It's too hot

Day

23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, I agree @GenBr and it's true we can't stop emitting carbon instantly, but being carbon neutral at least should be the urgent goal. Why are you saying that switching to electric cars won't help (provided the electricity grids are supplied by renewables)?

Yeah fusion is the holy grail right now.

It's not going to help in the sense that it will significantly increase the load on the grid and we won't have the renewable capacity to make it happen. Unlike Norway who generate most of their power from Hydro we are going to need nuclear to supplement our energy production. Wind and solar alone won't be enough - maybe with improvements in storage technology, but it isn't there yet. Personally I think fusion is needed to help our civilisation to push forward to the next level, but solar has seen significant reductions in both cost and significant improvements in efficiencies. If it carries on at the same pace and there are some significant improvements in storage technology who knows - it could make fusion redundant.

In any case the way I see climate change is that it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. Lets just pretend you don't believe in climate change - it would still be the correct approach to switch to cleaner energy sources regardless. Coal plants produce more than just co2 for example - coal ash, etc can contain many heavy metals that can be extremely toxic. Burning of any fossil fuel releases many dangerous gases - not just co2. Less cancer causing materials in the air you breath, less environmental disasters from extraction (although renewables aren't angels for this either) and utilisation of fossil fuels and much cheaper costs in the longer term as technology improves further. Even if climate change wasn't real there would be absolutely no reason to stick with fossil fuels.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Why am I not surprised that you can't be arsed?  As you don't understand climate and our effect on it....you are better off staying out of the discussion. Background reading required I reckon. 

That's not to be too critical I'm equally ignorant on a wide variety of subjects.  It's having some idea of what you know and what you don't know is the key.  Enjoy the fish.

Wayyyyyy over your head. 

Too easy 

31 minutes ago, GenBr said:

In any case the way I see climate change is that it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. Lets just pretend you don't believe in climate change - it would still be the correct approach to switch to cleaner energy sources regardless. Coal plants produce more than just co2 for example - coal ash, etc can contain many heavy metals that can be extremely toxic. Burning of any fossil fuel releases many dangerous gases - not just co2.

You mean everyone's favourite very stable genius wasn't entirely accurate in his 'beautiful clean coal' statement?  I'm shocked. 

You are right, getting rid of fossil fuels would be the right decision regardless of the climate change problem.  You only need to look at the amount of deaths caused by air pollution to realise that. The number is in the millions rather than the thousands according to the WHO.  PM 2.5s are particularly deadly. 

But it seems clear that climate change is upon us and unless we do something urgently positive feedbacks from the natural environment will mean that the nature will start producing CO2 and CH4 at rates that will outstrip even our own GHG emissions.  At that point we are talking about climate change that will be pretty much irreversible.

8 hours ago, David said:

Not sure what it will be like in 2073 but theres a lovely cool breeze blowing through my window this morning, makes you proud to be British it does.

Yeah, ban me again and I’ll put the other window through anorl!

7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Only took a few seconds to catch one... It’s all in the bait.

It's no wonder you are so effective. You just do totally uniformed so convincingly.  How is anyone to know?  Particularly on this subject.

And wishing to appear clueless seems to be a long term project on your part, this is from a Global Warming thread you started yourself last November. 

'Global Warming

Fact or Fiction, A natural cycle or man's ability to muck up what he has?'

'What's happening that hasn't happened before?'

The last sentence being the instantly recognisable calling card of someone who doesn't understand global warming.

On 07/08/2018 at 19:19, Angry Ram said:

Nah, can’t be arsed. Anyway that’s why you are here, otherwise what would be the point.

Just going out for dinner. Might have the fish again..

Why does this not surprise being with you being a larger gentleman?

(ongoing inside joke.)

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

It's no wonder you are so effective. You just do totally uniformed so convincingly.  How is anyone to know?  Particularly on this subject.

And wishing to appear clueless seems to be a long term project on your part, this is from a Global Warming thread you started yourself last November. 

'Global Warming

Fact or Fiction, A natural cycle or man's ability to muck up what he has?'

'What's happening that hasn't happened before?'

The last sentence being the instantly recognisable calling card of someone who doesn't understand global warming.

Thought you were not nibbling?

12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Thought you were not nibbling?

Briefly thought you were merely trolling for a moment, until it became clear that you are quite genuinely uninformed about the subject you were trolling about.  If you do actually want to learn about it and it's why it is undeniably real I can easily point you in the direction of some reading material that will help explain it to you.  No problem at all. Although I suspect you can't be bothered to learn about it. 

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Briefly thought you were merely trolling for a moment, until it became clear that you are quite genuinely uninformed about the subject you were trolling about.  If you do actually want to learn about it and it's why it is undeniably real I can easily point you in the direction of some reading material that will help explain it to you.  No problem at all. Although I suspect you can't be bothered to learn about it. 

Zzzzzz... I’ve put you back in...  swim away.

Archived