La Liga to stage a match in USA

therealhantsram

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, McLovin said:

And are we forgetting that the Sevilla side who regularly conceded 3 or more to La Liga teams last season, absolutely battered Man Utd Home and away in champions league? 

Is that relevant though? Didn't liverpool beat city twice in the champions league and Roma knock out Barca, 2 teams that won their leagues easily?

31 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

To settle the argument once and for all....

In La Liga - Raúl Albentosa gets a game....

Claude Davis has played in the Premier League but never in La Liga...….surely that beats your Albentosa point ?  ?

6 hours ago, David said:

How have I refused when I have already said that I see the quality of the Premier League distributed over more teams than La Liga which makes it a competitive league.

And you don't think La Liga sides are living off Barca and Real? take those two sides away and the La Liga would crumble.

Real had a dodgy season by their standards domestically which is probably why Zidane left, the previous season they only lost 3 games all season. Even with a dodgy season they managed to score 94 goals. 

Man City and Barca walked their leagues last season, looking at the 4 teams below them, 11 points separated them in the Premier League 2nd to 5th. 18 points in La Liga. 

in the Premier League the gap was 21 points between Swansea who got relegated and Burnley qualified for Europe. La Liga 28 points was the gap between Sevilla and Deportivo.

La Liga bottom 3 combined won a total of 16 games, Premier League bottom 3, 21 games.

La Liga bottom 3 scored a combined total of 86 goals, Premier League bottom 3, 94 goals.

La Liga bottom 3 conceded a total of 211 goals, Premier League bottom 3, 180.

So in summary less points separated Premier League sides, the bottom 3 won more, scored more, conceded less than La Liga.

More competitive. 

So let me get this right. You harp on about La Liga being poor outside the top three, and then I've just proven to you that the Premier League's top three gained more points than La Liga's top three.

And now you're changing your tune to the league being more competitive because the bottom three faired better than La Liga's bottom three. 

So the gap in the PL between 7th and 18th is lower than La Liga? Doesn't that just mean the clubs between 7th and 18th in the PL are equally poor, and equally miles behind the PL's top six making it an uncompetitive league?

As I said, nobody gives two hoots about the rest of the clubs. Nobody cares that Burnley can beat Watford one week, lose to Bournemouth the next and then come back with another win over Brighton.

This debate is dragging on now. You're changing tact to suit your own agenda. You don't like La Liga. We get it.

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

And are we forgetting that the Sevilla side who regularly conceded 3 or more to La Liga teams last season, absolutely battered Man Utd Home and away in champions league? 

And are we forgetting Tottenham thoroughly outplayed Madrid both home and away? It works both ways, you can't use one off examples as a measure for the strength of a whole league. 

Wasn't the original point that this is likely to be a trend we might see the EPL follow? With rugby league and union internationals being played in the US, plus pre-season tournaments for football now an annual mainstay I agree that this is likely to be something we see more of. NFL games in the UK, NBA and basketball games also, it seems something that the global sporting bodies are keen to use to expand their vehicle.

My view is that it just doesn't work. They would be far better pushing their television packages and attracting fans that way. Italian football was more popular in the UK not because Juventus played Milan at Old Trafford but because it was on Channel 4 every week.

All of that said, a European league / tournament - maybe a global one - seems the most logical way to expand. It keeps getting mentioned and will happen one day, maybe long after people remember the one off failed experiment of La Liga games playing in the States.

Both leagues are the same in that you can already tell me the winner of both. 

The “advantage” that the Premiershite has is that down from City, United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Victims every single team could realistically finish any place from 7th to bottom so this makes it a bit more exciting. 

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And are we forgetting Tottenham thoroughly outplayed Madrid both home and away? It works both ways, you can't use one off examples as a measure for the strength of a whole league. 

Not really a lot we can go off in terms of measuring the overall strength of the league.

If I was to lean towards Spain, I would say that Spanish clubs (four of them) winning 9 of the last 10 european trophies on offer would suggest they are Europe's leading clubs. The fact that the PL's top three earned more points combined than La Liga's top three last season would also suggest that the rest of La Liga give the top three a tougher time compared to the rest of the PL.

Both of those adds up to a clear suggestion that La Liga's clubs are of a better standard than the PL's clubs.

But I'm sure there are other stats than can suggest the opposite in favour of the Premier League.

Either way, the PL's riches should prompt a much better standard accross the board. With so many PL clubs buying from abroad, and paying big too, it should also allow more flexibility for foreign clubs in the transfer market.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You jeep saying La Liga outside the top 3 is poor, yet refuse to comment on the PL outside the top 6.

Keep moving those goalposts Bris, makes for a great discussion.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

So let me get this right. You harp on about La Liga being poor outside the top three, and then I've just proven to you that the Premier League's top three gained more points than La Liga's top three.

And now you're changing your tune to the league being more competitive because the bottom three faired better than La Liga's bottom three. 

So the gap in the PL between 7th and 18th is lower than La Liga? Doesn't that just mean the clubs between 7th and 18th in the PL are equally poor, and equally miles behind the PL's top six making it an uncompetitive league?

As I said, nobody gives two hoots about the rest of the clubs. Nobody cares that Burnley can beat Watford one week, lose to Bournemouth the next and then come back with another win over Brighton.

This debate is dragging on now. You're changing tact to suit your own agenda. You don't like La Liga. We get it.

As you say it's dragging out now, you hammer me for not explaining why attendances/viewing figures matter when I've clearly put across my thoughts on why they do.

You try and hammer me for not commenting outside the top 6, when I do I'm changing tact to suit my agenda.

You like La Liga and won't have a word said against it, we get it.

Enjoy it, knock yourself out. I will stick to leagues that offer more entertainment and a better quality of football played in front of full stadiums. 

42 minutes ago, Andicis said:

42 minutes ago, Andicis said:

In the group stages when Madrid were in their worst spell of the season and had key players out injured.... Completely different to the knockout stages where they knocked out the team who knocked Spurs out. 

4 hours ago, Joe. said:

Is that relevant though? Didn't liverpool beat city twice in the champions league and Roma knock out Barca, 2 teams that won their leagues easily?

It is relevant when said team is accused of being poor despite knocking out and outplaying the second best team in the premier league. If they knocked Utd out by fluke like a lower league team does to a bigger team in a cup match, I’d agree with you but De Gea prevented the score from being embarrassing for Utd.

15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Both leagues are the same in that you can already tell me the winner of both. 

The “advantage” that the Premiershite has is that down from City, United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Victims every single team could realistically finish any place from 7th to bottom so this makes it a bit more exciting. 

La Liga is instantly better because they don’t have the victims in their league or their fans saying every year “this year is our year”, “we’re scouse not English”.

34 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Wasn't the original point that this is likely to be a trend we might see the EPL follow? With rugby league and union internationals being played in the US, plus pre-season tournaments for football now an annual mainstay I agree that this is likely to be something we see more of. NFL games in the UK, NBA and basketball games also, it seems something that the global sporting bodies are keen to use to expand their vehicle.

My view is that it just doesn't work. They would be far better pushing their television packages and attracting fans that way. Italian football was more popular in the UK not because Juventus played Milan at Old Trafford but because it was on Channel 4 every week.

All of that said, a European league / tournament - maybe a global one - seems the most logical way to expand. It keeps getting mentioned and will happen one day, maybe long after people remember the one off failed experiment of La Liga games playing in the States.

The PL doesn't need to play games outside the UK to raise popularity, it's hugely popular already and with the advances in technology with streaming fans can watch without bringing league games to them.

Any attempt to push this through will be met with huge resistance and I can't see clubs agreeing to it at all, knowing it would alienate their fans.

La Liga is trying to play catch up with the PL to increase it's popularity as the gulf in money will really start to hurt their clubs in time, the US however is a strange choice as soccer is still a developing game over there, the Asian market is one they should be looking to crack and win back some ground as that can be more lucrative for clubs. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

Keep moving those goalposts Bris, makes for a great discussion.

As you say it's dragging out now, you hammer me for not explaining why attendances/viewing figures matter when I've clearly put across my thoughts on why they do.

You try and hammer me for not commenting outside the top 6, when I do I'm changing tact to suit my agenda.

You like La Liga and won't have a word said against it, we get it.

Enjoy it, knock yourself out. I will stick to leagues that offer more entertainment and a better quality of football played in front of full stadiums. 

What goal posts am I moving? You're the one who changed tact from claiming the La Liga is poor/crap whatever outside the top three to then proceeding to say how uncompetitive it is because the bottom three got cut adrift.

I don't have an answer for you to your question 'why does La Liga have such terrible viewing figures'. Maybe people, or the neutral, simply don't like the style of football in La Liga. It's all very similar with not a lot of variation.

Most teams in La Liga play possession-based football and opt to build-up attacks from the back.

In the PL there is no doubt more variation, with Pep's style, to Klopp's pressing, to Mourinho's defensive Man United, to a Sam Allardyce long-ball team, to Burnley's direct style.

Though I don't believe Bournemouth, Brighton or Watford's style of play has any bearing on the attractiveness of the PL. I believe the PL is watched throughout the world due to the top 6 only.

The standard of La Liga's teams, outside the top 3, is equally good if not better than the PL's equivalent. I know you probably won't agree with that, but there is plenty of evidence to back that up.

Again going back to why people don't watch it. It's actually a good question, and there doesn't seem to be a logical answer. As mentioned, the Bundesliga gets more bums on seats than any other league, and that's the least competitive of the three.

10 minutes ago, David said:

The PL doesn't need to play games outside the UK to raise popularity, it's hugely popular already and with the advances in technology with streaming fans can watch without bringing league games to them.

Any attempt to push this through will be met with huge resistance and I can't see clubs agreeing to it at all, knowing it would alienate their fans.

La Liga is trying to play catch up with the PL to increase it's popularity as the gulf in money will really start to hurt their clubs in time, the US however is a strange choice as soccer is still a developing game over there, the Asian market is one they should be looking to crack and win back some ground as that can be more lucrative for clubs. 

I don't think it works full stop, Asia or Timbuktu - look how many efforts they've had in rugby league to get anyone out of site of the M62 to give a tinker's cuss about it. My guess is they are trying to tap into the Hispanic community, mistakenly of the belief that if you speak the same language that will make it instantly attractive to you (like that's worked with us and NFL - thirty years later it is little more than a three week spectacle yet still they talk of the 'London Blackcabs' or whatever they will be called).

There are so many failed attempts at this - Aussie Rules at The Oval many years back being another. It doesn't work.

Archived