png

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This is the guidance when going through the process of booking a time slot (one of the stages requires you to enter your car registration).

image.png.5c78b6c196617dd52bc68a2b52be9bcd.png

Its a bit poor really there is no defined plan for those without cars/access to a car. I know most people have access but many people don't have one. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I agree it is the timing and quality of the tests that is crucial.

So the people sitting there bashing their computer complaining that the Government have fallen short of their target is pointless.

We are where we are.

We just need to get testing numbers as high as possible ready for when numbers are low enough to make the track, test, trace a worthwhile exercise.

This isn't me trying to defend the Government as I will obviously now be accused of, it's trying to look at things in a practical manner.

Why we didnt have the ability to track, test, trace is a question to be asked when this is all over.

But this brings us full circle as we are nowhere near that amount. The questions therefore are why, what precisely are they going to do about it and how quickly. As there are legitimate concerns about the competence of this administration to deal with this, they should be much more transparent about their plans to reassure us, the public.

Re asking questions when its all over, I would be happy with that if a) the level of emergency wasnt as severe as is currently & b) if this Government didnt have a track record of suppressing/delaying debate as seen with the Grenfell inquiry & report into alledged Russian inteference in the Brexit Referendum

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

But this brings us full circle as we are nowhere near that amount. The questions therefore are why, what precisely are they going to do about it and how quickly. As there are legitimate concerns about the competence of this administration to deal with this, they should be much more transparent about their plans to reassure us, the public.

Re asking questions when its all over, I would be happy with that if a) the level of emergency wasnt as severe as is currently & b) if this Government didnt have a track record of suppressing/delaying debate as seen with the Grenfell inquiry & report into alledged Russian inteference in the Brexit Referendum

Not sure what numbers of tests are required?

Based on the fact that our numbers are near South Korea I am assuming that we arent too far away?

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Based on the fact that our numbers are near South Korea I am assuming that we arent too far away?

South Korea reported no new domestic cases today so their numbers of tests will fall away.

By contrast we've still got thousands infected & no real visibility on who has had it or not. Consequently our number of tests will ultimately far exceed South Korea, something that Im sure will be manipulated by grasping ministers in the weeks to follow. As to precise numbers, I think something closer to the French ambition for 700k tests daily (by next week) will be needed as a minimum.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

The shorter version was better, but as ever that gets removed, whilst your offensive post is allowed to stand. 

the point that you miss, is that unrealistic fantasy targets which lack credibility, expose the health secretary as a dreamer. A bit like mr trump half believing that if he says it will all be over by Easter Sunday, then maybe he can actually will it to happen. If our man was more closely engaged in the reality and practicality of making things happen, instead of dreaming up headlines for the media, then maybe we would get real improvements sooner. Instead he has just made himself look a plonker. A bit like you. 

What makes you think 100,000 tests a day is a fantasy? Based on the trend from the past week and the end of previous months, I'm expecting to see massive jumps in testing numbers (from the 52,000 on the 28th) over the next 2 days of reporting.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Have I upset you poppet? The shorter version was better, it made more sense.

3 hours ago, TramRam said:

For some one who voted Tory I'm pi$$ed off, We now have the 2nd highest Covid-19 death rate in Europe, Most likely soon to be the highest, My Mother passed away 2 weeks ago, 92 years old in a nursing home in Normanton suffering from Dementia, A Doctor was called, Wouldn't sign the death certificate as he's not her Doctor, Her own Doctor would not sign the death certificate as he didn't know the cause of death, Now we're waiting for an autopsy report to determine the cause.

No funeral date as of yet, It's not our Governments fault she passed away, Even if Covid-19 was the cause, We're the 5/6th richest nation on earth, We have some of the best if not the best medical teams/hospitals in the World, And yet some one some where seemed to be a little lax, Scientists, Ministers, Medical experts, Therse are the people that we expect to be our support in situations of this magnatude, Would another Political party have done any better. That we'll never know.

What I do know is if this continues unabated I can see trouble ahead.

Sorry for your loss mate. Hope the autopsy is completed in a timely fashion so that you guys are out of limbo and can plan accordingly. 

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Sorry for your loss mate. Hope the autopsy is completed in a timely fashion so that you guys are out of limbo and can plan accordingly. 

Thanks and appreciated and to those who have sent one of these?, I guess there's quite a few in the same situation as us, Only 10 can attend we believe, 4 siblings, 9 Grand Children, 8 Great Grand Children and others, Not all will be allowed to go, No wake, Just straight home after.

She'll be Cremated, So when the ashes are given to us...then a good send off will ensue for all concerned.

56 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

South Korea reported no new domestic cases today so their numbers of tests will fall away.

By contrast we've still got thousands infected & no real visibility on who has had it or not. Consequently our number of tests will ultimately far exceed South Korea, something that Im sure will be manipulated by grasping ministers in the weeks to follow. As to precise numbers, I think something closer to the French ambition for 700k tests daily (by next week) will be needed as a minimum.

I thought I'd 700,000 tests per day in France but, I think it's 700,000 per week so, pretty much in line with the UK goal.

This is from Reuters

image.thumb.png.75d851c357f1a1c56b30fc920ac448ae.png

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's never been a case of 'how many' but 'when'. I know that you will pretty well hear nothing against this government, but by basically contemplating 'herd immunity' from the outset instead of testing, tracing and isolating, they didn't merely drop the ball - they kicked it into the motorway.

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's never been a case of 'how many' but 'when'. I know that you will pretty well hear nothing against this government, but by basically contemplating 'herd immunity' from the outset instead of testing, tracing and isolating, they didn't merely drop the ball - they kicked it into the motorway.

I will hear plenty said against the Government if I think it is fair criticism.

I would guess that it was medical/scientific experts that had put the concept of herd immunity forward rather than the Government.

Could it be possible that the advice they got was wrong but was based on the information available at the time. Knowing your thoughts about the Government I assume this is an idea that you would be unwilling to entertain.

Hopefully at a later date we will find out what the decision making process involved and if and where mistakes were made.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

81,611 tests yesterday and I expect at the very least 90,000 for today. Yeah... 100,000 was truly unrealistic!

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

81,611 tests yesterday and I expect at the very least 90,000 for today. Yeah... 100,000 was truly unrealistic!

If you missed your target by 18.39%, would you be satisfied?

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If you missed your target by 18.39%, would you be satisfied?

Depends how long it would take to attain the other 18.39%.

Archived