Brian Clough

Comrade 86

Came across this by pure chance. I'd not seen it before and while most others will have it might please a few who haven't.  A fresh-faced Cloughie, confident verging on feisty and bullish as he always was but looking so young and fresh at the same time. I suppose the ravages of the booze and stress were yet to come and he looks years younger than his skipper of that time. Have a peep if you've not seen it already. The interesting premise is that the first half is in the close season before the return to the old 1st division, the second during the season itself. Compare Cloughie's player assessments and predictions for the team's performance with what actually happened. Still a genius in my eyes and this vid only strengthens that view. He's asked at one point whether six months in the top division has aged him and sadly you can see the signs even such a short time after the first interview. He talks very honestly and openly about his health, his mindset and his chances of reaching retirement age. It's very poignant to say the least. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 86 points said:

Came across this by pure chance. I'd not seen it before and while most others will have it might please a few who haven't.  A fresh-faced Cloughie, confident verging on feisty and bullish as he always was but looking so young and fresh at the same time. I suppose the ravages of the booze and stress were yet to come and he looks years younger than his skipper of that time. Have a peep if you've not seen it already. The interesting premise is that the first half is in the close season before the return to the old 1st division, the second during the season itself. Compare Cloughie's player assessments and predictions for the team's performance with what actually happened. Still a genius in my eyes and this vid only strengthens that view. He's asked at one point whether six months in the top division has aged him and sadly you can see the signs even such a short time after the first interview. He talks very honestly and openly about his health, his mindset and his chances of reaching retirement age. It's very poignant to say the least. 

Smiled for the whole 20 minutes watching that (other than his glowing references to the dirties).

10 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Great interviews

love Brian

love the all blue kit 

As a mini-documentary I love it. I doff my cap to the filmmakers for their insight as clearly they foresaw something special occurring and they asked some quite probing questions without getting a rise out of Cloughie, indeed he seemed to welcome the chance to open up. Not many journos earned that kind of respect from Old Big 'Ed ? Perhaps I'm being silly but even if I were not a Derby fan, I genuinely think I'd still be in awe of the man, not forgetting Peter Taylor's role. Was it was easier in those days to take a club from 18th in the 2nd div to the heights he and Taylor achieved? I'm not qualified to comment really, but what they did remains in my somewhat biased view, nothing short of miraculous. Only Leicester under Ranieri comes close for me. As a side note...... Alan Hinton for £29 grand ? For perspective, a year later Martin Peters fetched £200K so even allowing for inflation (£222 mill for Neymar!!!) that's bonkers. 

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Smiled for the whole 20 minutes watching that (other than his glowing references to the dirties).

OK, so I'm glad it's not just me!  Thought I was getting all misty-eyed over nothing ? Seen loads of stuff from later in his career but in truth, a lot of it makes for quite uncomfortable viewing. This shows him as a young man, full of confidence with an acumen to back it up, a man relishing his work, not weighed down by it. This is how I want to remember him. EDIT - as for the Dirties references, there's a glint in his eye that shouts, 'yes, they're a top team but my lot can beat them'. 

23 minutes ago, curb said:

Excellent find, seen little snippets of it before but never in its entirety. Like the poster above I had a big grin the whole way through. 

Pure luck buddy - it got spat out in the list of you might likes on YouTube. Glad you enjoyed it anyway ? 

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

As a mini-documentary I love it. I doff my cap to the filmmakers for their insight as clearly they foresaw something special occurring and they asked some quite probing questions without getting a rise out of Cloughie, indeed he seemed to welcome the chance to open up. Not many journos earned that kind of respect from Old Big 'Ed ? Perhaps I'm being silly but even if I were not a Derby fan, I genuinely think I'd still be in awe of the man, not forgetting Peter Taylor's role. Was it was easier in those days to take a club from 18th in the 2nd div to the heights he and Taylor achieved? I'm not qualified to comment really, but what they did remains in my somewhat biased view, nothing short of miraculous. Only Leicester under Ranieri comes close for me. As a side note...... Alan Hinton for £29 grand ? For perspective, a year later Martin Peters fetched £200K so even allowing for inflation (£222 mill for Neymar!!!) that's bonkers. 

Love everything about it but especially the construction of the Ley Stand in the background and the workers casually wandering across the sight of the cameras. What a sense of something building at the Club captured on film...a priceless piece of social and football history and BC sounding like a man of 50 but looking like a 25 year old..

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Love everything about it but especially the construction of the Ley Stand in the background and the workers casually wandering across the sight of the cameras. What a sense of something building at the Club captured on film...a priceless piece of social and football history and BC sounding like a man of 50 but looking like a 25 year old..

Looks like he started the season as a 25 year old and finished it as a 50 year old!

11 hours ago, 86 points said:

Well home clubs shared their gate receipts and no TV money in the quantity we have now so a much more level playing field . It may be hard to believe for youngsters looking at todays Prem but in those days Derby bought players from the likes of Arsenal and Man City and it was an upgrade.

Absolute  tragedy that he was allowed to leave we would have gone on to dominate Europe like Liverpool did.

16 hours ago, Parsnip said:

It's a brilliant find thanks for posting @86 points - i want to see more stuff like this. Anyone got anymore gems to dump in this thread?

Cloughie's voice sounds even weirder coming from his good looking young 30's face! Where's he got that voice from?!

Handsome young fella, wasn't he? 

8 hours ago, Zurich Ram said:

I'd quite forgotten just how bad the pitch was at the BBG...…!!!

Me too. Makes you laugh when these days poor pitches are put up as an excuse for inability to pass the ball. The BBG surface often resembled a bloody cow patch! 

Archived