Out of the door - Predictions

i-Ram

10 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

And i hope at the end of their contracts no other club touches them and they never EARN another penny out of football 

What utter, utter drivel.

Is it their fault that they are being paid over inflated salaries? We offered them the money because, at the time, it was what they were worth to us. I would seriously question anybody who tells me that they would attempt to negotiate a lower salary for themselves than what is being offered. Would you, if being offered £70K a year, say 'no, actually, I'll do it for £20K'. Didn't think so.

Butterfield and Johnson are both under contract and we have a legal duty to honour those contracts if required. I think that it is perfectly justifiable not to want to leave to take a significant pay cut because, clearly, nobody else is going to offer them the same money elsewhere.

We seem to have this perverse sense of reality when we discuss football that doesn't exist in any other walk of life. We seem to think that, because it's a football club there is a divine right for it to be treated with grater reverence than any other business or institution and that is just fanciful. It's one of the things that most wound me up about the Sunderland Til' I Die documentary on Netflix when they discussed Jack Rodwell.

Let us just put this into context. I have a great passion for what I do for work, and I'm fortunate for that. And I'm also fortunate to be well paid for it. But, the long and sort of it is that I go to work because I get paid. If they stopped paying me, I wouldn't turn up just because I believe in the cause. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would suggest that most people are the same. We don't hold our own employers with the reverence we expect football clubs to be held in. So why are we being so hypocritical. As much as it may hurt to hear this, Derby County is, to all intents and purposes, an employer. Nothing more, nothing less to those players. The players are there to earn a wage. The amounts of money are irrelevant, footballers are employees and we should judge them as such.

It is not the fault of the players that Derby County (insert the name of any other club here) has offered them a large salary and a long contract. It is not the fault of the players that Derby County are paying them more than a competitor.

Ask yourself this: If you were sitting pretty at work on £70K a year, and your boss effectively said to you: 'Look, your role is kind of redundant but we can't afford to get rid of you so you're going to either have to leave of your own accord, or sit here, take home your money and do nothing.' what, in all honesty, would you do?

Would you a) say 'yeah, no worries - I'll leave now because I owe the company something so I'll walk away and take a job on £20K a year, that's cool' or;

b) sit and take the money for doing nothing?

I know what I would do and I would question the honesty of anyone who disagrees.

Footballers are human beings and, just like the rest of us, are mercenaries. They, too, have families, lives and futures to think of. Why do we expect them to be angellic and take a significantly lower salary in another job just because 'we're Derby County' and they should 'respect that'? We are judging footballers by different standards to those that we judge ourselves.

Ultimately, Jacob Butterfield, Bradley Johnson and ANOther owe Derby County ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They are employees of the club. We are expecting them to correct the fact that WE paid them more than we perhaps should have done. But in this instance, I don't hold the club accountable - we paid what they were worth to us at the time. But now, we are suggesting that those players should walk away, take a huge pay cut and move to a lesser club - for what reason? For no reason whatsoever. It is something that nobody on here would do voluntarily and it is about time we cut this nonsensical attitude that exists towards footballers, start living in the real world and judge players & the club just the same as any employee & employer.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, KentRam said:

What utter, utter drivel.

Is it their fault that they are being paid over inflated salaries? We offered them the money because, at the time, it was what they were worth to us. I would seriously question anybody who tells me that they would attempt to negotiate a lower salary for themselves than what is being offered. Would you, if being offered £70K a year, say 'no, actually, I'll do it for £20K'. Didn't think so.

Butterfield and Johnson are both under contract and we have a legal duty to honour those contracts if required. I think that it is perfectly justifiable not to want to leave to take a significant pay cut because, clearly, nobody else is going to offer them the same money elsewhere.

We seem to have this perverse sense of reality when we discuss football that doesn't exist in any other walk of life. We seem to think that, because it's a football club there is a divine right for it to be treated with grater reverence than any other business or institution and that is just fanciful. It's one of the things that most wound me up about the Sunderland Til' I Die documentary on Netflix when they discussed Jack Rodwell.

Let us just put this into context. I have a great passion for what I do for work, and I'm fortunate for that. And I'm also fortunate to be well paid for it. But, the long and sort of it is that I go to work because I get paid. If they stopped paying me, I wouldn't turn up just because I believe in the cause. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would suggest that most people are the same. We don't hold our own employers with the reverence we expect football clubs to be held in. So why are we being so hypocritical. As much as it may hurt to hear this, Derby County is, to all intents and purposes, an employer. Nothing more, nothing less to those players. The players are there to earn a wage. The amounts of money are irrelevant, footballers are employees and we should judge them as such.

It is not the fault of the players that Derby County (insert the name of any other club here) has offered them a large salary and a long contract. It is not the fault of the players that Derby County are paying them more than a competitor.

Ask yourself this: If you were sitting pretty at work on £70K a year, and your boss effectively said to you: 'Look, your role is kind of redundant but we can't afford to get rid of you so you're going to either have to leave of your own accord, or sit here, take home your money and do nothing.' what, in all honesty, would you do?

Would you a) say 'yeah, no worries - I'll leave now because I owe the company something so I'll walk away and take a job on £20K a year, that's cool' or;

b) sit and take the money for doing nothing?

I know what I would do and I would question the honesty of anyone who disagrees.

Footballers are human beings and, just like the rest of us, are mercenaries. They, too, have families, lives and futures to think of. Why do we expect them to be angellic and take a significantly lower salary in another job just because 'we're Derby County' and they should 'respect that'? We are judging footballers by different standards to those that we judge ourselves.

Ultimately, Jacob Butterfield, Bradley Johnson and ANOther owe Derby County ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They are employees of the club. We are expecting them to correct the fact that WE paid them more than we perhaps should have done. But in this instance, I don't hold the club accountable - we paid what they were worth to us at the time. But now, we are suggesting that those players should walk away, take a huge pay cut and move to a lesser club - for what reason? For no reason whatsoever. It is something that nobody on here would do voluntarily and it is about time we cut this nonsensical attitude that exists towards footballers, start living in the real world and judge players & the club just the same as any employee & employer.

You nailed that one KentRam. Couldn't agree more. Well said?

That's a really long post, and I'm lazy, but as it started by calling someone else's statement drivel I'm going to go out on a limb and say I agree with it fully.

On 27/01/2019 at 08:46, i-Ram said:

Let’s have your predictions today (Sunday) what might happen in the coming week on players leaving before the January window closes (loans or sales).

Anya, Butterfield, Johnson and Ledley, got to be favourites haven’t they?

Bryson and Nugent possibly?

A couple of young players on loan perhaps for experience?

Marriott, Lawrence or Bogle sold to manage the books, or to allow Frank to deal?

Let’s not speculate on this thread who might come in instead.  Let’s not speculate that there is a prize on offer either for the poster who gets the most correct.

FWIW I go with Butterfield, Johnson and Nugent. What do you guys think?

The only player leaving will be ones we get fees for, if Lampard wants to get players in. Looks like we were trying to move Lawrence on to Huddersfield for this reason?

1 minute ago, WystonRam said:

The only player leaving will be ones we get fees for, if Lampard wants to get players in. Looks like we were trying to move Lawrence on to Huddersfield for this reason?

How does it look like that? Huddersfield enquired about TL and DCFC said no

2 hours ago, KentRam said:

Why do we expect them to be angellic and take a significantly lower salary in another job 

They've let the desire for money ruin their careers as footballers.

It's nothing to do with loyalty to Derby County, it's about having the self respect to make the best of yourself.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Seen that Forest have been linked with Kevin McDonald from Fulham and he wasn't in the Fulham squad last night.

Would take him here every day of the week.

No thanks - slightly more mobile Huddlestone but not as good a passer.

As many of Anya, Ledley, Butterfield, Bryson, Johnson & Nugent as we possibly can. All out of contract in the summer except Anya, so get as much money as we can as well as their wages off the books.

Ideally with enough time to bring a couple in. 

I have often said that I hope players and management have more sense than to read the nonsense often spouted on here. I certainly hope that certain posters are not managers of staff, because their attitude stinks.

The way I see it is that that clubs pay the wages (not the taxpayer) and that everything they do earn is subject to tax. 

It's all relative anyway.... prices and therefore wages for players have been rising for decades as clubs have become richer. 

On a more relevant note, just read that Bogle and Lawrence are staying ?

59 minutes ago, McRainy said:

They've let the desire for money ruin their careers as footballers.

It's nothing to do with loyalty to Derby County, it's about having the self respect to make the best of yourself.

Spot on, no pride or self respect, tell the grandchildren not who you played for or what you achieved but how much money you have !! 

It's the players decision. Unless the club cancels their contracts (at a huge cost) then I don't see any of the big earners leaving. Anya and Butterfield are fairly average Championship players on massive contracts. They're not silly, where else can they go earning the salary given to them by Derby County? They might as well run the contracts down, earn as much money as they can, then pack their bags and find another club. Unless they're desperate to play football, the "bomb squad" will be quite happy to stay and train here.

And I reckon most people would do the same.

6 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Spot on, no pride or self respect, tell the grandchildren not who you played for or what you achieved but how much money you have !! 

I agree with you.

I think it's a sign of how twisted the general perspective has become that any suggestion that financial gain isn't the be all and end all is met with outrage. 

Just now, McRainy said:

I agree with you.

I think it's a sign of how twisted the general perspective has become that any suggestion that financial gain isn't the be all and end all is met with outrage. 

And schoolboy calls of Pathetic or Drivel ! 

They dont pop your building society book in your coffin as they screw the lid down you know !!? 

Archived