Eliud Kipchoge. Sub 2 hour Marathon.

Smyth_18

Surprised there is no chat on this here yet!

Arguably the greatest achievement in the history of sport. The last 'impossible' barrier has been broken. (Other than Derby County getting promotion to the premier league).

We're all capable of so much more than we think and this man has just proved that. His speech after the run could be as iconic as Roger Bannister and Neil Armstrong.

A lot deem running boring. But I can honestly say it saved me. I honestly think there's a big chance if it wasn't for running, I would be pretty much wheelchair bound, up to my eyeballs in pain meds. Next year I will be going for a sub 4 hour Marathon and several ultramarathons.

A truly historic day and I admit I shed a tear as he came up to the finish line. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Arguably the greatest achievement in the history of sport. The last 'impossible' barrier has been broken. (Other than Derby County getting promotion to the premier league).

We're all capable of so much more than we think and this man has just proved that. His speech after the run could be as iconic as Roger Bannister and Neil Armstrong.

A lot deem running boring. But I can honestly say it saved me. I honestly think there's a big chance if it wasn't for running, I would be pretty much wheelchair bound, up to my eyeballs in pain meds. Next year I will be going for a sub 4 hour Marathon and several ultramarathons.

A truly historic day and I admit I shed a tear as he came up to the finish line. 

Each to their own but I hated it. Sky commentary was so overhyped which was hilarious given the vid feed was 4 seconds behind.  Just a concocted pre prepared training run with a host of pacemakers.  Impressive but not in the same category as Bannister etc.  glad you were happy but not for me thanks

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Each to their own but I hated it. Sky commentary was so overhyped which was hilarious given the vid feed was 4 seconds behind.  Just a concocted pre prepared training run with a host of pacemakers.  Impressive but not in the same category as Bannister etc.  glad you were happy but not for me thanks

And I thought it was just me......

I cannot deny it was a brilliant run by Kipchoge, but didnt enjoy the 'event'.

I didnt even realise it was happening, all the athletics talk was about Mo last night. 

This guy has pissed me off. 

im doing my first half marathon tomorrow. In January 5km daunted me, and my only aim was to take part in the local 5km fun run without having a heart attack. 10 months later I’m doing a half marathon. 

Now I’ll consider any time over an hour a failure. 

in the army we have to run 2.4km in 10:30. After lots of work, I have achieved this. I’m nearly dead at the end, but I can do it. The fastest can do it in 9. The elite can do it in about 8. 

ive worked out that this guy was going at a pace that would complete that 2.4km in less than 7:30, and then maintaining that pace for 2hrs!!!! That is super human. 

7 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

I posted in athletic championship as soon as he did it. Got up early just to watch it. Truly remarkable. The average joe sprints at the speed this guy ran for 2hours. Good luck with your target. 

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

Bannister was paced by Chris Chataway and Chris Brasher, so it was in exactly the same category.

On 12/10/2019 at 23:05, Montgolfier said:

Bannister was paced by Chris Chataway and Chris Brasher, so it was in exactly the same category.

One was recognised as a world record the other not, wonder why that was.  The op also compared it to Neil Armstrong, which is really wrong.  Pacemaking in races is permitted but chataway didn’t join the race after 400 yards and then drop out at half mile to be replaced by Brasher

Stupid terrorists. Don’t even have to do anything to cause chaos. 

My half marathon was almost completely cancelled as we stood on the start line cos of a ‘suspicious vehicle’. In the end, they had to shorten the route. They blamed it on flooding, then we got an email after saying it was this vehicle. But it turned out to be nothing!!!

shortened the half marathon by about 3km, so I don’t feel like I’ve done it properly now. 

So my official time on my certificate is 1:46, so now I’ve got to count that as my PB and try to beat it at the Derby Marathon in June. 

That one goes through Alvaston Park though. Lots of suspicious vehicles round there. 

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

One was recognised as a world record the other not, wonder why that was.  The op also compared it to Neil Armstrong, which is really wrong.  Pacemaking in races is permitted but chataway didn’t join the race after 400 yards and then drop out at half mile to be replaced by Brasher

Because it was only a mile long for starters. One man travelled, on his own steam, for 26.2 miles in under 2 hours. It is that simple. Pacers didn't pull him.

I compared his speech to Neil Armstrong's, not the feat. 

4 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Because it was only a mile long for starters. One man travelled, on his own steam, for 26.2 miles in under 2 hours. It is that simple. Pacers didn't pull him.

I compared his speech to Neil Armstrong's, not the feat. 

ok re Armstrong.

Not sure why he used the relay pacemakers if he didn't need them.  They were integral to the achievement which is amazing but is not a world record.  We have different views which is fine by me

He did need the pacemakers to create the best conditions to make it possible. It was made possible by a huge team.

He wasn't doing it for a world record, he was doing it to run the marathon distance in under 2 hours.

To add to that, he is also the world record holder for the marathon in 2:01:35.

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

ok re Armstrong.

Not sure why he used the relay pacemakers if he didn't need them.  They were integral to the achievement which is amazing but is not a world record.  We have different views which is fine by me

So when people swim the channel with a support boat next to them, it doesn’t count, cos it’s cheating. 

Archived