The Politics Thread 2019

Day

16 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Ok cool. Thatcher was many things but no illegal wars. Cheers

No I don't think it was at the time. Because Argentina invaded I think we got a un resolution to boot them out.

Of course, because Argentina believes the islands are their sovereign territory,  they don't consider themselves to have been invading.

Oh well.....there was a big stink about an aircraft carrier being sunk when it was outside of the declared "exclusion zone" as well....

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No I don't think it was at the time. Because Argentina invaded I think we got a un resolution to boot them out.

Of course, because Argentina believes the islands are their sovereign territory,  they don't consider themselves to have been invading.

Oh well.....there was a big stink about an aircraft carrier being sunk when it was outside of the declared "exclusion zone" as well....

That's right. Not an illegal war

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The poster stated that Thatcher was behind an illegal war, and was then asked which war it was? 

Or is this just another instance of where statements are made but dont have to be backed up?

The Falklands, shoot to kill on foreign soil (Gibraltar and Ireland), Equatorial Guinea, there's more if you like but since you've asked, perhaps you could explain how any of these were 'legal' as a starting point. Actually, can you cite a single instance of warfare she conducted that was legal? 

13 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Didnt we have this discussion a while ago? You were clearly being disrespectful and should have given her money instead. Or at least I think that was the concensious? 

Without being contentious, how is giving someone sleeping rough disrespectful? And what consensus (I assume that's what you meant) was arrived at? Are we saying that the homeless feel demeaned by those offering them something to eat and if so, is there anything you can cite to support this assertion?

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Without being contentious, how is giving someone sleeping rough disrespectful? And what consensus (I assume that's what you meant) was arrived at? Are we saying that the homeless feel demeaned by those offering them something to eat and if so, is there anything you can cite to support this assertion?

Was not my opinion. Just pointing out that there was an earlier thread on this very subject earlier in the year and people were arguing about giving food or money and which respected the homeless person. 
Might be wrong but I am sure it was agreed it was giving money that respected the homeless person. 
My post was tongue in cheek to the poster who did remember and get my point. 
Hole that explains it? 

21 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Was not my opinion. Just pointing out that there was an earlier thread on this very subject earlier in the year and people were arguing about giving food or money and which respected the homeless person. 
Might be wrong but I am sure it was agreed it was giving money that respected the homeless person. 
Hole that explains it? 

@86 Schmokes & a Pancake Just to add, personally and having spoken to a lot of homeless people, they are grateful for anything really.. Addiction and homelessness do go hand in hand in some cases and money an become an enabler to keep in that spiral. From what I have seen, there is no general right or wrong, it’s all about the individual and their circumstances.. 

14 hours ago, Curtains said:

Who’s going to address the bricks and timber shortage to build 100 k homes a year and whose going to train the builders. 

Another policy not thought through by Corbyn 

Are you really having a dig at a policy that will potentially give UK industry a major boost? 

Do we have a shortage of materials? Not to my knowlage, and Im in the industry. We've had to close factories due to lack of demand. 

The construction industry will be more than happy to meet the challange of increased demand. Increased demand will attract people back into the market. Its happening all the time. Its pretty easy to start up a new brick / block works. 

Try looking at policies objectively without making your mind up depending on which party is promoting them. 

43 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Hole that explains it? 

No i remember it well. Someone posted they had bought a drink or meal for someone and they were criticised by one of our old posters who was quite outspoken.

A few backed her but most sided with the person who gave food / drink. 

Of course there were articles posted plucked from obscure sources as was usual.

The concensus was it should be ok whatever you choose to give and that if you start dictating then people will be put off giving.

8 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Try looking at policies objectively without making your mind up depending on which party is promoting them. 

Not on his own,  almost every poster here seems to do that 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

No i remember it well. Someone posted they had bought a drink or meal for someone and they were criticised by one of our old posters who was quite outspoken.

A few backed her but most sided with the person who gave food / drink. 

Of course there were articles posted plucked from obscure sources as was usual.

The concensus was it should be ok whatever you choose to give and that if you start dictating then people will be put off giving.

Ah okay. Thanks for looking. Was a tongue in cheek post anyway. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Are you really having a dig at a policy that will potentially give UK industry a major boost? 

Do we have a shortage of materials? Not to my knowlage, and Im in the industry. We've had to close factories due to lack of demand. 

The construction industry will be more than happy to meet the challange of increased demand. Increased demand will attract people back into the market. Its happening all the time. Its pretty easy to start up a new brick / block works. 

How many rain forests are you going to chop down to erect your joists .

PS There is a shortage of bricks. 

https://www.pbctoday.co.uk/news/plant-equipment-supplies-news/brick-shortage/44306/

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Not on his own,  almost every poster here seems to do that 

Believe it or not, there are plenty of Labour policies that I could buy into if I thought they were deliverable.

However, there are also plenty that I am completely opposed to hence why I'm never really tempted to vote for them.

A lot of Labout policies are for an ideal world but unfortunately we dont, and never will, live in that place.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Funny how so many people jumped at the chance to buy their Council Houses in Littleover etc. 

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

?️?️

Do we want i something for nothing society.

Great in theory. 

Something For Nothing

Song by Rush

Lyrics

Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days 

Waiting for someone to call
And turn your world around
Looking for an answer to
The questions you have found
Looking for
An open door 

Oh you don't get something for nothing
You don't get freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be 

No you don't get something for nothing
You dcan't have freedom for free
You won't get wise
With the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dream might be 

What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story

In your head is the answer
Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor
And the beat of your song

Oh you don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free, no

Whoa you don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Do we want i something for nothing society.

Great in theory. 

Something For Nothing

Song by Rush

Lyrics

Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days 

God Bless you @Curtains, you have song in your heart.

Archived