18/19 Summer Transfer Window

Day

Now the summer transfer window has closed, what are your thoughts on the business Lampard has done and the squad he has available until January?

In (9)
Permanent: Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Evans, Malone, Holmes

Loaned in: Wilson, Mount, Tomori

Out (19)
Permanent: Vydra, Weimann, Hanson, *Blackman, Jerome, **Guy, Zanzala, Vernam

Loaned out: Martin, Thomas, Mitchell, Gordon, Lowe, Babos, Elsnik

Released: Shackell, Bent, Baird, Walker

*loaned out till the end of their contract
**loaned out with a purchase agreed in January

Current Squad

Goalkeepers (2)
Carson, Roos

Defenders (9)
Malone, Forsyth, Davies, Keogh, Tomori, Pearce, Wisdom, Bogle, Olsson (long term injury)

Midfielders (10)
Bryson, Mount, Johnson, Ledley, Holmes, Butterfield, Huddlestone, Evans, Thorne, Anya

Forwards (7)
Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent, Lawrence, Wilson, Jozefzoon, Bennett

Squad Size: 28

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy to see where we would have liked to do better. If Anya, Butterfield and arguably Ledley has gone - it would have been the perfect window. But -3 on permanents, -3 on loans and presumably more cash coming in than going out (plus presumably a significant improvement on the wage bill) you have to say it’s been very successful.

I think we have a much stronger squad than last year.

A little disappointed we didn’t get Butterfield/Anya out but that’s our own fault for giving them ridiculous deals.

Thorne could have done with a loan but he may be in Lampards plans when he is fit.

Overall pretty good, hopefully we have learnt from our mistakes and won’t be signing players that are on their way down anymore. 

Average Age 26.8

Carson (32)
Roos (26)
Malone (27)
Forsyth (29)
Davies (33)
Keogh (32)
Tomori (20)
Pearce (29)
Wisdom (25)
Bogle (18)
Olsson (30)
Bryson (31)
Mount (19)
Johnson (31)
Ledley (31)
Holmes (23)
Butterfield (28)
Huddlestone (31)
Evans (23)
Thorne (25)
Anya (30)
Waghorn (28)
Marriott (23)
Nugent (33)
Lawrence (24)
Wilson (21)
Jozefzoon (27)
Bennett (22)

Two quality players competing for every position in the backfour. 

Bit heavy in the midfield department, but manageable. (Imagine if Thorne and Butterfield got back to their best and weren’t dead weight!)

4 wingers competing for two spots, and all have been proven to be able to make an impact off the bench.

3 hardworking strikers to push each other.

It’s just about right. I think the most impressive thing is managing to get plenty of high earners off the books. Shackell, Bent, Weimann, Vydra, Jerome, Martin we’re apparently all on big bucks. We’ve managed to reduce the wage bill and refresh the squad with youth and quality.

Proof will be how we do this season, but right now it feels like one of the most positive windows we’ve had.

45 minutes ago, David said:

Now the summer transfer window has closed, what are your thoughts on the business Lampard has done and the squad he has available until January?

In (9)

Out (19)
Permanent: Vydra, Weimann, Hanson, *Blackman, *Jerome, **Guy, Zanzala, Vernam

Current Squad

Goalkeepers (2)
Carson, Roos

Defenders (9)
Malone, Forsyth, Davies, Keogh, Tomori, Pearce, Wisdom, Bogle, Olsson (long term injury)

Midfielders (10)
Bryson, Mount, Johnson, Ledley, Holmes, Butterfield, Huddlestone, Evans, Thorne, Anya

Forwards (7)

For a man who was happy with the squad he has made 27 changes. Good job he was not unhappy with the squad!!! Great changes to squad. Only going to get better. ?

Quite shocked at 19 out.

the senior squad is improved if still a bit top heavy as clearly we couldn't get some out yet.

i wouldn't be surprised if one or two contracts don't get terminated yet.

but the u23s are shredded.

opportunities to sibley and bird.

Big changes.  

We need to remember this is Lampards' first transfer window so on that basis I'm more than happy with the squad we have to go into this season with. With a number of contracts expiring in 2019, I think that is when we might see fewer additions but noticeably higher in quality.

1 hour ago, David said:

In (9)

Out (19)

Current Squad

Goalkeepers (2)
Carson, Roos

Defenders (9)

Midfielders (10)

Forwards (7)

When you think he’s only been here three months today,it seems a tremendous initial cull ! 

Roos,Pearce,Olsson,Johnson,Bryson,Huddlestone,Ledley,Butterfield and Nugent see their contracts expire next June as well so we can expect more fun and games! I’d expect one or two of those to leave come the January window.

The wage bill is significantly reduced and the average age has come down a fair bit,what’s not to like?! 

I thought Jerome is meant to be going on a permanent not loan til end of his contract?

Butterfield & Pearce both out of contract so could see 1 or both having their contract mutually terminated. Might save us abit of money to do that than to pay them to sit on their arses

1 hour ago, David said:

In (9)

Out (19)

Current Squad

Goalkeepers (2)
Carson, Roos

Defenders (9)

Midfielders (10)

Forwards (7)

If the u23s outs count havent we signed a couple of u23 players on frees?

It's been a good window when you think about it. FL has been able to shift a fair number of players out, only two or three left that he would probably liked to have got rid of. Such a large amount of churn can often be difficult to manage so drawing the line where we are is fine with me.

I still think we are a bit lightweight in midfield in terms of a physical style player, BJ does a job but doesn't have the passing ability this style needs (that said he's done ok in the last few games).

Hopefully Evans will be back soon and it'll be him and Hudds for the CDM, I get the feeling that second CM spot is BJ's to loose now, FL obviously likes Bryson but he's better in the role that Mount has. And I wouldn't be surprise to see the resurrection of Lesley if he gets the chance in that more advanced CM slot that BJ is now playing it'd suit him much better than the CDM. 

I think we're going to see a much closer link between the under 23 squad and the first team as well. 

19 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I thought Jerome is meant to be going on a permanent not loan til end of his contract?

He has now, it was going to be a loan until the club saw my neatly presented post discussing the transfer window, quick fax to Göztepe and it's now been made permanent move, so for all the Jerome haters out there you owe me a pint.....lucky for you I'm still on the water.

Only took 2 seconds to remove the asterisk next to his name as well.

Archived