Don’t be scared mr Cocu 4-4-2 diamond please!

Ramarena

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rammieib said:

Midfield four but Holmes and Knight tucked in more rather than being wingers is how I saw it.

Saw the benefit of two up front after 20 seconds!

Well, it was Knight and Waghorn on the wings. Very flat midfield four.

And that benefit of two up front was actually Knight coming inside from the wing to make the pass.

Otherwise agreed ? 

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

Well, it was Knight and Waghorn on the wings. Very flat midfield four.

And that benefit of two up front was actually Knight coming inside from the wing to make the pass.

Otherwise agreed ? 

I was actually referring to how we started and the tactics that Cocu sent the team out with - should have made that clearer.

I’m not convinced that was a diamond myself. It was definitely a 4231 to start with, and then became some weird 4221 after the sending off, which was kinda like a flat 4 but with the centre mids ever so slightly deeper. I do agree with the sentiment though. Today was a day to drop a bit deeper and battle away, given we had 10 men for over 70 minutes. But with 11 men, we do need to be far less cautious than Cocu has been so far. That doesn’t just come from a formation though, it’s a mentality. The mentality to press High up the pitch, the bravery to commit men forward. That’s what we want to see.

Archived