Athletic UK

CWC1983

On 18/08/2019 at 02:54, rynny said:

Really not liking the guy for Derby on Twitter so far. Some examples of his poor work. 

It was a good save from Roos

10 players, no Waghorn or Huddlestone but has Malone who was taken off at H/T. I doubt Jozefzoon's average position was there 2nd half with him being LWB. 

?♂️

I couldn't help but notice his location on Twitter says Leeds. ?

Regarding The Athletic, having read a comment that was made a couple of years back by one of the founders I certainly won't ever be giving them any money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

“We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing,” Alex Mather, a co-founder of The Athletic, said in an interview in San Francisco. “We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

What a disgusting attitude!

He apologised on Twitter for the 'tone' of his comments, but the way I see it is he'd already shown his true colours and intentions with the original comment.

He said he's not rooting for newspapers to fail but give readers more choices, hmm yes, that's what being 'the last ones standing' means obviously. ?

That apology was clearly just damage control, they probably had a lot of people unsubscribe that day or something. ?‍♀️ ?

Edit: Forgot to mention that earlier that very same day he also tweeted this

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone with a subscription, the Tyrone Mings article is a very worthwhile read today. Inspirational in fact.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1178561/2019/09/03/the-making-of-the-most-lovely-man-mings-from-homeless-shelter-to-personal-chef-and-extra-sessions-with-terry/

'It’s the day after Gareth Southgate announced the England squad for the forthcoming Euro 2022 qualifiers and Chippenham — Mings’ home town — is buzzing.

This was where his mother, Dawn, used to carry the “football-mad kid” to training on her shoulders because she couldn’t afford a car. The homeless shelter where he lived with his mother and sisters for a short period when times were tough has now been knocked down but memories still remain. Mings has described it as “horrendous”.'

On 18/08/2019 at 02:54, rynny said:

Really not liking the guy for Derby on Twitter so far. Some examples of his poor work. 

It was a good save from Roos

10 players, no Waghorn or Huddlestone but has Malone who was taken off at H/T. I doubt Jozefzoon's average position was there 2nd half with him being LWB. 

?‍♂️

Aside from that, I've been quite impressed with him on Twitter so far. Someone who has paid for a subscription will be better informed than me on his work, though.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Aside from that, I've been quite impressed with him on Twitter so far. Someone who has paid for a subscription will be better informed than me on his work, though.

Pretty crap to be honest. 

Like reading a sixth formers homework rather than a professional review.

I particularly loved his article explaining Lowe was much narrower than Bogle, accompanied by touchmaps wrongly labeled, showing the opposite.

Archived