Child Medical Help needed!

Smyth_18

Sorry to spam here with a personal issue but you lot have offered me a hell of a lot of help on various subjects on here.

My son is nearly 18 months old and for a long time has really struggled passing stools. He's pushing all day every day and screaming the place down at some point most days, literally trembling. When he does go it is huge and it cuts him.

We've been to the doctors time and time again but nothing is being done to get to the bottom of it. He has an appointment at hospital in October but we're at a stage where we can't wait that long. They say there's nothing they can do. The childminder just rang my wife at work and i've had to get my mum to rush out of work to comfort him. My wife has left work too.

Its affecting his eating, his sleeping and less importantly our careers.

We just want some sort of answer to stop the poor lads pain. Any advice on where we go from here?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start of encopresis possibly.

That’s what it sounds like, need to make sure he drinks plenty of water and eats his greens. 

Surprised the doctor hasn’t looked into that. 

Be careful over loading on fibre though as fibre generally bulks the stool up, you don’t want two double deckers arriving at the same time if you know what I mean. 

This probably isn’t the advice A&E would want me to tell you, but I’ve has bowel issues as well, next time he’s in pain take him in.

They will most likely X Ray him as they did me and tell you that he’s full of poo. As he’s a child they may have something to help him along, especially if the poor bugger is in tears.

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Sorry to spam here with a personal issue but you lot have offered me a hell of a lot of help on various subjects on here.

My son is nearly 18 months old and for a long time has really struggled passing stools. He's pushing all day every day and screaming the place down at some point most days, literally trembling. When he does go it is huge and it cuts him.

We've been to the doctors time and time again but nothing is being done to get to the bottom of it. He has an appointment at hospital in October but we're at a stage where we can't wait that long. They say there's nothing they can do. The childminder just rang my wife at work and i've had to get my mum to rush out of work to comfort him. My wife has left work too.

Its affecting his eating, his sleeping and less importantly our careers.

We just want some sort of answer to stop the poor lads pain. Any advice on where we go from here?

Sorry, I know it's a serious post but...I'll get me coat...

One of our friends kids of about same age had similar problems recently. For her it turned out to be gluten intolerance. They had been feeding her up on fibre to help bowel movements and sadly just made her worse. It took them 3 weeks of vomiting, x-rays and constant hospital visits to get a diagnosis.  GP initially prescribed laxative but that made no difference.

You could try cutting out all wheat for a week and see if things improve. Maybe buy some gluten free pasta and bread for him so he still has familiar foods.

Finally, our little one loves prunes. One prune a day is all it takes to keep him regular! You DON'T want to give him two ???

Have a look at lactulose solution . Pretty sure children can have this -may give you a bit of help in the interim while your appointments pending . Alternatively, and I know not every one can afford it- get the name of the consultant and ring his secretary to book an appointment at the Nuffield in Littleover.  I had to use this option for an ultrasound or wait three months. An appointment tends to be £180-400  depending if the consultant just sees you or does an ultrasound as well, but they do charge more if they do any internal exam regarding cleaning equipment .  A more advanced scan is about £800.  Once you pay thougth you can  go back on the NHS for follow up's / treatments.   My cousin had this problem when he was little and he got that panicky about going to the loo he stopped himself going .  There could be an element of that here as well.

13 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

It's more common than you might think ,two out of three grandkids suffer the same way ,that's not to belittle your predicament but hopefully give you a bit of comfort.

Eliminate anything serious via the doctors and alter diet accordingly was the way we went .Good luck. 

Think your right ,, my daughter suffered badly as a child ,it turned out to be wheat based as boycie put ,, it’s bloody horrible though as the poor little soul was in such a state with it over a long period of time, 

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Movicol?

could need a spell check

Movicol rings a bell, our youngest suffered badly with constipation and the Doc gave us some of this - took the edge of things but I think its something a lot of kids go through then suddenly grow out of it.  Heart breaking to see them struggling day after day though ?

Don't know what your financial situation is but private consultants aren't always as expensive as people think.

If you want an answer before October it might be worth getting a quote from a BMI , Nuffield or Spire hospital. 

All the best to you. It sounds awful for you and your son.

Poor, wee thing. I have heard folk say that probiotics can help though it'd be worth checking out whether they are appropriate for nippers. I can't think why they wouldn't be as they are natural products. They taste nice too (like a naturally sweet yoghurt) so they should be easy to administer, if they are recommended. Another common natural remedy would be prunes. Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies.

We've had an eventful day today. I had to pull over on the way to work because I had about 6 missed calls from the Mrs. She was in tears because he was in so much pain.

I turned around and we took him to hospital. He's been prescribed movicol again but more of it this time and they're trying to bring forward his appointment with the consultant.

Fingers crossed for a bit of movement on all fronts.

50 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Thanks for the replies.

We've had an eventful day today. I had to pull over on the way to work because I had about 6 missed calls from the Mrs. She was in tears because he was in so much pain.

I turned around and we took him to hospital. He's been prescribed movicol again but more of it this time and they're trying to bring forward his appointment with the consultant.

Fingers crossed for a bit of movement on all fronts.

Hope they get the wee lad sorted very soon mate ?

Archived