The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You think Russians backing Tories is fake news! 

One good thing about our political system is that parties have to be open and transparent about their donations and funding

So it's actually in the public domain that the Tories are receiving large amounts of money from Russian donors

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-russian-donors-have-stepped-tory-funding/

It's not fake news. Ask yourself if you can think of any reasons as to why Russians might be so keen to throw money at a British political party?

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

One good thing about our political system is that parties have to be open and transparent about their donations and funding

So it's actually in the public domain that the Tories are receiving large amounts of money from Russian donors

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-russian-donors-have-stepped-tory-funding/

It's not fake news. Ask yourself if you can think of any reasons as to why Russians might be so keen to throw money at a British political party?

Russian donors or Russia .

There is a difference 

45 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I've never understood the attitude of "That'll never work so we shouldn't even try - we should stick with what we have now, even though I know what we have now is rubbish"

This made me chuckle but going back to Brexit isn't this the attitude of some remainers!

6 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

This made me chuckle but going back to Brexit isn't this the attitude of some remainers!

Some of them yes. For me I'd be more than happy to Brexit but it needs so much investment in being self sufficient before we pull back, it's suicide to go forward without preparing first.

Action without a plan is just wishful thinking. That's about the only positive message in Brexit I can find - it might all be great, we'll never know until we try.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Good as there is a distinction.

Labour is backed by Trade Union donations a small donations from others. 

https://labour.org.uk/press/labours-people-powered-campaign-hits-1-million-in-small-donations-in-10-days/

https://labour.org.uk/people/unions/

Yes, trade unions that are supported by members, working people who pay union subscriptions. 

Where there are issues with trade unions, I have no issue with them funding a political party that supports their members. I'd fully support increasing the transparency within unions and making them more accountable to the membership for one example.

They are precisely the reason why they get my vote. 

Now ask yourself who funds the Tories and why.

14 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes, trade unions that are supported by members, working people who pay union subscriptions. 

Where there are issues with trade unions, I have no issue with them funding a political party that supports their members. I'd fully support increasing the transparency within unions and making them more accountable to the membership for one example.

They are precisely the reason why they get my vote. 

Now ask yourself who funds the Tories and why.

End of the day mate the Election results will be enacted upon and the party with most number of seats voted on by the British people in a first past the post system will form the Government or in a hung parliament will be formed by a coalition if one can be formed. 

Everybody has a choice as they did in the BREXIT vote .

If Labour or Liberals get in I don’t see Brexit happening 

The choice is for the British people 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

So we shouldn't even try?

I don't understand this lack of ambition

I know that a lot of Labour policies are idealistic and unrealistic - but they are aspirationally sound. So what's the problem with trying to implement 100% and only achieving 50% of it. You've still achieved 50% more than you would have if you had just not bothered even trying

What bad stuff happened in people's childhoods to leave them with such cynicism?

I've never understood the attitude of "That'll never work so we shouldn't even try - we should stick with what we have now, even though I know what we have now is rubbish"

Same with Brexit? 

It's the impact of implementing that 50% though. 4 day weeks, massive overspends? That 50% could set us back 20 years. Aspirational is okay but you gotta pay for it. Well someone does, probably not you.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

End of the day mate the Election results will be enacted upon and the party with most number of seats voted on by the British people in a first past the post system will form the Government or in a hung parliament will be formed by a coalition if one can be formed. 

Thanks for clarifying how elections work.

Did anyone see that bloke make a tit of himself on QT last night saying he wasn't in the top 5% or even 50% of earners, since he earned £80k?.

I take it he's not paid £80k to anything that requires intellect. Has he ever thought of becoming an MP?

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

So we shouldn't even try?

I don't understand this lack of ambition

I know that a lot of Labour policies are idealistic and unrealistic - but they are aspirationally sound. So what's the problem with trying to implement 100% and only achieving 50% of it. You've still achieved 50% more than you would have if you had just not bothered even trying

What bad stuff happened in people's childhoods to leave them with such cynicism?

Because their policies that I dont agree with or I don't think are financially deliverable could have negative consequences for me and the rest of the country.

3 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Anyway this election is irrelevant because if I don't get the result I want I will moan and groan about for 3 years and try to overturn the result. 

It wasn't clear what we were voting for! Only once the winning party has attempted to implement their policies for 3 years will we truly understand what the vote represents.

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Anyway this election is irrelevant because if I don't get the result I want I will moan and groan about for 3 years and try to overturn the result. 

I know you're taking the pee, but that's pretty much how politics works. You get in a government and the opposition spend their time highlighting the government's incompetence and saying they need to step down. Occasionally (very rarely) it works, the mistakes of the current government prove to be too much for them to continue and the government is pushed into calling for a new election.

Exactly what's happening with the Brexit vote. We voted leave, the people in charge are proving incompetent at delivering it, and there's a big call from the opponents to rerun the vote. Nothing different.

Archived