1968/1969 Division 2 Champions – 50 years on

GuiseleyRam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent this to my dad asking if he remembered any of it. Safe to say he does.

"This was my favourite all-time season supporting Derby, I was 13 / 14 years old and went to every home game with my mates. We were used to seeing Derby finish in the bottom eight of the second division, so this was unbelievable. The Derby-Chelsea 3-1 League Cup win is still the best game and atmosphere I've ever been to.  And, I remember going onto the pitch after we beat Bristol City 5-0 on the final home game.  Brilliant!"

Where has the 50 years gone? I was just 16 yrs old, just left school and about to start an apprenticeship at RR.

Although I'd been going to the BBG since 1962, this was the first time I could afford a season ticket, which was for the Popside, which was just a brilliant place to be on a Saturday afternoon watching, in my opinion, the best team Derby have had in the subsequent 50 years.

Went to every home match as well as several away games, with the game at Blackpool bringing back some good memories, not only the fact we won 3-2, but we were on BBC Match Of The Day for the first time.

Just a great time to be a Rams fan.

Just an unbelievable experience i was 8 at the time and my Dad took me to all the home games, that weren't on a school night.

Even managed to get some away games in.

Apart from the Palace home game and of course the Finale.

The games that stick in my  mind were the Villa, Sheffield United and particularly the Cardiff games at Home.

I think the Cardiff game was the first time we were the featured game on Star Soccer.

Can clearly remember Gladys scoring a rasper in of the post at the Ossie end and the muddy imprint being there for the rest of the season.

I was thinking about this earlier in the closed season and there are lot of similarities from then to now.

A young England legend just staring out in management, the gathering of young talent, the emphasis back on exciting aggressive football.

Um i wonder.

3 hours ago, MK said:

Sent this to my dad asking if he remembered any of it. Safe to say he does.

"This was my favourite all-time season supporting Derby, I was 13 / 14 years old and went to every home game with my mates. We were used to seeing Derby finish in the bottom eight of the second division, so this was unbelievable. The Derby-Chelsea 3-1 League Cup win is still the best game and atmosphere I've ever been to.  And, I remember going onto the pitch after we beat Bristol City 5-0 on the final home game.  Brilliant!"

show your dad this ! the last time he saw it was fifty years ago !! the ball from the game ! given to me by jim walker !

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1513.jpg

jim walker 1.jpg

jim walker 2.jpg

• 3 months later...

I was 20 and just got my first ST in the C Stand that season. It started slowly and I remember going to watch us play Sheffield United in the August and we lost 2-0. Willie Carlin ran the show and weeks later he was signed up by Cloughie    From then onwards everything came together. What a season. What a team. What a time to be a Ram. Be wonderful if it could happen again! 

3 hours ago, Matlock Old Ram said:

I was 20 and just got my first ST in the C Stand that season. It started slowly and I remember going to watch us play Sheffield United in the August and we lost 2-0. Willie Carlin ran the show and weeks later he was signed up by Cloughie    From then onwards everything came together. What a season. What a team. What a time to be a Ram. Be wonderful if it could happen again! 

Agree about Carlin. It all came together when we signed him. 

See my previous post too

Archived