Attending Football Abroad

Srg

Only been to one game abroad and that was Barcelona v AC Milan, about 13 years ago, it was a friendly, great occasion, with 93000 in attendance, Barcelona won 2-1, kicked off at  about 10 pm, after fireworks, bought my ticket from the bank and sat way up, but still a great view, saw some great players that night like Eto, Ronaldinho, Nesta and Mancini, but after the game there was no taxis, took me hours to get back to the hotel, but a night I will never forget, and yes I wore my Rams top.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Bohemians v Helsingborg a few years ago - there were probably 500 Celtic fans at the game because Henrik Larsen was playing for Helsingborg. A few beers were drunk that night in very good company.

Went to see Ajax smash a 5-0 home win with El Hamdoui, eriksen, vertongen, alderweireld, and few others playing.

impressed that fans can watch the game with a pint inside the stadium.

The train to the Amsterdam arena went through some very rough looking housing areas and the ultras looked like major trouble waiting to happen. 

Made PP look a bit tame. 

Went on holiday to Mallorca with my dad in 2006. Turned out Mallarco had a preseason friendly arranged with Inter, so we opted to go along. 

Saw a star filled Inter side featuring: Julio Cesar, Toldo, Cordoba, Materazzi, Andreolli, Samuel, Figo, J. Zanetti, Recoba, Vieira, Maicon, Dacourt, Maxwell, Cambiasso, Solari, Grosso, Cesar, Adriano, Crespo, Ibrahimovic, Cruz

A few of you may be aware of the ‘paper aeroplane competition’ they have, where they try to be the first to get one on the pitch - well, my brother won that ? (it’s harder than it sounds)

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Just started thinking about this seasons trip. Not really sure where to head. Thinking March time. 

Fort William, just won their first game in 73 games, guaranteed goals and right near Ben Nevis if you fancy a walk

I went to see Romanian League last weekend. Most likely both teams will find themselves at the bottom of the table as the season gets older... Still, level of the game was very positive surprise and ticket price even more so with 2 euros. 

Unfortunately, no crowd (maybe 500?) so no atmosphere nor beer available. Overall, positive experience.

7 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I went to see Romanian League last weekend. Most likely both teams will find themselves at the bottom of the table as the season gets older... Still, level of the game was very positive surprise and ticket price even more so with 2 euros. 

Unfortunately, no crowd (maybe 500?) so no atmosphere nor beer available. Overall, positive experience.

actually looked at Steau Bucharest as a possibility this year. 

Have been to a couple...

Roma vs Parma - great atmosphere, really enjoyed it. Even saw an old Italian man shout “Mamma Mia” when Totti dragged a shot wide.

St Pauli vs FC Freiburg - this is a ground I’d advise anyone to visit.  Fantastic atmosphere, more akin to a rock concert than a football match.

Ajax vs Heracles - nice ground. That’s about it. Was expensive and the atmosphere felt like everyone was bored. I have never seen a more boring game in fairness. Heracles offered absolutely nothing - felt more like a pre season kick about.

FC Copenhagen vs Spurs - just happened to be in Gothenburg, Sweden with my mate when we went down to the Ullevi Stadium and it transpired their was a friendly happening. Some Swedish bloke saw us trying to find where to get tickets and came over an gave us a couple.  Good stadium!

49 minutes ago, Srg said:

actually looked at Steau Bucharest as a possibility this year. 

Been there as well. Can't say they lack atmosphere in games.... but beware of racism, that's a huge issue with their ultras..

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Out of those two, I'd go with St Pauli. 

In Germany other strongly recommended would be Union Berlin. 

Union was incredible when I went there, even if it was a 0-0. I'd love to get to see them play Hertha Berlin now they've gone up.

On 14/02/2019 at 13:32, Mostyn6 said:

usually go to games in Prague when we are there... am usually drunk

I used to live in Sparta district for a while.

At the time it cost 4 euros to get to the Champions League games, league games were much cheaper.... They had great team back then, especially Rosicky.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Union was incredible when I went there, even if it was a 0-0. I'd love to get to see them play Hertha Berlin now they've gone up.

I'm living in Berlin right now, so that's one I'll definitely go. 

Archived