La Liga to stage a match in USA

therealhantsram

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not really a lot we can go off in terms of measuring the overall strength of the league.

If I was to lean towards Spain, I would say that Spanish clubs (four of them) winning 9 of the last 10 european trophies on offer would suggest they are Europe's leading clubs. The fact that the PL's top three earned more points combined than La Liga's top three last season would also suggest that the rest of La Liga give the top three a tougher time compared to the rest of the PL.

Both of those adds up to a clear suggestion that La Liga's clubs are of a better standard than the PL's clubs.

But I'm sure there are other stats than can suggest the opposite in favour of the Premier League.

Either way, the PL's riches should prompt a much better standard accross the board. With so many PL clubs buying from abroad, and paying big too, it should also allow more flexibility for foreign clubs in the transfer market.

But don't players regularly say the Premier League was physically tougher than anything they experienced anywhere else?

Let's not include the Europa league, because we all know it's a pointless trophy. 

The team that won the last Champions League is on it's last legs. Their star has left. As for Barca, they need a full rebuild. Neither Barca nor Madrid should scare any Premier League side this year, because they're both sides past their best. City, Liverpool, Spurs are as good as these sides now. It pretty much tends to go in cycles, the Premier League had a period of dominance too, Germany briefly and Italy too. I'd argue the Spanish cycle of dominance is coming to an end.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLovin said:

In the group stages when Madrid were in their worst spell of the season and had key players out injured.... Completely different to the knockout stages where they knocked out the team who knocked Spurs out. 

Which key players were out injured vs Spurs? The only one I can think of would be Bale. Doesn't change the facts they were dominated. The second point is completely irrelevant, anybody who watches football knows Spurs were vastly superior to Juve in everything but experience. Juve never deserved to go through that tie.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

But don't players regularly say the Premier League was physically tougher than anything they experienced anywhere else?

Let's not include the Europa league, because we all know it's a pointless trophy. 

The team that won the last Champions League is on it's last legs. Their star has left. As for Barca, they need a full rebuild. Neither Barca nor Madrid should scare any Premier League side this year, because they're both sides past their best. City, Liverpool, Spurs are as good as these sides now. It pretty much tends to go in cycles, the Premier League has a period of dominance too, Germany briefly and Italy too. I'd argue the Spanish cycle of dominance is coming to an end.

Physically tougher because the league reies on pace and power whereas other leagues tend to be more tactical, at a slower pace but with more technique, meaning that the premier league is more chaotic and entertaining for viewers.

I agree that Madrid aren’t as strong as they were as Ronaldo left but look at their team! They signed one of the top 3 goalkeepers in the world, one of the best right backs in Spain and bought one of the hottest prospects in Brazil in Vicious Junior. Isco and Bale will replace Ronaldo. They may not have Ronaldo’s goalscoring ability but they are far better in their build up play. Like Derby with Vydra, the goals are more likely to be spread out through their team.

However, Barca look strong. They’ve had a very good window and addressed their problem areas. Look what Messi did the last time after the World Cup in 2014, he was extra motivated and Barca ended up winning the treble. Atletico also look very strong. 

As for City, Liverpool and Spurs being as good as Madrid and Barca, City aside , what have they won? How can Liverpool and Spurs be called as good as Barca and Madrid when they haven’t won anything? Even Pep admitted that City are still way off the Barca’s, Madrid’s and Bayern’s of this world.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Which key players were out injured vs Spurs? The only one I can think of would be Bale. Doesn't change the facts they were dominated. The second point is completely irrelevant, anybody who watches football knows Spurs were vastly superior to Juve in everything but experience. Juve never deserved to go through that tie.

Navas, Varane, Carvajal, Bale. Madrid also had double the amount of shots as Spurs did, wouldn’t call that being dominated? In fact I remember it being the opposite, Madrid dominated both games against spurs but stupid mistakes cost them.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Physically tougher because the league reies on pace and power whereas other leagues tend to be more tactical, at a slower pace but with more technique, meaning that the premier league is more chaotic and entertaining for viewers.

I agree that Madrid aren’t as strong as they were as Ronaldo left but look at their team! They signed one of the top 3 goalkeepers in the world, one of the best right backs in Spain and bought one of the hottest prospects in Brazil in Vicious Junior. Isco and Bale will replace Ronaldo. They may not have Ronaldo’s goalscoring ability but they are far better in their build up play. Like Derby with Vydra, the goals are more likely to be spread out through their team.

However, Barca look strong. They’ve had a very good window and addressed their problem areas. Look what Messi did the last time after the World Cup in 2014, he was extra motivated and Barca ended up winning the treble. Atletico also look very strong. 

As for City, Liverpool and Spurs being as good as Madrid and Barca, City aside , what have they won? How can Liverpool and Spurs be called as good as Barca and Madrid when they haven’t won anything? Even Pep admitted that City are still way off the Barca’s, Madrid’s and Bayern’s of this world.

Bayern? Why are Bayern being included along? They've not done anything in the Champions League for years. 

Top 3 keeper in the world? Not a chance. Courtois was at a push top 3 in the Prem. Let's not overrate him. Vinicius junior, by your logic, what has he ever won? He's got potential, but they're replacing arguably the World's best player with an unproven 18 year old. Bale is injury prone. They're losing huge goal contributions, and Modric may yet go, so they could lose their two best players in one window. 

Which one of Barca's signings impress you? Vidal wasn't amazing at Bayern, and is now in my opinion past his prime. Malcom looked like a panic buy, I don't see where he fits into that team. Barca have been too lightweight for a long time. Atletico are good, but are they anything special?

City and Liverpool both would have gone far in the Champions League if they didn't draw each other. Liverpool was very unfortunate in that Champions League final, how would any team deal with losing their star player to injury in the first half? They've also bolstered their team. I'm almost positive this year a Spanish team won't win the UCL. Juve seem a good shout to be contenders, but I don't see Madrid or Barca challenging for a while.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Navas, Varane, Carvajal, Bale. Madrid also had double the amount of shots as Spurs did, wouldn’t call that being dominated? In fact I remember it being the opposite, Madrid dominated both games against spurs but stupid mistakes cost them.

Oh come on now. You're using super misleading stats to build your argument. Watching both of those games in full, Madrid had a lot of possession they did nothing to, and took wild long shots mainly off target. Spurs should have scored more, with Alli missing a sitter at Wembley. Spurs lost Alderweireld to injury in the first half, and Alli was suspended for the first leg. You need to be less disingenuous with your cherry picking of details. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Bayern? Why are Bayern being included along? They've not done anything in the Champions League for years. 

Top 3 keeper in the world? Not a chance. Courtois was at a push top 3 in the Prem. Let's not overrate him. Vinicius junior, by your logic, what has he ever won? He's got potential, but they're replacing arguably the World's best player with an unproven 18 year old. Bale is injury prone. They're losing huge goal contributions, and Modric may yet go, so they could lose their two best players in one window. 

Which one of Barca's signings impress you? Vidal wasn't amazing at Bayern, and is now in my opinion past his prime. Malcom looked like a panic buy, I don't see where he fits into that team. Barca have been too lightweight for a long time. Atletico are good, but are they anything special?

City and Liverpool both would have gone far in the Champions League if they didn't draw each other. Liverpool was very unfortunate in that Champions League final, how would any team deal with losing their star player to injury in the first half? They've also bolstered their team. I'm almost positive this year a Spanish team won't win the UCL. Juve seem a good shout to be contenders, but I don't see Madrid or Barca challenging for a while.

It was Pep who said it not me. But I don’t particularly understand your logic. On one hand you say that Bayern haven’t done anything the champions league in years, even though they are a heck of a lot more consistent than every English side, and then say that Liverpool, Spurs and City are as good as Barca and Madrid even though two of those teams have never won the champions league and the other hadn’t won it in 13 years.

You say Liverpool were unfortunate in the final but they were lucky to get there in the first place. They had some very questionable refereeing decisions in their favour against both City and Roma.

Madrid have won the last 3 champions leagues, to say they’re past it is ridiculous. People said the same last season before they ended up winning it yet again. Meanwhile with Barca, don’t  forget that they will have Coutinho this year in the champions league. Dembele will be a better player after a year of adapting. They have more than enough physically strong players, Pique, Umtiti, Semedo, Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic and Suarez will provide enough physically.

As for Atletico not being anything special, using that same logic Spurs and Liverpool aren’t anything special either? Atletico have been far more successful in European competitions than both of them.

I just don’t understand how you can say Liverpool and Spurs are as good as Barca and Madrid even though they haven’t won anything!

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Oh come on now. You're using super misleading stats to build your argument. Watching both of those games in full, Madrid had a lot of possession they did nothing to, and took wild long shots mainly off target. Spurs should have scored more, with Alli missing a sitter at Wembley. Spurs lost Alderweireld to injury in the first half, and Alli was suspended for the first leg. You need to be less disingenuous with your cherry picking of details. 

Not cherry picking details, only using stats to support my argument! Spurs’ goals were due to Madrid mistakes, not because of outstanding play by themselves.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not cherry picking details, only using stats to support my argument! Spurs’ goals were due to Madrid mistakes, not because of outstanding play by themselves.

Completely pointless argument. Next you'll tell me Benzema and Bale's second against Liverpool were because of outstanding play. You show some real double standards when comparing the two leagues. You can't tell me Eriksen's goal vs Madrid at Wembley wasn't outstanding play. It was a fantastic counter, but that won't fit your bias I suppose.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Completely pointless argument. Next you'll tell me Benzema and Bale's second against Liverpool were because of outstanding play. You show some real double standards when comparing the two leagues. You can't tell me Eriksen's goal vs Madrid at Wembley wasn't outstanding play. It was a fantastic counter, but that won't fit your bias I suppose.

But how can you say that Liverpool and Tottenham are as good as Madrid and Barcelona when they have the grand total of 1 trophy between them in the last 10 years, which was Liverpool’s win in 2012 in the league cup final against Cardiff. Since then absolutely nothing apart from the ‘put the pressure on’ and ‘this is our year trophies’.

City I can understand, even though Pep admitted that City are behind the best teams in Europe, but Liverpool and Spurs? Nah, even the most hardcore of their fans would admit that they’re not on Madrid or Barca’s level.

Ignoring the prem v Spanish league debate, the idea is absolutely ridiculous. Same with the 39th premier league game proposal. Isn’t that what was pre season was for.

How would it even work, practically. For example Brighton v Man Utd. They wouldn’t go to the match to see Brighton , they would be there to watch Man Utd. Would they expect loyal Brighton fans to travel all the way to the USA? Absolutely ridiculous.

Sith Happens

Listening to Talk Sport Friday on my way home i got the (wrong) impression the PL were talking about this.

But it did make me think. They are bringing in a winter so called break as the players need rest then potentially could fly them out for a round of games as one of the 38.

Problem is it might happen, but it wont happen for all 20 PL clubs I am sure. The US (or wherever cause the PL is massive in lots of countries) wont want to see Bournemouth vs Huddersfield. So top draw games like Liverpool vs Man Utd etc will get chosen.

And what if they do do it for all clubs and your home game against everton takes place on a neutral ground, but you lose, or draw, and get relegated by 1 point?

They already play over there in the champions cup or whatever its called. That should be enough.

In terms of global popularity? La Liga vs Premier League? No contest. It's fair enough to say that it's the top 7 or 8 sides in the PL that generate the interest, but compare that to La Liga where I seriously doubt there's any great interest beyond Real and Barcelona, France, where it's just PSG and Germany where it's Bayern. It doesn't really surprise at all that Serie A remains popular - even with Juventus dominating, there's still a raft of iconic sides - Inter, Milan, Roma, Napoli, Lazio...

La Liga represents the ultimate footballing dichotomy - the greatest players, and the dullest league. I'd rather watch the Bundesliga, Serie A or Ligue One tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So it's not a Barcelona home game then? ?

Barca home games are already tourist attractions, no need to move them thousands of miles away.

The 1500 Girona season ticket holders don’t matter though, bung em a free flight to a different time zone with a one night hotel stay to watch the game surrounded by Messi fans. 

What would be a difficult game anyway, throwing away home advantage the first time ever isn’t it? These two sides meet in the league with.

So wrong. So so wrong.

Archived