v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did that respect continue when, following midweek cup games, we lost to Millwall, Bolton and Rotherham?

Millwall & Bolton were after Cup games but Rotherham was not, it was actually after an international break.

I don’t think the Oldham cup game can be used as an excuse for the Millwall defeat as we didn’t put a full strength team out at Oldham, we just defended poorly for the first 20 minutes (set pieces were our downfall as usual).

@Jourdan I don’t understand the comment of ONLY a cup game in August. Do you only care about cup games if we’re in the semi-finals or something?

Does that also mean we shouldn’t care about Saturday’s game as it’s only August too?

Persinally I want us to win every game whatever competition it’s in.

13 minutes ago, Will the Ram said:

Millwall & Bolton were after Cup games but Rotherham was not, it was actually after an international break.

I don’t think the Oldham cup game can be used as an excuse for the Millwall defeat as we didn’t put a full strength team out at Oldham, we just defended poorly for the first 20 minutes (set pieces were our downfall as usual).

@Jourdan I don’t understand the comment of ONLY a cup game in August. Do you only care about cup games if we’re in the semi-finals or something?

Does that also mean we shouldn’t care about Saturday’s game as it’s only August too?

From memory, we had a full strength team out at Oldham.

We all want to win every game but not all of us completely lose it when we lose a game, I think the other poster is probably pointing out that there is no need for any more of a reaction to losing this game than any other. If anything there should be less of a reaction because it was a game that the manager chose to look at our younger players!

1 hour ago, Will the Ram said:

The League Cup lacks prestige and we are a Championship club with typically a very slim chance of winning the competition.

It’s not too uncommon for us to be knocked out by League One or League Two sides in the early stages. Had we lost to Scunthorpe, would anyone have been shocked or even upset?

Now if it was the FA Cup, that’s a different story. The prestige and the magic and the value of the FA Cup - it’s on a whole another level. It’s the most famous cup competition in the world.

Boys from near and far dream of lifting the FA Cup and fans young and old dream of seeing their team at Wembley.

The League Cup does not stir up the same excitement or the same magic for me, so our performance is kind of immaterial to me. You enjoy it while it lasts but for a club in our position, it’s not going to determine how successful our season is. It’s a bonus.

Promotion is our aim, so every league game matters, but you have 46 of those to make amends for any bad performances.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Everton players looking very UP for it just now, after going 2-1 up against Lincoln. Don't know why they're bothered it's a nothing game and a nothing Cup.

It is a little different.

Everton are a top 10 Premier League side but rarely consistent enough to get into the top 6-7.

But they are the kind of club strong enough to win the League Cup if everything were to align. It is one of their few realistic avenues to winning a trophy and reaching Europe, so it makes sense that they would play a strong side and take it seriously.

As a Championship club, our league performance is everything.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh. Well it hasn't been great overall.

I agree with you, Roy. I've not seen us play well yet either.

But it's very rare for us to start the season strongly.

We always seem to come alive between October and December and shoot up the table.

Will it be true to form this season? I don't know. But I don't think August is a time for too much concern.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh. Well it hasn't been great overall.

It's true..

Very Clement like up to now.

I think that we are in for a difficult season where cocu tries to fit square pegs into round holes instead of just using the round ones.

Come next year,then he will be in a position to bring in his own players that fit his system and how he wants to play.

From that point there can be no excuses.

Question is whether the fans and Mel give him the time if we are scrabbling around at the bottom of the league...that will be a hard call if it comes to that.

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's true..

I think that we are in for a difficult season where cocu tries to fit square pegs into round holes instead of just using the round ones.

Come next year,then he will be in a position to bring in his own players that fit his system and how he wants to play.

Question is whether the fans and Mel give him the time if we are scrabbling around at the bottom of the league...that will be a hard call if it comes to that.

the way fans are slashing their wrists after Tuesday we might not have many fans left next year

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's true..

Considering Clement got the boot when the team were only a few points of auto promotion. I can't see any manager surviving should we find ourselves scrambling around the bottom of the league.  

7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I’m talking about how many were left at the end to applaud the kids...?

I did notice that the entire team came right across to the fans to applaud us, something which they haven't done ll season. All that has happened at the end of matches is that a few, sometimes only 3 or 4, have wandered to the edge of the centre circle and given us a clap. Last night suggests they knew that the fans had been sold short. 

What was good was that the fans didn't get on the player's backs, and for much of the match were quite noisy and supportive.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

From memory, we had a full strength team out at Oldham.

We all want to win every game but not all of us completely lose it when we lose a game, I think the other poster is probably pointing out that there is no need for any more of a reaction to losing this game than any other. If anything there should be less of a reaction because it was a game that the manager chose to look at our younger players!

Sorry the team vs Oldham was stronger than I remember. 

I just didn’t agree with playing the majority of the players he chose to play with the young players last night.

10 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Did you see any evidence of this under Clement's tenure? Any at all?

If not, why pose the question and if you did, would you care to share what it was?

I saw none of that at all...

And that was allegedly one of the reasons he was sacked as I recall..he went totally rogue to Mel's ethos in an effort to gain promotion.

I fear that big Phil may go too far the other way and end up with the same outcome if he's not careful!

Lamps seemed to have the balance right over his short tenure i.m.o

And I don't recall posing any such a question,I was answering someone else's.

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I saw none of that at all...

And that was allegedly one of the reasons he was sacked as I recall..he went totally rogue to Mel's ethos in an effort to gain promotion.

I fear that big Phil may go too far the other way and end up with the same outcome if he's not careful!

Lamps seemed to have the balance right over his short tenure i.m.o

And I don't recall posing any such a question,I was answering someone else's.

It was put to you that your comparison was unfair, Clement and Cocu, on the basis that the latter has a specific remit to develop our youth the former was not. Your response was...

32 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I thought that the Derby way was integral to all of that?

Hence my question!

Archived