The Dutch effect

oldtimeram

30 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Most densely populated that isn't tiny then

Well, if you're going to be like that, it's the most densely populated that begins with an "N" as well. ?

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Vatican is the church's version of Skegness though.

The other 7 tax havens.

Still countries, though.

I'm in real danger here of coming across like I really care about this...?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm in real danger here of coming across like I really care about this...?

It would certainly be a weird hill to choose to die on. Especially as they have no hills

The Country is called The Netherlands, but is made up of the two largest states of North Holland and South Holland. And the language is called Dutch

No wonder they had to legalise cannabis

7 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I'd spend the whole holiday tripping over.

Ha, Ha.  Fair point.  That was in "storm mode", the morning after the night of 85kph winds (I put kph, as we were in The Vendee at the time, LOL!).

Not so many guys in "normal" conditions!  :-)

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Pub quiz - how do you get from the Republic Of France to the Kingdom of The Netherlands by land, whilst only crossing a single border?

Go from Saint-Martin to Sint Maarten

Alternatively, get France to annex Belgium

I worked for a year at a hotel on the Isles of Scilly in 2001ish - which was basically the aftermath of the huge war between The Netherlands and Scilly. Although peace had been 'officially' declared, let's just say that any Dutch tourists staying at the hotel didn't get quite as thorough room cleaning service as other nationalities. I mean I still did a good job, but no swan shaped towels for the Dutch. Or at least not as perfect swans for the Dutch.

I'm not a guerrilla. 

8 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I worked for a year at a hotel on the Isles of Scilly in 2001ish - which was basically the aftermath of the huge war between The Netherlands and Scilly. Although peace had been 'officially' declared, let's just say that any Dutch tourists staying at the hotel didn't get quite as thorough room cleaning service as other nationalities. I mean I still did a good job, but no swan shaped towels for the Dutch. Or at least not as perfect swans for the Dutch.

I'm not a guerrilla. 

Can you elaborate on the armed struggle for the Scilly Isles? Any tales of blood on the slipway or the St Agnes resistance?

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Can you elaborate on the armed struggle for the Scilly Isles? Any tales of blood on the slipway or the St Agnes resistance?

By grace of God I missed most of the bloodshed. But hate for the Dutch is instilled in me.

7 hours ago, JfR said:

Go from Saint-Martin to Sint Maarten

Alternatively, get France to annex Belgium

We were supposed to cruise to Saint Martin. Hurricane stopped us. Tenerife instead. Still got to Barbados though. Cocu nuts ten a penny out there 

Archived