The Politics Thread 2020

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Germany seem to have managed ok. 

That's ok then! The south west of the UK have managed ok too. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Maybe he's doing both - calling for an investigation and working with the government (as best he can) to beat coronavirus?

I think an explanation as to why the British Companies that are offering PPE are being overlooked would be good and why Turkey seem to be preferred to them? There must be a reason but it hasn’t been explained properly. Also a look into whether some countries handling of this pandemic has worked better but I think that is a long way off and not something for now.

All the stuff about when the lockdown was called was pot luck and I think there must be other factors to keep the death toll low.

46 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I think an explanation as to why the British Companies that are offering PPE are being overlooked would be good and why Turkey seem to be preferred to them? There must be a reason but it hasn’t been explained properly. Also a look into whether some countries handling of this pandemic has worked better but I think that is a long way off and not something for now.

All the stuff about when the lockdown was called was pot luck and I think there must be other factors to keep the death toll low.

I'd hope it's just as something as simple as it's better to bulk buy from a supplier they've used before rather than buying from hundreds of new suppliers.

Regarding of comparing other countries handling of it, I really think we should concentrate on ourselves.

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Regarding of comparing other countries handling of it, I really think we should concentrate on ourselves.

Isn't that missing a great opportunity to learn from others' successes? Very good piece in private eye today about how Germany and a couple of other countries tackled it with ruthless efficiency from the start, which has made the difference. 

The obvious difference between us and Germany is that we only breached 360,000 tests in total recently. Germany are getting through that many tests weekly. Their strategy is pretty simple - test, identify, isolate and treat. More efficient testing means in higher numbers leads to patients being treated earlier which in turn leads to fewer fatalities. This seems to be a common theme across the countries who have made a good fist of combating the spread of the virus. Unfortunately, we're not one of them.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd hope it's just as something as simple as it's better to bulk buy from a supplier they've used before rather than buying from hundreds of new suppliers.

The comparisons being made also might not be accurate.

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/global_cfr_estimates.html

This analysis may show that the infection mortality rate in the UK is in fact lower than Germany. 

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure I understand how we can know how many unrecorded cases there are!

I looked at the link provided and it almost gave me a migraine trying to get my head around all the rationale and formulae. I think there must be too many mathematicians out there with a lot of time on their hands normally employed calculating expected goals.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I looked at the link provided and it almost gave me a migraine trying to get my head around all the rationale and formulae. I think there must be too many mathematicians out there with a lot of time on their hands normally employed calculating expected goals.

The sad thing is, we should just have been testing. Forget hypotheses and projections. Just test.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure I understand how we can know how many unrecorded cases there are!

It's all in the link. I agree it's not easy to follow and the intervals are very large. Hence why more studies need to be conducted. However with that being said, there is s huge irony on this forum of people saying listen to the experts, yet offering nothing but personal opinions. Simply testing people is flawed. There needs to be a methodology. Similar methodology to political polling. 

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The sad thing is, we should just have been testing. Forget hypotheses and projections. Just test.

I think it was Raab was asked that in a briefing. Why don't we test as much as Germany.

Answered straight up: we don't have the industrial capacity Germnay has in respect of manufacturing and processing the required kit.

Maybe we need to back away from globalised trade and produce stuff at home?

Catching up on news and have reached the bit about virtual parliament. Nice to know our elected representatives are focussing on the big issues.....

.......complaints that rules on dress code, virtual backgrounds and numbers of members allowed into the chamber are being rushed in without, er, adequate parliamentary scrutiny

......the peers asking whether they will still get their £323 daily allowance if they are attending a virtual sitting

good grief...? 

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

? Perhaps. However, when was the last time someone looked at the equations polling companies used? The conclusion from more research that is conducted, is that the infection rate of mortality is considerably lower than was being reported 2 weeks ago, 4 weeks ago, 8 weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Well, obviously reacting to the test results as well but I know you meant that. 

I know there has be a whole lot of debate about herd immunity but I do wonder if, what the Germans have done which sounds a bit like the complete opposite, could be storing up more problems for the future unless/until a reliable vaccine is found.

Thank goodness it’s not me making the decisions.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Germany tests per million population 24,738 with 5,315 deaths

Italy tests per million population 25,028 with 25,085 deaths.

Are the people calling for more tests now barking up the wrong tree?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Germany tests per million population 24,738 with 5,315 deaths

Italy tests per million population 25,028 with 25,085 deaths.

Are the people calling for more tests now barking up the wrong tree?

The German death stats are a waste of time. They don't record Covid deaths like the vast majority of countries do in respect of recording the reason of death. 

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

I think it was Raab was asked that in a briefing. Why don't we test as much as Germany.

Answered straight up: we don't have the industrial capacity Germnay has in respect of manufacturing and processing the required kit.

Maybe we need to back away from globalised trade and produce stuff at home?

Maybe we should never have destroyed our own manufacturing industries in the first place.

As we chased increased profits and fortunes for the few, off the back of exploited labour abroad and communities destroyed at home - no one stopped to think that we might need our own manufacturing industry one day

Archived