Athletic UK

CWC1983

I see theres been a load of Journalists this morning promoting this new venture. 

'The Athletic launches in the UK with focus on 'local' coverage of Premier League football teams'

It seems to be a US concept brought to the UK

Its a subscription service and has already has Amy Lawrence and Rafa Honegstein signed up. 

The Derby local representative is Ryan Conway.

It will be interesting to see if people will pay for news about their club, and also to see if clubs give preferential treatment to those behind a paywall. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Phil Hay left YEP to join them to cover Leeds. Our reporter isn’t even a Derby fan. 

Looks to be a glorified HITC to me so far, be keen to be proven wrong but the only Derby news I need is gonna come from John Percy. 

Do a lot more full reports. In depth opinion pieces etc. It’s subscription for a reason, if the American version is anything to go by. Won’t just be peddling cheap gossip. 

44 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Our reporter isn’t even a Derby fan.

Neither is Steve Nicholson, Everton fan isn’t he? Phil Hay the Leeds reporter is a Sunderland fan I believe.

Not sure you have to be a fan to cover a team, in fact not being a fan might be better as it removes the emotional attachment allowing you to cover freely. Saying that I’m sure after covering a team for a number of years you do become a fan as you invest so much time into them.

I’ve signed up for the year, see what happens, loads of 50% off links floating around. Will use it for NFL coverage as well.

Nobody likes ads, so here’s the alternative, subscription based models. Already seen on this forum some can’t be bothered to even register for free to read a story on another website, interested to see if this will take off or not.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Neither is Steve Nicholson, Everton fan isn’t he? Phil Hay the Leeds reporter is a Sunderland fan I believe.

Not sure you have to be a fan to cover a team, in fact not being a fan might be better as it removes the emotional attachment allowing you to cover freely. Saying that I’m sure after covering a team for a number of years you do become a fan as you invest so much time into them.

I’ve signed up for the year, see what happens, loads of 50% off links floating around. Will use it for NFL coverage as well.

Nobody likes ads, so here’s the alternative, subscription based models. Already seen on this forum some can’t be bothered to even register for free to read a story on another website, interested to see if this will take off or not.

I guess what I mean is at least Nicholson is in with the club (in some capacity) and actually has covered them for years. This guy hasn’t as far as I’m aware. 

14 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I guess what I mean is at least Nicholson is in with the club (in some capacity) and actually has covered them for years. This guy hasn’t as far as I’m aware. 

Nicholson was new once upon a time, having just read his piece on getting the job, he’s spent the entire summer reading up on the club and watching games, also moving his family to Derby to cover the club. 

I don’t know the guy, if he will be any good, but I think it’s harsh to call it a glorified HITC where anyone can just sign up and become a “journalist” baiting for clicks.

I’ve read a few bits this morning on there and they are full articles, not your clickbaity titles with 2 paragraph articles based off one tweet or rehashed from The Sun with a survey in between.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

RamsTV and local media is good enough - local media especially just 'passes on' other outlets info. What info could they have that only they'd have?

it's not journalism in that way - it's more analysis and long-form reads. Basically everything the DET should be.

1 hour ago, David said:

Nicholson was new once upon a time, having just read his piece on getting the job, he’s spent the entire summer reading up on the club and watching games, also moving his family to Derby to cover the club. 

I don’t know the guy, if he will be any good, but I think it’s harsh to call it a glorified HITC where anyone can just sign up and become a “journalist” baiting for clicks.

I’ve read a few bits this morning on there and they are full articles, not your clickbaity titles with 2 paragraph articles based off one tweet or rehashed from The Sun with a survey in between.

Maybe it was slightly harsh on my part to call it a glorified HITC.

While I understand this is the way journalism is heading (which I do prefer than gaining revenue from ads and per clicks) I am more skeptical to be paying for content as a Derby fan. At least Athletic managed to lure Phil Hay away from YEP.

I'm going in on the free trial and see how he gets on.

24 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Maybe it was slightly harsh on my part to call it a glorified HITC.

While I understand this is the way journalism is heading (which I do prefer than gaining revenue from ads and per clicks) I am more skeptical to be paying for content as a Derby fan. At least Athletic managed to lure Phil Hay away from YEP.

I'm going in on the free trial and see how he gets on.

Not sure I would sign up just for Derby content to be honest, using it more to follow content across the EFL which you can’t really find in the nationals with the obsession with the Premier League. Will read the Derby content whilst I’m there obviously.

Plus the NFL where content has been blocked in this country under the GDPR law, journalists I wanted to read have jumped ship to The Athletic.

Paid £30 for the year which I think is a fair price, not sure I would stretch to £60 but I’ll see where it’s at in 12 months, be interesting to see if they are able to retain the memberships without the discounts. Poached a number of journalists from the nationals, spent £10m in doing so which is why I said it’s a bit harsh to label them a HITC. 

https://www.ft.com/content/8dc7ec28-b531-11e9-bec9-fdcab53d6959

If the pitch is a small fee for quality content then I don't have a fundamental objection just need to see if the product is worth it.

fir cutting edge upto the minute nonsense I trust the wisdom of twitter and the knowledge of HITC although I understand that anything you read on fans forums should be taken with a siberian salt mines worth of a pinch of salt.

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

if they cannot be bothered to advertise the prices in £sterling, they can forget about it. I'm not paying in dollars!

To get the Sterling price you need to go to the .co.uk site rather than .com ?

But, if you believe what the Bank of England is predicting our economy to do after Brexit, then the smart move is to pay in Dollars anyway!

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

To get the Sterling price you need to go to the .co.uk site rather than .com ?

But, if you believe what the Bank of England is predicting our economy to do after Brexit, then the smart move is to pay in Dollars anyway!

I was reading the page about Derby by the journalist writing about Derby, surely it should know I'm British dontcha know!

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I was reading the page about Derby by the journalist writing about Derby, surely it should know I'm British dontcha know!

The link in this thread uses .com that’s why, change it for .co.uk and you’ll be fine. 

It’s basically £59.99 for a year, or you can a pay a fiver monthly. Right now though loads of links around that offer 50% off, I used one and then cancelled the auto renew straight away.

Just been reading this...

https://theathletic.co.uk/1112938/2019/08/05/agents-buying-beds-for-clients-players-demanding-set-piece-bonuses-and-payment-of-divorce-bills-what-really-happens-in-the-transfer-window/

Sources remain anonymous, but interesting none the less, never heard of https://prod.transferroom.com/, wouldn’t mind a snoop around that for an hour ?

4 minutes ago, David said:

The link in this thread uses .com that’s why, change it for .co.uk and you’ll be fine. 

It’s basically £59.99 for a year, or you can a pay a fiver monthly. Right now though loads of links around that offer 50% off, I used one and then cancelled the auto renew straight away.

Just been reading this...

https://theathletic.co.uk/1112938/2019/08/05/agents-buying-beds-for-clients-players-demanding-set-piece-bonuses-and-payment-of-divorce-bills-what-really-happens-in-the-transfer-window/

Sources remain anonymous, but interesting none the less, never heard of https://prod.transferroom.com/, wouldn’t mind a snoop around that for an hour ?

I've got an idea, why don't you have a member only section of the forum, then just copy and paste everything into there. That way nobody else needs to pay.

Archived