Cagliari racist abuse of Lukaku

Sith Happens

It happens here, in England, every day. I was flying the other week and at the gate the staff were checking for bags that were too big to fit in the overhead compartments. I watched them pull aside six or seven people, every single one of them was what we would call BAME, while all the male, pale and stale with their suits and office on wheels were let by. Utterly scandalous and I certainly would have said something, except my bag was oversized.

And that is real life, we say something when we're not affected.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kinda with @G STAR RAM on this.

Of course, clubs should be responsible for anyone getting on to the pitch, and should have adequate security in place to ensure it doesn't happen, whether said interlopers attack other players/staff/refs/other fans etc, or simply run around (naked or clothed) acting the goat!
And of course, should anyone in the stands be heard/reported for using racist/offensive language, they (the club) should be seen to act accordingly, namely to ban said individuals.

But I'm not convinced clubs should be held responsible (by higher authorities) for mindless individuals who, to a point at least, are beyond the control of the respective club(s).

Anyone can shout something offensive (or throw something, for that matter) in an instance... any time, anywhere.  It cannot be stopped, but it can be subsequently punished (Individual banned from the stadium).

And where does the club's responsibility end?  The stands?  The concourse?  The stadium perimeter?  Local streets/stadium approach?  Town centre?  An hour either side of the start and finish of the game?  Same day as a game? 
Remember, some (away) fans are in the locality the night before, in local hotels/hostelries.  Are the clubs still responsible for them then?

Fans should not be punished because fellow fans (of the same club) have broken laws (e.g. Club being made to play "behind closed doors").
Clubs should not be punished because fans of other clubs (in the same country/Football Association) have broken laws (e.g. See previous reference to all things Liverpudlian).

These people are breaking laws.  Let the law deal with it, whilst the club can undoubtedly do it's bit, by banning guilty individuals from their own stadiums/property.

When a club is punished, so are their law-abiding fans!

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I mean if a fan is racist they are racist, banning them from a football ground won't stop them from being racist. Should they also be banned from the cinema? Restaurants? Shops?

Never thought about it earlier, but you could be onto something here! 

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

The FA fined Milwall 10k for racist chanting earlier this season, 50k to Huddersfield for wearing a shirt with an oversized betting logo, and Leeds 200k for spying, does that sound like our authorities are taking it serious or is it just a token effort ?

Millwall, the club, have done a hell of a lot to clean up their act and do loads of anti-racism stuff in the community.

I wouldn’t have fined them at all to be honest. They’ve done their bit and if after all that some free-willed customers want to be racist then there’s not a lot they can do.

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I mean if a fan is racist they are racist, banning them from a football ground won't stop them from being racist. Should they also be banned from the cinema? Restaurants? Shops?

8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Never thought about it earlier, but you could be onto something here! 

Indeed.
Proven guilty in a court of law, said establishments could effectively ban them from their properties.  Name, address, and mugshot in the local rag would make things a little easier!

As it stands, such problems within football grounds remain with football, leaving the rest of society to go to hell in a handcart!

I read today that Juventus have had to take action against their own supporters.

Apparently some Ultras threatened to start racist chanting to embarrass the club unless they were allocated free tickets to resell as they saw fit!

Hartlepool are taking action against the racists who blighted their home defeat by Dover yesterday. They need to realise that it is one thing to be a racist - it is quite another to voice that racism, but they are becoming emboldened.

Its not about whether or not it’s the responsibility of the football club to decry racism. It’s every bodies responsibility. So it’s socially and morally irresponsible to shrug your shoulders and say it’s not our fault or problem, it’s a societal problem. Society will only change if people and institutions change, and who better than a local football club. Would it have hurt them to issue out a few stadium bans? Would they find their next match boycotted by the fans that weren’t banned?

and then for the Italian fa to not act just reaffirms that it’s okay. Or that if it’s not okay, no one cares enough to do anything about it, so it’s okay really. 

but uefa aren’t going to ban Italy because of their backwards view on racial equality. They let Qatar have the World Cup ffs. 

where does the clubs responsibility end? Wherever they want it to, a club is a privately owned institution. They don’t have to get involved if they don’t want to and they don’t mind the rest of the world thinking they’re ignorant idiots. But if I owned a club and just heard someone in the street making a racist remark, and knew they were a season ticket holder, I’d say they weren’t welcome in my stadium, as is my right. What’s one less fan. I’m sure we’re not that desperate for fans that we can’t live without one racist numpty. And the message would soon spread.

thats the only way you can effect change. And as a pillar of the local community, the football club, you’ve got the power to make that change. With great power, comes great responsibility. 

Archived