Sin bins in Grassroots Football

EnigmaRam

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red cards are pretty rare aren't they? But with the huge lack of respect in this sport for referees then hopefully this will get used more than red cards. 

It will do some good having to watch your team struggle because you abused how lenient the refs are. 

Refs don't want to spoil your game or hobby and waste your money. I think I've only ever seen red cards once and it was for punches thrown. 

More power to referees I say. Look at Rugby, tennis, boxing.... no officials have to put up with what goes on in football

Sith Happens

Don't like the idea but support anything to help with respect of refs.

Personally for kids football i would make it a red card offence if they argue with officials. Kids should be taught respect of their elders or those officiating.

It should never be ok for them to question or argue with the ref.

Also. Do something about parents that abuse refs too. 

I don't understand why sin bins aren't in Football fully anyway. If you drag someone down when they're on the break, it's regarded as a bad foul and is very cynical but seems a bit soft for a red card. Why shouldn't it be a 10 minute sin bin? It seems a better balance between a yellow and red. Other sports like rugby and Hockey have a sin bin system which are effective, and the refs are more respected also (though that is also due to other factors).

Ref's don't deserve the abuse they get, and the perceived  lack of quality officials in this country is a direct result of people being unwilling to go into refereeing or continue refereeing because of the abuse they'll receive when they start, along with other factors obviously. It just isn't worth the money you get paid to ref sometimes. Ensure that the sin bins are properly administered and they are adhered to by the player sin binned and you could see the benefits throughout the footballing pyramid. The stats behind the trial seem positive, let's hope the trend continues

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Don't like the idea but support anything to help with respect of refs.

Personally for kids football i would make it a red card offence if they argue with officials. Kids should be taught respect of their elders or those officiating.

It should never be ok for them to question or argue with the ref.

Also. Do something about parents that abuse refs too. 

The problem with just having red cards is there’s lots of paperwork when they give them (yes I know that shouldn’t matter) and also Managers score refs, below I think it’s 59 and you have to write a report. Managers don’t want to do that as they give up their free time as it is to coach.

There’s  also the issue of fines so giving reds out all the time will cost parents out of the game.

kids see primadonna premier league players arguing all the time which is where the issue lies. I can only see this as a good thing. 

however I will say that there are some really good refs and some really bad refs. A good ref doesn’t get abuse from the kids or parents but if you get a bad ref that isn’t protecting the kids then that’s where the issues will arise. 

The other point to note is not all grassroots games get an official referee allocated. So what happens when a certain ref sends little Jonny to the sin bin for 10 mins when his team are losing 1-0 in a cup match? Probably a punch up somewhere along the line.  

Hopefully it will have a positive impact and this next season will be interesting! 

6 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

In kids football it's the parents and coaches that abuse the refs. They need the sin bins.

Beat me to it, half the parents on the touchline need sinbinning.

Or being made to run the line and undergo the same torrent of abuse that they dish out.

Sadly it will be a disaster. Parents and coach will abuse and bully these 16 - 18 year olds ref and it will put them off for life. Zero tolerance is required from the sidelines of any abuse or bullying to ref but nobody can police it. My 7 year old played in a preseason friendly the other day and the 2 managers started arguing about the sin bin rule or lack of implementation. It’s under 8s football for pity sake ?

Archived