UEFA Youth League - DCFC U19's vs FC Minsk U19 (2nd Leg)

Bubbles

23 minutes ago, U.M. said:

....and the rare sighting of an aborted substitution.  Think the guy coming on was missed off the team sheet.  That's a new one for me.

Yes, really strange that he wasn't listed. I can't believe how many substitutions they were allowed - 5 I think. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes, really strange that he wasn't listed. I can't believe how many substitutions they were allowed - 5 I think. 

How annoying to travel all that way and miss out for admin reasons.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

He's competing for a place with Shinnie, right? You wouldnt put Shinnie and Sibley in the same lineup would you? 

Plays further forward than Shinnie so in theory, yes.

That brilliant second half on Friday evening against Everton under 23s was Bird holding, with Knight and Sibley ahead. They looked a real unit - great understanding between the three.

25 minutes ago, angieram said:

That brilliant second half on Friday evening against Everton under 23s was Bird holding, with Knight and Sibley ahead. They looked a real unit - great understanding between the three.

Said to my mate that in a couple of years that would be the first team midfield. 

I think I might be off with the time though, more likely a couple of months, maybe even a couple of games ?

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Sibley needs to be in the first team. He's got the highest ceiling of anyone at this club. 

Probably needs help to change a light bulb though. 

55 minutes ago, angieram said:

53 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just because they can both tackle doesn’t mean they’re the same player.

So the way I have seen the U23s most oftern...

Bird is a CDM, so competing with Beilik & Huddlestone

Sibley is a box to box midfielder so competing with Shinnie

Knight is the playmaker, so competing with Dowell / Holmes / Paterson (and Rooney when he arrives).

In terms of getting a midfield balance, I don't see him replacing Bielik. As you say, he's not a CDM, he plays further forward.

I also don't know if he's really creative enough to play to no.10 role and replace Paterson or Holmes.

So I honestly do think its Shinnie he's competing with.  Unless you can persuade me otherwise?  How would you line up a midfield 3 that included Shinnie and Sibley?

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thing is people will and have jumped on the “throw the kids in” bandwagon.... 

Didn’t those three play against a second string forest side in the league cup ?

theres a big step up from accademy football to the real deal 

13 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

So the way I have seen the U23s most oftern...

Bird is a CDM, so competing with Beilik & Huddlestone

Sibley is a box to box midfielder so competing with Shinnie

Knight is the playmaker, so competing with Dowell / Holmes / Paterson (and Rooney when he arrives).

In terms of getting a midfield balance, I don't see him replacing Bielik. As you say, he's not a CDM, he plays further forward.

I also don't know if he's really creative enough to play to no.10 role and replace Paterson or Holmes.

So I honestly do think its Shinnie he's competing with.  Unless you can persuade me otherwise?  How would you line up a midfield 3 that included Shinnie and Sibley?

I'll hold my hands up and say that I haven't seen every U23 game. However, the bits I have seen suggests that Sibley likes to drive forward with the ball, pushing the defence back before passing or hitting a shot. I don't necessarily think that's Shinnie's game, and I can certainly imagine him sitting in (as I believe he did for Aberdeen) whilst Sibley pushes forward. So it could perhaps be a triangle of Bielik at the base, with Shinnie and Sibley (as the creator) the two ahead of him. Or even Shinnie at the base (though I can't see Cocu sacrificing a playmaker at the base of midfield) with Sibley (as the runner, rather than the main creative force) and Holmes/Dowell/Rooney ahead him him. 

Those are both 4-3-3 midfield lineups, however, and I think you'd be right in saying that they're too similar if we were to play 4-2-3-1. For that formation, I reckon you'd have to pick a passer (Bielik/Huddlestone) alongside Sibley/Shinnie, with Paterson/Rooney/Dowell/Holmes in the hole (the first and last of whom could also play in one of the wide spots).

Watching the highlights, the sheer excitement on the face of the Minsk players when they made it 5-1; and then again when they made it 5-2, perhaps says something about the perceived levels.

Perhaps an underserved perception for them to hold; they didn't look worse than many of last season's English U18 opponents; we dealt a few absolute hammerings in the league.

Maybe the perception comes from an understanding of knowing how talented our team in particular is, though.

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Totally agree with you, Notts Ram. I wouldn't be starting that midfield now. I just think there's great potential for the future.

I would like to see one or two of them a bit more involved though.

Bird is gradually becoming stronger physically so I'd say he's farthest behind a start, just because of the position he plays in. Knight and Sibley - they are fine now, but introduce them gradually. And as you say, not all at once!

We had SIbley, Buchanan and Whittaker start the Forest game. Bird and Mitchell-Lawson came on as subs. 

I said in another thread that I think they are too good for the youth leagues atm, but I don't think most of them are quite ready for first team Championship football yet. I do however think they would greatly benefit from being loaned out to a lower league or Scottish team similar to Max Lowe.

Thing is though, we made so many changes against Forest that it's hard to gage how well they did. Playing so many academy players/ second string players in one game doesn't exactly ease them into it, particularly away at your local rivals. I'd like to see them introduced slowly into a proper spine of a team.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Thing is though, we made so many changes against Forest that it's hard to gage how well they did. Playing so many academy players/ second string players in one game doesn't exactly ease them into it, particularly away at your local rivals. I'd like to see them introduced slowly into a proper spine of a team.

Forest changed virtually their entire team as well though. I don't disagree that we should be easing them in slowly though. We seem to have given up entirely on youth players in the starting 11 after initially giving Knight a few games. I know Bogle and Lowe are technically products of the youth teams, but I'd still like to see some of the others getting a few minutes especially with some of the poor performances of the senior players of late.

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Forest changed virtually their entire team as well though. I don't disagree that we should be easing them in slowly though. We seem to have given up entirely on youth players in the starting 11 after initially giving Knight a few games. I know Bogle and Lowe are technically products of the youth teams, but I'd still like to see some of the others getting a few minutes especially with some of the poor performances of the senior players of late.

5 of their team started Sunday, a further one would have but is injured, and another has been starting but was on the bench. They rotated, but didn't throw poo at a dart board like we did.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I'm not arguing about the result, but I'm arguing how much it's possible to draw from the performance with such wholesale changes, we didn't have a control variable, in a way. I'd like to see Knight and Sibley slowly put into the first team but in what is clearly a proper side, so we can see how they would look with first team players around them. 

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

5 of their team started Sunday, a further one would have but is injured, and another has been starting but was on the bench. They rotated, but didn't throw poo at a dart board like we did.

Until they played us Forest had kept virtually the same team for every game (unlike us) and the only three players they didn't change were Worrall, Lolley and Samba - one of whom is the goalkeeper. The entire rest of the team changed. We had a young team, but so did they - our average age was only slightly lower than theirs. They only changed one less outfield player than us.

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm not arguing about the result, but I'm arguing how much it's possible to draw from the performance with such wholesale changes, we didn't have a control variable, in a way. I'd like to see Knight and Sibley slowly put into the first team but in what is clearly a proper side, so we can see how they would look with first team players around them. 

This is basically exactly what I said in my comment. We used to use Knight in the first team, but his appearances have almost stopped completely now.

Archived