Attending Football Abroad

Srg

On 17/08/2019 at 18:38, CWC1983 said:

Something different, try Groningen when one of the big clubs visit. Ajax or Feyenoord preferably. 

Small intimidating stadium, local lunatics, good beer, nice small city centre, couple of squares surrounded by pubs. Its also a student town. 90 mins from Amsterdam

Whats not to like? 

Not sure how easy tickets would be to get though. 

I have tried on a numerous times to get tickets from that club, but I don’t think they ever get to general sale. On each each occasion the ticket office operator was quite blunt saying Groningen. Rude. I just put the phone down.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/08/2019 at 14:32, PrivateDerby said:

Where would you recommend for a first European match? Four lads, cheap weekend, watch the chaos and come home... can you get tickets on the gate at most grounds? 

Thanks.

Mainz in Germany is good,no problem getting tickets and plenty of bars and a fan park at the ground. We watched them play Dortmund and it wasn’t quite a sell out. Frankfurt and Cologne are also good,my mate gets the tickets online direct from the clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:39, Srg said:

Last year or so, I have caught a bug of attending European football matches whilst on weekends away (mainly Stags) and it's really got me thinking of other great grounds to visit and games to see, and wondered if anyone had any stories of places they've been, how easy it was and what sort of prices they paid to do it?

If anyone is interested, I have been to the Olympic Stadium in Berlin to watch Hertha Berlin vs. SC Freiburg, Stadion An der Alten Försterei in Berlin to watch Union Berlin vs. Erzgebirge Aue, the National Football Stadium in Bratislava to watch Slovan Bratislava vs. FK Senica, the Allianz Stadion in Vienna to watch Rapid Wien vs. Mattersburg, Borussia-Park in Monchengladbach to watch Borussia Monchengladbach vs. Hertha Berlin and to the Merkur Spiel-Arena in Dusseldorf to see Fortuna Dusseldorf vs. Stuttgart - with the latter two this past weekend. I have plenty of pictures/stories/info if anyone is interested in attending these.

I went to the Olympic Stadium to watch Hertha Berlin 3-3 Hoffenheim in November last year, bargain for 21 Euros... Joelinton & Reiss Nelson lined up for Hoffenheim, 3 goals in the first 15minutes.

hell of an atmosphere from the Ostkurve based below us too, made a hell of a racket! 55,000 there that day? having a vendor guy walking up and down the stands filling up peoples disposable beers cups for 3 euros, ideal!

the Bundesliga just do it right.

AC Milan 1 Juve 0 in 2017. Took the lad. We were behind the Ultras. The home (non Ultra) sections had about 20% Juve fans in. Bigger noise for Juve getting a goal disallowed than when Milan scored.

St Johann in the Tyrol 5 Zell am See 3. in 2003.  Had just done a 15 mile walk over the Kitbuhlerhorn and it was still 75f at night. Drank 5 pints in the first half whilst receiving odd looks. 

Forfar 2 Arbroath 4 in 2007. Great cup game with funny fans and great Bridies at ht. 

Hoping to pick up a Polish game next year. 

Went with my wife to the FCBasel v FC Zurich game in probably 2010. We were amazed at the fact that It was a local Derby and there was no one in the beer line...before the game we had a couple, went into the concourse and grabbed a couple more during the first half and a couple at half time, still no one buying beer..must be the Swiss way i thought... spent all of the second half going back and forward to the toilet peeing like a race horse....found out the next day at work that all the beer they sell at the Zurich game is always non alcoholic to atop any trouble....

• 1 month later...
On 03/11/2019 at 19:18, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I'd love to go there and wish that there were more clubs like Union Berlin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50267677

Was going to post on this re the bbc focus programme. We've done numerous european grounds hubby's favourite is still St Pauli, but for me, Union (onion) Berlin is the greatest, the walk through the forest in winter, mulled wine, christmas carols and that bloody chant that they sing for most of the match that gives you earworm for days. Cannot be beaten in my mind, fab club and fans, if you haven't watched the bbc link, do, it makes you think about our sterile, poo atmospheres

• 2 months later...

Just bought some tickets for FC Luzern vs. Servette for March. Looking forward to it, the city and stadium look stunning. Will be going to Basel vs. Sion on the same weekend but they haven't put there's available for sale yet.

image.thumb.png.f0a2bdccb6a023ed8fdc9fb6609c014e.png

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Just bought some tickets for FC Luzern vs. Servette for March. Looking forward to it, the city and stadium look stunning. Will be going to Basel vs. Sion on the same weekend but they haven't put there's available for sale yet.

image.thumb.png.f0a2bdccb6a023ed8fdc9fb6609c014e.png

Are you going to St Jakob for the Basel game? if you need any tips let me know. it is a great city, place to watch footy.

38 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Are you going to St Jakob for the Basel game? if you need any tips let me know. it is a great city, place to watch footy.

Yes we are. Any tips would be greatly received. We’ve sorted accommodation but any tips for nightlife or anything must see, where’s best to drink and not cost an arm and leg...?

4 hours ago, Srg said:

Yes we are. Any tips would be greatly received. We’ve sorted accommodation but any tips for nightlife or anything must see, where’s best to drink and not cost an arm and leg...?

Firstly....put the thought about “It not costing an arm and a leg” out of your mind...it’s going to...wherever you go. (It’s not that bad actually, but It will be a lot more than a pint in a weatherspoons) 
I will send you a message. 

• 1 month later...

Just seen Swiss football been suspended until 15th March because of some silly common cold going around the place.

They have plans to review next week, but this potentially royally ducks me over when the games I'm attending are on the 14th and 15th March. Waiting for all flights to be cancelled now.

Phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Just seen Swiss football been suspended until 15th March because of some silly common cold going around the place.

They have plans to review next week, but this potentially royally ducks me over when the games I'm attending are on the 14th and 15th March. Waiting for all flights to be cancelled now.

Phenomenal.

Shame about the game but if you are going to catch a cold there are worse places to be than Switzerland. Used to go there lots of time and as i used to tell my Swiss friends, for you the third world starts at the border!

Archived