Podcasts

Dubiousmagoo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The DET do a podcast as well. For all the gripes about the telegraphs website and stories, Nicholson is good.

Nicholson’s football insight is underrated by many because of the click bait articles. Wish he’d focus on the more long form stuff because he deserves more respect than he gets 

21 minutes ago, David said:

giphy.gif

I for one genuinely enjoyed listening to it. It was welcome company on my daily commute to the dodgy end of the A52. I'd very much like for you to bring it back, if only to find out what happened to your digestive system... Out of interest, is there any particular reason why you stopped doing it @David?

1 hour ago, DerbyPride said:

I for one genuinely enjoyed listening to it. It was welcome company on my daily commute to the dodgy end of the A52. I'd very much like for you to bring it back, if only to find out what happened to your digestive system... Out of interest, is there any particular reason why you stopped doing it @David?

As you will have heard on the Podcast, my health wasn't great at the time, both Scott and Alex had 9 to 5 jobs and with other commitments meant we had to record late, 10pm, some weeks running even later. When you're not feeling great, the last thing you want to be is up at that time trying to put on a show, especially having spent the day reading about football, I just wanted to switch off.

We then ran into some scheduling issues, one couldn't record one night, the other the next due to things going on in their personal lives and it kinda got pushed back and pushed back to the point where we just stopped.

I called an end to it after we hadn't recorded for a while, I had a lot on with the site and still wasn't firing on all cylinders. 

To be honest I wasn't happy with what was being put out compared to other podcasts (SBW were smashing it) and download numbers were not great, I mean they wasn't bad bad, probably on par or not far off the others, just not the numbers to really drive you on.

Going to say it was a month to 6 weeks ago I did talk to Scott and another guy (not Alex) about starting a completely different more lighthearted, less serious Podcast, they are up for it but I'll hold my hands up and say it's my fault it's not moved on any further yet. The thought of sat there for an hour with headphones without the air con or fan on for an hour isn't appealing in this weather. 

There will be a podcast again, just don't want to put a date on it yet, and it won't be weekly thats for sure. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

To be honest I wasn't happy with what was being put out compared to other podcasts (SBW were smashing it) and download numbers were not great, I mean they wasn't bad bad, probably on par or not far off the others, just not the numbers to really drive you on.

I know this won’t change your decision, but I wouldn’t beat yourself up about quality. I really like @Steve Bloomer's Washing (started listening after you stopped yours) and it’s probably more polished than the dcfcfans one, but I much preferred the banter that you, Scott and Alex had to be honest. Not all football podcasts have to be highly intellectual and analytical, as shown by the successes of The Football Ramble and Athletico Mince. Just my thoughts.

14 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I know this won’t change your decision, but I wouldn’t beat yourself up about quality. I really like @Steve Bloomer's Washing (started listening after you stopped yours) and it’s probably more polished than the dcfcfans one, but I much preferred the banter that you, Scott and Alex had to be honest. Not all football podcasts have to be highly intellectual and analytical, as shown by the successes of The Football Ramble and Athletico Mince. Just my thoughts.

Thanks....I think, you saying I'm not intellectual? ? 

Always critical of anything I do, but blows my mind a little when people say they miss it, still get the odd tweet from people asking if it's coming back.

And honestly, never beat myself up over it once so don't worry about that! 

21 minutes ago, David said:

As you will have heard on the Podcast, my health wasn't great at the time, both Scott and Alex had 9 to 5 jobs and with other commitments meant we had to record late, 10pm, some weeks running even later. When you're not feeling great, the last thing you want to be is up at that time trying to put on a show, especially having spent the day reading about football I just wanted to switch off.

We then ran into some scheduling issues, one couldn't record one night, the other the next due to things going on in their personal lives and it kinda got pushed back and pushed back to the point where we just stopped.

I called an end to it after we hadn't recorded for a while, I had a lot on with the site and still wasn't firing on all cylinders. 

Going to say it was a month to 6 weeks ago I did talk to Scott and another guy (not Alex) about starting a completely different more lighthearted, less serious Podcast, they are up for it but I'll hold my hands up and say it's my fault it's not moved on any further yet. The thought of sat there for an hour with headphones without the air con or fan on for an hour isn't appealing in this weather. 

There will be a podcast again, just don't want to put a date on it yet, and it won't be weekly thats for sure. 

Fair play. I understand it must have been a big commitment and I remember you saying on the podcast that scheduling issues were causing problems (not to mention your health issues). Don't put yourself down though with the quality of what was being put out. I for one enjoyed it and judging by the comments on here, many more felt the same. That's the good thing thing about the podcasting format. There are no hard and fast rules about what a podcast should consist of. Fancy theme tunes, musical interludes and heavy editing are not necessarily needed. Some guys sitting around chatting over a couple of beers with minimal editing can work just as well.

I will eagerly await the return of the podcast in whatever form you choose it to take. It will sit nicely alongside SBW, the Derby Telegraph podcast, the new Derby County Blogcast and the lesser spotted Him & Dad. Thank you in advance for all of the effort that you put in.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks....I think, you saying I'm not intellectual? ? 

Always critical of anything I do, but blows my mind a little when people say they miss it, still get the odd tweet from people asking if it's coming back.

And honestly, never beat myself up over it once so don't worry about that! 

Hmm I don’t think you’ll be invited to talk at the University of Oxford about swallowing your tooth somehow.?

Didn’t intend to suggest that you got worried about a lack of quality or anything, but I do think you did yourself a disservice with the earlier post.

I’ll always remember that line from @Alex W in the podcast about the guy doing all the U.K. football grounds - “Colin Murray the cancer denier”.

3 hours ago, DerbyPride said:

Cus he’s a lazy get!

Archived