Moving to Derby - Advice need please.

ColonelBlimp

Chellaston is a nice place to live and would be good for your employment prospects. It's close enough to several Rolls Royce sites but easy to get to East Midlands Airport. DHL have a huge hub there, UPS are building their biggest facility in Europe. Amazon are building a huge warehouse and Littlewoods are moving their HQ there. There's also the M&S distribution centre at Castle Donington.

Chellaston is right on the southern border of the city, so it's easy to get into the countryside. It's also next to the A50, so quick to get out to the motorway or A38. The pubs are bit rubbish, but there's a few decent country type pubs within easy walking distance. It's also getting a new Aldi and maybe a Lidl so the shopping will get better shortly.

There are a huge amount of new houses being built, but £180k is a bit low for a decent 3 bed, unless you want to utilise a right to buy and have a small mortgage

Chellaston Academy is a sought after school. That's what drives the property prices up. If you go just over the border into Shelton Lock (catchment area for dodgy schools, but no problem for the OP), the prices drop by about 25%. Your budget works well there and it's still a nice place. The pubs are also a bit better and the chippy is excellent. Just stick to the Chellaston side, rather than  the Allenton end.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the links @McRamFan , been doing an awful lot of Rightmoving ?

The second one you linked is very much the style we'd prefer but I though Spondon was a bit iffy?

Trouble is knowing what are good parts and what aren't.

For instance, in Mickleover there are these;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56108787.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66739504.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66738802.html

9 hours ago, Lambchop said:

One of the main things that has kept me in the area since moving here in the 80's is the friendliness of people. I'm from Bedfordshire originally, and it just isn't the same dahn sarf... well, London orbit, anyway. 

Smaller places are better, in my experience. Have you considered a village or somewhere like Matlock or Wirksworth? 

I think Matlock and Wirksworth are a bit too far north for me, though they do look very nice ?

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Thanks for the links @McRamFan , been doing an awful lot of Rightmoving ?

The second one you linked is very much the style we'd prefer but I though Spondon was a bit iffy?

Trouble is knowing what are good parts and what aren't.

For instance, in Mickleover there are these;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56108787.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66739504.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66738802.html

Spondon is fine, it has a great community feel and has a summer fete.  Been living here for 10 years, previously grew up in the better part of Chad. (had a few decades away in various places).

Spondon is a little awkward to get to, so you don't have the car volume, or kids hanging out.  Except at exam result time when the village precinct can get a little loud.  It also has one of the best resturant's in Derby.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187048-d5927760-Reviews-The_Clock_Bistro-Derby_Derbyshire_England.html

Stay away from that, can have issues with the 'dormers' leaking. Always get a full roof. They always appear a bargain, heard some bad stories where water get in and slowly rots the base of the frame, over years and years, and you have to replace virtually the lot.

Sorry not meant to be harsh.

No no, all good. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Thanks for the info.

So, Spondon is pretty ok then. Are there specific parts to avoid?

Someone mentioned the area in Chad between Nottingham Rd and the A52? If that includes Albert Rd then no thanks, park my car down there on matchdays and it looks very grim to me!

14 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Spondon is fine, it has a great community feel and has a summer fete.  Been living here for 10 years, previously grew up in the better part of Chad. (had a few decades away in various places).

Spondon is a little awkward to get to, so you don't have the car volume, or kids hanging out.  Except at exam result time when the village precinct can get a little loud.  It also has one of the best resturant's in Derby.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187048-d5927760-Reviews-The_Clock_Bistro-Derby_Derbyshire_England.html

I'd second the recommendation for that part of Spondon.

It's the bits south of the A52 you should avoid, which is where I spent the first 20 years of my life. Not a hard and fast rule, as there are still some nice bits even there, but as a rule of thumb I'd say it's fair.

6 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

No no, all good. Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Thanks for the info.

So, Spondon is pretty ok then. Are there specific parts to avoid?

Someone mentioned the area in Chad between Nottingham Rd and the A52? If that includes Albert Rd then no thanks, park my car down there on matchdays and it looks very grim to me!

Anywhere from Meadow Lane onwards towards town is nice, though busy on a match day. So not where you park up. Similarly up Chad Lane as far as it meets the Oakwood estate is fine too, apart from a few pockets.

6 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I think Matlock and Wirksworth are a bit too far north for me, though they do look very nice ?

Too far north, as in 25 mins drive/ train to Derby?

Each to their own, but I'd take that over living on a suburban estate. 

No offence. 

You are going to have to drive round and 'feel' the areas. Its weird what appeals and what doesn't. 

Sinfin, Allenton and Normanton would get a big 'no' from me. Chaddesden and Mackworth both have poor reputations but having visited people who lived there, actually some parts are ok. They are close to town and if you are not bothered about the schools then you could get a lot more house.

Littleover and Mickleover you can't go wrong with. Etwall is nice enough. Allestree is overpriced for me now. 

But I had a relative who lived in Stenson Fields and I agree with every word of @Lambchop's estimation.

It seems perfect from the outside....but it just felt souless to me. Just a bunch of houses. No community....no identity...no shops.. nothing.

8 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Too far north, as in 25 mins drive/ train to Derby?

Each to their own, but I'd take that over living on a suburban estate. 

No offence. 

Hey, no offence but I agree with you on suburban estate thing.

In my head, further North means colder and I despise the cold so even moving up to the East Mids is making the old brain get nervous.

Illogical I know, Derby on average is no colder than Worthing except in the winter by a little bit!

And I'll need to get a job so a bigger job market would be handy, much harder when you get over 50 isn't it?

Oh, you can stop saying 'no offence'!  You've been incredibly helpful in educating me and giving me pause for thought.

The biggest factor with the cold is altitude. I lived for years in Bonsall and also Cromford. They're 2 miles apart but 900ft height difference. Bonsall would always have snow when Cromford didn't, and had the wind blowing in off the moor. You should be ok anywhere up the Derwent valley though. 

Jobs over 50, again I'd recommend a village community. People always know what's going and are happy to give work to someone local. There was someone in Bonsall, who I won't name, who would be totally unemployable anywhere else, but kept his job because, aw, it's only so and so, what's he done now!

12 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I reckon as soon as I open my mouth it'll be 'he ain't from round here' then everyone will whisper behind my back and the pub will fall silent when I walk in.

When I moved to Derbyshire people said it would take 25 years to be accepted. Others said 4 generations at least!

I reckon a couple of years to really get to know people, but have generally found people to be friendly from the off, and I'm pretty weird and difficult to like. 

I wouldn't worry, seriously, but as mentioned I'd definitely recommend choosing somewhere that has a community spirit. That adds more to your quality of life than a posh house imo. 

Quality of life is definitely the number 1 thing for us. 

Somewhere nice to live, jobs that cover the bills with a bit left over to be comfortable, nice places to ride our bikes that aren't too hilly and easy access to anywhere.

Less wind and no seagulls, effing hate seagulls!

Quality of life is definitely the number 1 thing for us. 

Somewhere nice to live, jobs that cover the bills with a bit left over to be comfortable, nice places to ride our bikes that aren't too hilly and easy access to anywhere.

Less wind and no seagulls, effing hate seagulls!

Have you looked on Rightmove to get an idea of where you might be able to afford? Or give you an idea of whether you'd have to compromise on area or property. If you want out of town then ex-council houses are often value for money in village locations.

Archived