Best team?

sage

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Lowe

Huddlestone 

Bryson Mount

Jozefzoon Marriott Wilson 

Hopefully Thorne will stay and Waghorn should be rotating with Marriott based on form.

Lowe needs a run of games which I think he’ll get, it’s a shame that Thomas isn’t staying to fight for a place but Bennett seems to be impressing Frank.

Lawrence is still bobbins ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current team

Carson

Wisdom    Keogh      Timori   Malone

Johnson

Bryson      Mount

Josefzoon Waghorn Wilson

Eventually

Carson

Timori Keogh Davies Malone

Thorne

Bryson           Mount

Waghorn  Martin  Wilson

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Eventually

Carson

Thorne

Bryson           Mount

Waghorn  Martin  Wilson

It’s a nice thought Sage, but if the Rams ever put out a first 11 team in a competitive game that includes all of Keogh, Thorne, Bryson and Martin l will eat your shorts.

Just now, i-Ram said:

It’s a nice thought Sage, but if the Rams ever put out a first 11 team in a competitive game that includes all of Keogh, Thorne, Bryson and Martin l will eat your shorts.

That is if everyone is completely fit.

It's a big if.

The only way we can possibly play Mount and Bryson the same is if we play 4-1-4-1 and completely dominate possession, and press intensely to win it back. Similar to how Guardiola plays the formation.

If not, and the ball is quickly turned over or given away on our part, then Mount and Bryson get killed as they're both wanting to play further forward and it leaves the holding midfielder completely isolated.

Our holding midfielders are all tanks. Ledley, Huddlestone, Thorne, BJ.... They're all incredibly slow.

It will just never work unless we learn how to retain to the ball far better. Which with Lawrence or Lowe in the team, is simply never going to happen.

Right now I'd say our best starting XI is:

Carson

Tomori at RB, surely got to be better than Wisdom who is bloody awful

Keogh and Carson at CB

Malone at LB (can't be any worse than Lowe surely?)

Huddlestone

Butterfield (can't believe I'm saying this as he's poor, but at least he won't abandon position and can pass the ball better than BJ)

Mount

Jozefzoon (wide right)

Wilson (wide left in his better position)

Waghorn 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

The only way we can possibly play Mount and Bryson the same is if we play 4-1-4-1 and completely dominate possession, and press intensely to win it back. Similar to how Guardiola plays the formation.

If not, and the ball is quickly turned over or given away on our part, then Mount and Bryson get killed as they're both wanting to play further forward and it leaves the holding midfielder completely isolated.

Our holding midfielders are all tanks. Ledley, Huddlestone, Thorne, BJ.... They're all incredibly slow.

It will just never work unless we learn how to retain to the ball far better. Which with Lawrence or Lowe in the team, is simply never going to happen.

Right now I'd say our best starting XI is:

Carson

Tomori at RB, surely got to be better than Wisdom who is bloody awful

Keogh and Carson at CB

Malone at LB (can't be any worse than Lowe surely?)

Huddlestone

Butterfield (can't believe I'm saying this as he's poor, but at least he won't abandon position and can pass the ball better than BJ)

Mount

Jozefzoon (wide right)

Wilson (wide left in his better position)

Waghorn 

is Carson playing rush back?

Carson

Wisdom    Davies     Tomori      Malone

Huddlestone     Evans

Wilson              Mount          Lawrence

Waghorn

Roos, Keogh, Lowe, Ledley, Bryson, Jozefzoon, Marriott

Bryson or Johnson for the bench 

Carson

Tomori     Keogh   Davies    Malone

Huddlestone     Evans

Waghorn

This is assuming that Evans is decent. I do think we will rotate a lot this season though. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a front 4 with Marriott up top and Waghorn on the left on some days. I also think in this system Bradley can thrive a little more in this position and could come in for certain games as could Bryson (shift to 4123. Jozefzoon is clearly a good option and could start on either wing if Wilson or Lawrence are having a dip. I think Frank may be looking to Tomori being a starter, not sure whether that’s at rb or cb. 

Its good to see we we do have genuine options though. There could of course be others to come in a fit and firing Martin and Thorne would be good. As someone else mentioned an on form Butterfield could also slot into this midfield nicely...

9 hours ago, sage said:

Carson

Thorne

Bryson           Mount

Waghorn  Martin  Wilson

Are you stuck in the past?

Keogh I suppose is arguable.

Thorne (Even if fit) - What has he shown in recent times to justify a place? Fit does not mean playing well.

Martin - I have no words. 

Carson

Bogle    Tomori    Davies   Malone

Huddlestone  Evans

Wilson         Mount        Lawrence 

Waghorn 

Right back is clearly a problem area. Bogle in for Wisdom because he’s competent offensively. Who knows, he might do what Alexander Arnold did for Liverpool last season to be a stand out starter?

38 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Are you stuck in the past?

Keogh I suppose is arguable.

Thorne (Even if fit) - What has he shown in recent times to justify a place? Fit does not mean playing well.

Martin - I have no words. 

Thorne if fully fit (and it's a big if) would suit this team more as fully fit he is more mobile than Huddlestone and plays through the lines rather than over the top with his passing.

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Thorne if fully fit (and it's a big if) would suit this team more as fully fit he is more mobile than Huddlestone and plays through the lines rather than over the top with his passing.

Back in the day, yes. Fit or not, he misplaced so many passes last year, I just don't see any justification that would make him a potential for our 'best' side. You can play a 10 yard pass unfit or fit but if your head says 'this is a good pass', then there is an opposition player in the way? That's bad football, that's bad decision making, not fitness. I think George has as many problems in his head as he does with his body.

No question we would all love to see the old George but I really don't see it.

Don't really get the Huddlestone mobility bit either. We have mobility in the team, he has the vision. Could be argued that we had too much mobility against Leeds, hence Ledley being out of position so much. Hudds is not always over the top, he can see a pass the big lad.

I think finally as a club we are letting go of that play off team and that is great. As much as I loved that year it's been like a black cloud over us ever since. It's time for the fans to move on as well. Martin FFS, you could have added Steve Mac as manager. We could also throw in the same kit?

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Back in the day, yes. Fit or not, he misplaced so many passes last year, I just don't see any justification that would make him a potential for our 'best' side. You can play a 10 yard pass unfit or fit but if your head says 'this is a good pass', then there is an opposition player in the way? That's bad football, that's bad decision making, not fitness. I think George has as many problems in his head as he does with his body.

Don't really get the Huddlestone mobility bit either. We have mobility in the team, he has the vision. Could be argued that we had too much mobility against Leeds, hence Ledley being out of position so much. Hudds is not always over the top, he can see a pass the big lad.

I think finally as a club we are letting go of that play off team and that is great. As much as I loved that year it's been like a black cloud over us ever since. It's time for the fans to move on as well. Martin FFS, you could have added Steve Mac as manager. We could also throw in the same kit?

The mobility is important as the gap between the other 2 CM and the DCM is greater than ever.

I am surprised FL did not try to sign a quick DCM like Woods. 

9 hours ago, JW37 said:

Carson

Wisdom    Davies     Tomori      Malone

Huddlestone     Evans

Waghorn

Roos, Keogh, Lowe, Ledley, Bryson, Jozefzoon, Marriott

Bryson or Johnson for the bench 

Absolutely agree. Love this team.

Huddlestone would benefit from Evans mobility. Mount given the free role.

Two CDM giving all the front 4 more freedom.

More solid at the back.

16 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Fitness makes so much difference to touch and passing range. Getting your body in the shape to execute the thing you want to do well - is so dependent on your reactions being tip top. Quality reactions come with quality fitness. Trust me - this is so important.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

The mobility is important as the gap between the other 2 CM and the DCM is greater than ever.

I am surprised FL did not try to sign a quick DCM like Woods. 

Not denying mobility is important in some cases but a pass can create mobility. Let's take Saturday as an example, was the gap between the 2 midfielders and the holding player too big? If it was, why was Waghorn so isolated?

A good pass keeps the DCM in position and also creates the space. Huddlestone is currently our best in that role. He will pass you to death given the chance.

Strongest team for Saturday would be -

Carson

Wisdom     Tomori      Keogh       Malone

Evans                        Johnson

Mount

Wilson                                         Lawrence

Waghorn

You cant leave out Mount because he is on of our best players and has scored 2 in 3 and you cant leave out Lawrence either as he has scored 2 in 2 (not in team for Oldham)......

Archived