It's too hot

Day

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the heat - feeling the sun on your skin.

I think a lot about whether to move to Mars once it becomes an option, but even on a good day the temperature doesn't rise above 10 degrees, so I would miss times like these. And of course you'll need some serious life extension treatment to be there when people can walk around outside. For now I say make the most of this! You'll be sad when it's gone. 

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Love the heat - feeling the sun on your skin.

I think a lot about whether to move to Mars once it becomes an option, but even on a good day the temperature doesn't rise above 10 degrees, so I would miss times like these. And of course you'll need some serious life extension treatment to be there when people can walk around outside. For now I say make the most of this! You'll be sad when it's gone. 

I would say you might have more concerns than the temperature if you moved to Mars. Be a nightmare to get 4G even with a Pixel 2! 

18 hours ago, David said:

ETA 1am up here, supposed to be a good’un, hope so, needs freshening up a bit.

No storms in my area last night or today (yet). Car was saying 33.5C just now.

Going to knock off a bit early this afternoon and enjoy the weather.

Absolutely lovely. 

Just now, Angry Ram said:

No storms in my area last night or today (yet). Car was saying 33.5C just now.

Going to knock off a bit early this afternoon and enjoy the weather.

Absolutely lovely. 

27c up here, bloody horrible. 

Lightening last night around 11pm, no rain.

Lightening and a few rumbles around 5am, no rain.

Few spits around 9am, seen more come out a South American footballers gob though.

Bloody suns back out and the apps now saying storms arriving at 7pm.

Never trust a weatherman.

1 hour ago, David said:

I would say you might have more concerns than the temperature if you moved to Mars. Be a nightmare to get 4G even with a Pixel 2! 

Am writing a short book on the future at the moment, and the publisher just deleted my section on Interplanetary Internet! Though of course it'll happen. Mahybe not quite central London speeds, mind...

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Am writing a short book on the future at the moment, and the publisher just deleted my section on Interplanetary Internet! Though of course it'll happen. Mahybe not quite central London speeds, mind...

Communication between people on Earth and Mars would take some patience, with a 4 to 20 minute delay at least between every message, depending on the relative orbital positions.  I wonder how far into the future we are talking here....all going well that is.

37 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Communication between people on Earth and Mars would take some patience, with a 4 to 20 minute delay at least between every message, depending on the relative orbital positions.  I wonder how far into the future we are talking here....all going well that is.

Interesting to see how that changes the dating text protocol, even though you’re sat by your phone waiting for them to reply, you’re not supposed to reply back straight away, looking to eager early on can make you look desperate and have no life.

The idea is to make them wait, let them think you’re out there snowboarding or travelling the world, something exciting that meant they have only just had chance to look at your phone.

Don’t wait too long though as they think you’re not interested. It’s a really tricky phase in the early stages of dating, get it wrong and you’re out of there.

Would you reply instantly to allow for the delay, but 4 to 20 minutes is a wide time frame, 4 minutes and you’re looking desperate, 20 not bothered, so do you wait 5 minutes and hope for a 4 minute delay, just under 10 minutes is the middle ground, the acceptable zone.

Then you have to consider the time difference with the rotation of the earth, without looking are we facing Mars in the day, or night?

Do long distance relationships even work, I mean this isn’t a 2 hour trip on the train, we’re talking about a journey that could take years depending on transport options to Mars, with Richard Branson and Vigin involved you can guarantee delays there as well.

A useful website for storms...

https://www.lightningmaps.org

You can set your own location, set map resolution - even gauge how long after the strike you will hear the thunder. Worth having a play with if you are using a laptop (not sure about mobile phone though).

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

A useful website for storms...

https://www.lightningmaps.org

You can set your own location, set map resolution - even gauge how long after the strike you will hear the thunder. Worth having a play with if you are using a laptop (not sure about mobile phone though).

Yeah I was watching that site last night. Works on mobiles.

Also this one is good for seeing where the rain is: https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar  It updates every 5 minutes & you can track the rain back in time, so you can gauge if you're going to get wet or not.

18 minutes ago, David said:

Tracked down the main storm in Fakenham, quick look on Twitter and 

Internet is great.

That one was peaking at about 50 lightning strikes a minute

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

And it's roundabout tonight that I think Mars is closest to us. Well worth checking it out in the southern skies. 

I think humans will land in either 10 or 12 years. Every launch window after that (every two years) will start to see a lot of cargo and people making the journey. The ambitious goal is to have a million people living on Mars before the end of the century.

Archived