Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CWC1983

Athletic UK

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, David said:

Neither is Steve Nicholson, Everton fan isn’t he? Phil Hay the Leeds reporter is a Sunderland fan I believe.

Not sure you have to be a fan to cover a team, in fact not being a fan might be better as it removes the emotional attachment allowing you to cover freely. Saying that I’m sure after covering a team for a number of years you do become a fan as you invest so much time into them.

I’ve signed up for the year, see what happens, loads of 50% off links floating around. Will use it for NFL coverage as well.

Nobody likes ads, so here’s the alternative, subscription based models. Already seen on this forum some can’t be bothered to even register for free to read a story on another website, interested to see if this will take off or not.

Hmm, I’m getting a bit worried you’re looking into this ‘subscription model’ thing with a bit too much enthusiasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Hmm, I’m getting a bit worried you’re looking into this ‘subscription model’ thing with a bit too much enthusiasm. 

I’m not sure it would work on forums, if that’s what you’re worried about.

Genuinely interested to see how it plays out though, you see there’s a growing number of people that believe the internet is ‘free’, they don’t want to be served adverts, be tracked, or even pay subscription fees but receive great content quickly on websites that work across all devices.

Even RamsTV fees have been criticised, the other week the club were charging £8 for the Rangers game, saw a few moaning and groaning away on twitter whilst Rangers were charging their fans £12 for the same game. You could actually buy all 3 for a tenner which I thought was decent value myself. 

Services need paying for, if the end users aren’t willing to then the services suffer as a result, if I like something I will pay for it.

If the DET started charging £2pm for ad free news, would people pay it? Some would, but I’m sure this forum would be full of people asking others to screenshot or tell them what was said. So this is what interests me, if these take off or not and what happens to those left behind. 

I also don’t buy the I only run ad blocker because sites have gone too far with ads now, the reason sites are loading more and more ads on are to cover the losses from ad block users to begin with, they started this war that has led to subscriptions.

I’ve stuck with just 3 banners per page, static, no video, even turned down offers of more lucrative ads yet still see people encourage others to use ad blockers. That’s pretty disheartening from my end where I believe there should be mutual respect. Never hidden the fact that this forum would not exist now without adverts, it’s far too big and expensive to run without.

Many of our forum rules are based on being family/advertiser friendly as well, rules which we could relax if we went down a subscription path but I just don’t see that being possible with the mindset of internet users.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, archram said:

@David, because I don’t understand these things, do you get the ad money anyway or do we need to click on them?

Just view the site as you normally would, that’s all, just need to be seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, David said:

I’m not sure it would work on forums, if that’s what you’re worried about.

Genuinely interested to see how it plays out though, you see there’s a growing number of people that believe the internet is ‘free’, they don’t want to be served adverts, be tracked, or even pay subscription fees but receive great content quickly on websites that work across all devices.

Even RamsTV fees have been criticised, the other week the club were charging £8 for the Rangers game, saw a few moaning and groaning away on twitter whilst Rangers were charging their fans £12 for the same game. You could actually buy all 3 for a tenner which I thought was decent value myself. 

Services need paying for, if the end users aren’t willing to then the services suffer as a result, if I like something I will pay for it.

If the DET started charging £2pm for ad free news, would people pay it? Some would, but I’m sure this forum would be full of people asking others to screenshot or tell them what was said. So this is what interests me, if these take off or not and what happens to those left behind. 

I also don’t buy the I only run ad blocker because sites have gone too far with ads now, the reason sites are loading more and more ads on are to cover the losses from ad block users to begin with, they started this war that has led to subscriptions.

I’ve stuck with just 3 banners per page, static, no video, even turned down offers of more lucrative ads yet still see people encourage others to use ad blockers. That’s pretty disheartening from my end where I believe there should be mutual respect. Never hidden the fact that this forum would not exist now without adverts, it’s far too big and expensive to run without.

Many of our forum rules are based on being family/advertiser friendly as well, rules which we could relax if we went down a subscription path but I just don’t see that being possible with the mindset of internet users.

You’ve sold me. If it means I can swear and post pictures of boobs like in the good old days, I’d pay a subscription. 

Share this post


Link to post

Quite happy to take the trial and if I like it, may subscribe. I have no problem with advertising but as have said before, as a distantly living Rams fan the DET site is hell nowadays. I hope the Athletic will take a go at doing it the right way.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Anyone been tempted to subscribe?

The few free articles I've read are reasonably good, and I wouldn't mind having lots of fresh content to read covering all sports, but is it worth £4 per month?

I seem to recall @David mentionning something about this or at least very similar. Cannot remember the thread i am afraid

 

Share this post


Link to post

Keep seeing this on my Facebook feed, some stuff looks interesting but I try to avoid sponsored crap popping up

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, nottingram said:

http://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan_id=45&pc=fv450&campaign_type=final-vortex&campaign_id=fv4sunday&source=twitterads

If this link still works it should be half price I think?

I haven’t subscribed yet but think I probably will

I wouldn't... the lead Derby writer thought Huddlestone was our best player on Saturday (he was our worst).

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Srg said:

I wouldn't... the lead Derby writer thought Huddlestone was our best player on Saturday (he was our worst).

I know football is a game of opinions but I just can't agree with that.  I remember sitting at points during the game pondering who the most skillful player in the team was.  For me it came down to both the Tom's (Huddlestone and Lawrence) who both showed some sublime touches.

So anyway I decided to look for back up and started at WhoScored.com (you've got to start somewhere, right?).  Top three players? Bogle, Roos and Clarke, which seems fairly reasonable.  Next 3?  Keogh, Dowell and Tom Huddlestone.  So not the worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I know football is a game of opinions but I just can't agree with that.  I remember sitting at points during the game pondering who the most skillful player in the team was.  For me it came down to both the Tom's (Huddlestone and Lawrence) who both showed some sublime touches.

So anyway I decided to look for back up and started at WhoScored.com (you've got to start somewhere, right?).  Top three players? Bogle, Roos and Clarke, which seems fairly reasonable.  Next 3?  Keogh, Dowell and Tom Huddlestone.  So not the worst.

Give Tom the ball to feet and he will play a sublime pass, but he will take 5 seconds longer over it than anyone else, and when the move inevitably brakes down he's not in the right place because he's gone walkies too far up the pitch and has literally no pace to get back into position. So yes, he will always have some sublime touches, and somewhere like WhoScored with stats on passing accuracy will love him... but he seriously hinders the team with his pondering and immobility. It's that point that I must stress - he hinders the team. Mobility and covering ground in that position would help us no end. bring on Bielik.

He's a professional version of me. I'm massive, can't defend, have no pace and won't head a ball, but i'll happily ping 40 yard passes all over the place if you give me the ball.

Edited by Srg

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Give Tom the ball to feet and he will play a sublime pass, but he will take 5 seconds longer over it than anyone else, and when the move inevitably brakes down he's not in the right place because he's gone walkies too far up the pitch and has literally no pace to get back into position. So yes, he will always have some sublime touches, and somewhere like WhoScored with stats on passing accuracy will love him... but he seriously hinders the team with his pondering and immobility.

He's a professional version of me. I'm massive, can't defend, have no pace and won't head a ball, but i'll happily ping 40 yard passes all over the place if you give me the ball.

By the sounds of it we could be twins 🤣

I think the fact that Tom rarely loses the ball acts as a form of insurance for the full backs to bomb on giving us width (and pace).  It'll be interesting to compare Tom with Bielik (when he starts playing) and how that changes the dynamic of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
On 05/08/2019 at 11:41, David said:

Not sure I would sign up just for Derby content to be honest, using it more to follow content across the EFL which you can’t really find in the nationals with the obsession with the Premier League. Will read the Derby content whilst I’m there obviously.

The Not The Top Twenty Podcast is good for EFL content.

Share this post


Link to post

Really not liking the guy for Derby on Twitter so far. Some examples of his poor work. 

It was a good save from Roos

10 players, no Waghorn or Huddlestone but has Malone who was taken off at H/T. I doubt Jozefzoon's average position was there 2nd half with him being LWB. 

🤷‍♂️

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, rynny said:

Really not liking the guy for Derby on Twitter so far. Some examples of his poor work. 

It was a good save from Roos

10 players, no Waghorn or Huddlestone but has Malone who was taken off at H/T. I doubt Jozefzoon's average position was there 2nd half with him being LWB. 

🤷‍♂️

 

The latter sounds over analysed tosh but I don’t know about Roos save, my recollection standing 10 rows back behind the goal, was how the flip(or words similar 😂) did he(Stoke) not score.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

The latter sounds over analysed tosh but I don’t know about Roos save, my recollection standing 10 rows back behind the goal, was how the flip(or words similar 😂) did he(Stoke) not score.

Before the miss.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.