Watchable telly

dog

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

It takes a little while to heat up, but in that regard it kinda follows the same trajectory as S01, so my initial lack of patience was a bit silly. There's a lot going on and IMO, the way from midway it builds and builds and draws all the threads together was exactly what was needed. I am a sucker for Japanese culture though, but that said, as you enjoyed S01, I'd be confident you'll love season 2.

Yeah, I'm fascinated by Japanese culture. It's one of those places in the world where it feels really alien, but not in a threatening way these days.

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yeah, I'm fascinated by Japanese culture. It's one of those places in the world where it feels really alien, but not in a threatening way these days.

Never been but it's definitely on the list. From the madness of Tokyo to the beauty of Kyoto. As you point out, no pesky Ronin running amok these days either.

41 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Never been but it's definitely on the list. From the madness of Tokyo to the beauty of Kyoto. As you point out, no pesky Ronin running amok these days either.

Highly recommended and with the Shinkansen trains, it's easy to do quite long distances as a day trip from a base like Kyoto or Ozaka.

Sexy Beast - wasn't aware if it was connected to the film but watched episode 1 and really rated it. Seems to be a prequel and the two leads are smashing it out if the park so far.

Finished The Gentlemen,  perked up again at the end. I'm saying 6 or 7 out of 10 and I'd watched another series but could live without it.

16 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Can't remember who prompted me onto The Jinx series 2, but thanks. 

Felt it was a bit slower, repetitive... but still a good watch and highlighted some absolutely appalling people! Still much prefer Making a Murderer though.

Probably me, i watched parts 1 and 2 straight through, yes it could have been done quicker but i found it quite fascinating and horrific how some people evade justice for so long.

Making a Murderer was the first series i really watched on Netflix and have been watching true crime stuff ever since.  Did you watch Convicting a Murderer too.  An eye opener as to how a film company can affect our judgement by what they include and what they miss out of a program.

11 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

Probably me, i watched parts 1 and 2 straight through, yes it could have been done quicker but i found it quite fascinating and horrific how some people evade justice for so long.

Making a Murderer was the first series i really watched on Netflix and have been watching true crime stuff ever since.  Did you watch Convicting a Murderer too.  An eye opener as to how a film company can affect our judgement by what they include and what they miss out of a program.

I did mate yes, was fascinating how being a 'storyteller' and a documentary maker are very diverse!

I need help here. Can anybody explain to me what happened with Board Empire between seasons one and two?

At the end of season one, Margaret had left Nucky (and I mean vanished), and Jimmy had just found out his wife tried to elope with another woman and take their only child to France.

Oh, and Nucky had fired his brother. Eli, as Sherrif.

At the start of season two, Nucky is not only back with Margaret, but they have a child.

And Jimmy is living happily with his wife

Oh, and Eli is back as Sherrif.

None of these changes were explained.

Both myself and Mrs Badger were like wtf?

But we presumed it would all be resolved in flashbacks, but into episode 4 and nothing.

It's a good series, but it's not close to being as good as Peeky Blinders IMO. And that is the only thing I can compare it to.

The acting is brilliant, and the script is good, but I'm fed up with hearing crappy 1920s music. It's like being in a Nottingham Night Club.

Peaky did a brilliant job of incorporating a really eerie and evocative soundtrack without it ever sounding out of place.

I'm half expecting to hear Knees Up Mary Brown, at which point I will be compelled to scream Tommy, Tommy Docherty, and the mood will be lost.

The two Escobar's...Sky Documentaries, You think you know it all but we don't, How drug money and football culminated in the death of both of the Escobar's(not related) in Columbia...crazy 🤷‍♂️  

Edited by Ram-Alf

Eric

4 of 6 episodes in. It's very visually compelling somehow. Lots of programmes start and I'm trying not to mess on my phone and initially feel apathetic, not the case with this.

It has the feel of a (long, slow) film rather than a mini-series. The characters are stronger, more immediate... the narrative is more black and white. Somehow the plot doesn't seem totally ridiculous and I'm interested in what it's trying to say - there is a lot of societal commentary and it's done well enough for me to ignore its heavy-handed nature occasionally.

Verges on thinking its cleverer than it possibly is... and Benedict Cumberbatch is definitely marmite.

Not sure I'm 'enjoying' it. But it's definitely got my attention and is different from other series. 

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Eric

4 of 6 episodes in. It's very visually compelling somehow. Lots of programmes start and I'm trying not to mess on my phone and initially feel apathetic, not the case with this.

It has the feel of a (long, slow) film rather than a mini-series. The characters are stronger, more immediate... the narrative is more black and white. Somehow the plot doesn't seem totally ridiculous and I'm interested in what it's trying to say - there is a lot of societal commentary and it's done well enough for me to ignore its heavy-handed nature occasionally.

Verges on thinking its cleverer than it possibly is... and Benedict Cumberbatch is definitely marmite.

Not sure I'm 'enjoying' it. But it's definitely got my attention and is different from other series. 

Yes, I agree. It’s interesting because it’s so different. We should be rooting for the parents in a situation where they are bereft at the disappearance of their child but they are so difficult to like!

I’m intrigued to see how it plays out.

Quick heads up - if you have a Tesco Clubcard check the rewards section as they've just now released a code for Disney Plus membership for 3 months FoC.

I doubt there'll be that many codes issued, so might be worth grabbing. No idea whether there's anything decent on the channels offered though.