Do players transfer fees effect opinions?

northantsram

So examples in the current squad,

Tom Lawrence - paid 5ish million.

Do you think if he was a free transfer he would get the same amount of stick?

George Evans - paid 400k ish

Has a much lower level of expection and will get away with more.

A player cannot effect a transfer fee and as fans they dont really make a difference to us but we do seem to be obsessed with how much a player is brought and sold for.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have to consider it in two perspectives - that of the fan / media and that of the manager.

WRT the first - the fan - the answer is of course, at all levels. Look at Pogba and Bale as two examples, neither would be getting quite as much stick as they have if they hadn't been marquee signings.

But from the case of the manager it should have no bearing what so ever, in the same way that age shouldn't either. You play your best XI for that game - irrespective of whether they are your record signing or in on a free.

Oh, and it's affect not effect - sorry but my inner grammar pedant is screaming at me to tell you this. He's an arse, I can't stand him, but if I don't obey he will make my day a horror.

Especially when these days the salary over the duration of the contract often far outweighs the actual fee paid, which in itself is often not officially disclosed.  So much of the speculation is guessing in the dark.

I think players themselves can feel this; I love the way Waghorn has made his supposed fee into a positive with his 'snip' joke.

Some of us maybe need to lighten up about these things as well. The effect of some of our perceptions on the way we treat players (see what I did there @BaaLocks?) is palpable, in my opinion. 

It does in a way as I expect more from players transferred on big price tags - I always liked Johnson's attitude and effort but a lack of quality in certain areas frustrates and Butterfield had a hefty price tag based on a decent but occasional long shot but he lacked so much that you would expect and I suppose that’s the difference because with a big transfer fee we expect quality whereas a low transfer fee usually means we hope for quality 

Think players certainly are judged based on their price tag, somewhat fairly, somewhat not. Really it shouldn’t matter what they’ve been bought for or what they’re being paid, not to us anyway. It should only matter whether they’re doing a good enough job for the job we brought them in to do- which often is a more important job for more expensive players naturally, hence why the judgement based on price tag is understandable, if not entirely fair. 

For example, Lawrence was brought in to be our new goal scoring winger replacement for Ince, hes shown potential but not really fulfilled that role that well so far, hence the criticism. Evans on the other hand was purely bought as cover which he’s done ok at so far, so is viewed more leniently.

So judgement on price tag isn’t fair, judgement on success in their role is how players should be assessed. But often one goes with the other, hence why it is somewhat justifiable.

I think judgement relative to price tag is completely fair. I'm yet to see a player turn down a transfer on the grounds that he thinks he's been overvalued and wouldn't want to leave his new employers out of pocket.

Sith Happens

Yes it does.

I think a good example is connor sammon, at over a million a lot was expected,  but Theo Robinson was a few quid, but thought fondly of.

15 hours ago, northantsram said:

So examples in the current squad,

Tom Lawrence - paid 5ish million.

Do you think if he was a free transfer he would get the same amount of stick?

George Evans - paid 400k ish

Has a much lower level of expection and will get away with more.

A player cannot effect a transfer fee and as fans they dont really make a difference to us but we do seem to be obsessed with how much a player is brought and sold for.

yep it completely makes a difference, why wouldn't you expect more from someone that cost 5 million than someone that cost 500k...

if you bought a 50k car would you expect the same performance as if you bought a 5k car..?

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, cannable said:

Theo was better though, to be fair…

He wasn't though,  but a bargain so better thought of

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Imagine if we paid a fee to sign Efe Ambrose. 

I know,  i'd also be mortified if we paid anymore than 250k for Scott Malone.?

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

yep it completely makes a difference, why wouldn't you expect more from someone that cost 5 million than someone that cost 500k...

if you bought a 50k car would you expect the same performance as if you bought a 5k car..?

Jacob Butterfield 4 million,  craig bryson 400k

Not that many years apart. 

Archived