New Blood!

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This thread followed a familiar pattern to real life. Everyone offering congratulations followed by a stark reminder that the rest of my life is now to be spent in thrall to an ever increasing set of demands from a child.

The ups outweigh the down tenfold!

My kids are 5 and 8 and a right handful but think they've rearly given me a purpose in life.

I'm currently going through divorce, and a time when it would probably be easy to crumble, knowing that I still have the kids to provide for and look after has basically made the whole process a breeze for me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations - being a Dad is fantastic...most of the time.

I'd echo what @Smyth_18 said. The stuff you are scared about now is actually a sinch. Being responsible for a baby, changing nappies, mopping up vomit, not dropping them on their head etc - all just comes naturally.

What no one is prepared for is not being in control of your own sleep patterns. Without kids you can go out until 2.30 am on a work night and muddle through the next day with coffee and will power. Then you can crawl into bed at 8pm and the next morning everything is back to normal.

If you get a baby that doesn't sleep well, they control when you sleep. You might be up until 2.30 every day for three months and have no way of catching back up. You'll feel like an extra from a zombie movie. It's bloody hard, but you wouldn't change it for the world.

22 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Congratulations - being a Dad is fantastic...most of the time.

I'd echo what @Smyth_18 said. The stuff you are scared about now is actually a sinch. Being responsible for a baby, changing nappies, mopping up vomit, not dropping them on their head etc - all just comes naturally.

What no one is prepared for is not being in control of your own sleep patterns. Without kids you can go out until 2.30 am on a work night and muddle through the next day with coffee and will power. Then you can crawl into bed at 8pm and the next morning everything is back to normal.

If you get a baby that doesn't sleep well, they control when you sleep. You might be up until 2.30 every day for three months and have no way of catching back up. You'll feel like an extra from a zombie movie. It's bloody hard, but you wouldn't change it for the world.

This explains my post in a much more helpful way. I massively underestimated the lack of sleep and it is by far the hardest part of it. (Along with post natal depression for the wife but i won't go into that).

Every day i look at him with absolute amazement. How is it possible for us humans to make something so perfect?

4 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

This explains my post in a much more helpful way. I massively underestimated the lack of sleep and it is by far the hardest part of it.

Definitely this! I had a 2 to 3 year spell of living off 4 or 5 hours sleep. You get used to it though and I actually like the fact that I now no longer tend to stay in bed later than 7am, plenty of time for sleeping when I'm dead! 

Amateurs.

Don’t paint the nursery blue or pink, whilst it might look cutesy for the baby it’s not practical at all.

What you want to do is buy a load of these from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACOUSTIC-TREATMENT-SOUND-PROOFING-TILES/dp/B0045Z94EY

Cover the babies room and your own with them using spray glue, this way when they start to cry you won’t hear them.

The baby will soon realise that when they cry you don’t come for them so it’s pointless, they adapt to your sleep schedule and learn to feed in your time.

On 22/07/2018 at 00:58, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I have found out that I am going to be a father for the first time. Honestly dont know what to do with myself right now, I am so bloody happy.

Another Ram joining the ranks!

?

Two pieces of advice for you and the Mrs - 

1 - Get as much sleep as you can before the bun comes out the oven, as you'll miss it when it does.

2 - When you get up to feed them at night, don't talk to them, or make any noises whatsoever.  If you interact with them, they'll think it's play time and won't want to go back to sleep.

Me and the Mrs found out both of these facts the hard way...

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

2 - When you get up to feed them at night, don't talk to them, or make any noises whatsoever.  If you interact with them, they'll think it's play time and won't want to go back to sleep.

The best advice we ever got was to feed them at 11pm when you go to bed. Don't wake them up, just shove it in their mouth and they start feeding whilst still asleep (I think the mumsnet fascists call it a "dreamfeed" ...)

That way you're pretty much guaranteed 3-4 hours of unbroken sleep - which, in the circumstances is a FLIPPIN GODSEND

PS don't ever look at mumsnet

19 hours ago, David said:

Cover the babies room and your own with them using spray glue, this way when they start to cry you won’t hear them.

The baby will soon realise that when they cry you don’t come for them so it’s pointless, they adapt to your sleep schedule and learn to feed in your time.

Not sure if this is a joke or not - but people do actually do this. I know not how - but they do.

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Not sure if this is a joke or not - but people do actually do this. I know not how - but they do.

If you’re not sure, have a look around The Pub, browse a few topics and come back and take another look.

Archived