Best team?

sage

Just now, Angry Ram said:

Not denying mobility is important in some cases but a pass can create mobility. Let's take Saturday as an example, was the gap between the 2 midfielders and the holding player too big? If it was, why was Waghorn so isolated?

A good pass keeps the DCM in position and also creates the space. Huddlestone is currently our best in that role. He will pass you to death given the chance.

I would pick Tom when he is over the groin problem. Certainly lovely to watch and better than Ledley.

As for the Leeds game, in the first half it was the defence that were isolated as Ledley was often caught upfield or easily bypassed.

In the second half we used Johnson to close that gap but then Waghorn got isolated and we ceased to exist as an attacking force.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Fitness makes so much difference to touch and passing range. Getting your body in the shape to execute the thing you want to do well - is so dependent on your reactions being tip top. Quality reactions come with quality fitness. Trust me - this is so important.

Not disagreeing that fitness helps. Why when Thorne played last year, I assume the club deterimed he was fit, have so many mares and made so many bad decisions? He was dropped and rightly so. This thread is about who is our best team, if everyone is fit. Just don't see Thorne is that equation at the moment. Perhaps if the question was who is our best team and everyone was playing at their peak.. Yes, Thorne would be in. Fit, Na...

3 hours ago, Kirkbyram said:

Carson

Tomori     Keogh   Davies    Malone

Huddlestone     Evans

Wilson              Mount          Lawrence

Waghorn

This is assuming that Evans is decent. I do think we will rotate a lot this season though. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a front 4 with Marriott up top and Waghorn on the left on some days. I also think in this system Bradley can thrive a little more in this position and could come in for certain games as could Bryson (shift to 4123. Jozefzoon is clearly a good option and could start on either wing if Wilson or Lawrence are having a dip. I think Frank may be looking to Tomori being a starter, not sure whether that’s at rb or cb. 

Its good to see we we do have genuine options though. There could of course be others to come in a fit and firing Martin and Thorne would be good. As someone else mentioned an on form Butterfield could also slot into this midfield nicely...

Very good post, I am in agreement with this. especially at the start of this season, when I feel we need the protection of 2 holding midfielders. Also this formation gives our fullbacks more licence to bomb forward.

Maybe later in the season when they hopefully all build relationships and confidence in each other positionally then in some games we change to 1 holding.

Thorne was carrying weight last year. He has shed that now - and reports from the U23 game regarding his form were encouraging. I for one would welcome that trend continuing and him forcing his way into the 11, or him going out on loan for 6 months and coming back the old George we all know and love. I believe he has that in him.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I would pick Tom when he is over the groin problem. Certainly lovely to watch and better than Ledley.

As for the Leeds game, in the first half it was the defence that were isolated as Ledley was often caught upfield or easily bypassed.

In the second half we used Johnson to close that gap but then Waghorn got isolated and we ceased to exist as an attacking force.

Agreed.

Your second sentence reaffirms my point. Per haps if we played 2 CDMs, mobility becomes more important to assist transition. I know Bryson was trying to rotate a little but that clearly did not work.

On your third point, Leeds were so dominant after they got the third. They pressed us back all the time. We were getting battered all over. Our whole team sank further and further back.

19 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Agreed.

Your second sentence reaffirms my point. Per haps if we played 2 CDMs, mobility becomes more important to assist transition. I know Bryson was trying to rotate a little but that clearly did not work.

On your third point, Leeds were so dominant after they got the third. They pressed us back all the time. We were getting battered all over. Our whole team sank further and further back.

Agreed. 

Perhaps a more all round CM with greater defensive skills than Bryson may help so we can switch between 433 and 4231 as the game/opposition suits.

Carson

Tomori.   Wisdom.    Davies.     Malone.

Huddlestone.  Bryson/Evans.

Wilson.       Mount.    Lawrence.

Waghorn.

Roos, Keogh, Jozefzoon, Marriott, Bennett, a defender, Bryson/Evans

Could play Keogh instead of Wisdom but think Wisdom deserves a chance at centre half which I think is his preferred position? Evans or Bryson depends on the opposition and how attacking we want to be.

Archived