Sonos Beam.

Rev

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/07/2018 at 21:43, reveldevil said:

Quick review.

Bought one to replace a 5.1 set up, and it's really not far off a complete replacement.

Awesome sound, true soundscape left to right, evidenced by watching Dunkirk in UHD, just lacking the depth provided by true surround sound, however can be paired with other Sonos speakers to provide that.

Wouldn't bother with the sub, plenty of ommph from the bar itself, if anyone is looking for a hi/fi replacement, or to get more from an existing TV I'd say it's very good bang for your buck.

This was one of your better suggestions.

I had a Bose Solo 5 which I thought sounded great at the time but I had to mess around by turning the TV volume down with the TV remote, and then use the Bose remote for the sound bar, in the end never used it as it became a pain in the arse. Went through all the remote codes and none would work with it properly so got rid on eBay and been using the TV speakers for a while now.

I have 2 Homepods, bought the upstairs one down the other week and set them up in stereo mode with Apple TV, worked great although perhaps a little bass heavy at times and theres no way of hooking them up to the TV itself. Shouldn't have done it really as it ruined me as the TV speakers sounded useless in comparison after getting used to them again.

Enter the Sonos Beam, was a bit worried as reviews all say it's lacking in bass and you need that stupidly expensive large sub, well, I don't agree. Has plenty of welly for the size of it, our living room is maybe 8ft by 12ft and it sounds great, cranked it up on the app EQ a bit, anymore and the neighbours would be knocking on the wall.

Some programmes I forget the sound is coming from the bar, then all of a sudden that boom kicks in with music which can be a bit weird, the Bose bar everything was booming even the news, but with true sound it really cleans up the speech but gives you that welly when you need it. Also when you turn the volume down it adjusts the bass levels right down, can have it on super low at night yet still super clear speech.

Love how it runs through HDMI ARC connection, no extra remotes or anything, perfect.

Might let you off ruining Saturday's match day topic now.

1 hour ago, David said:

This was one of your better suggestions.

I had a Bose Solo 5 which I thought sounded great at the time but I had to mess around by turning the TV volume down with the TV remote, and then use the Bose remote for the sound bar, in the end never used it as it became a pain in the arse. Went through all the remote codes and none would work with it properly so got rid on eBay and been using the TV speakers for a while now.

I have 2 Homepods, bought the upstairs one down the other week and set them up in stereo mode with Apple TV, worked great although perhaps a little bass heavy at times and theres no way of hooking them up to the TV itself. Shouldn't have done it really as it ruined me as the TV speakers sounded useless in comparison after getting used to them again.

Enter the Sonos Beam, was a bit worried as reviews all say it's lacking in bass and you need that stupidly expensive large sub, well, I don't agree. Has plenty of welly for the size of it, our living room is maybe 8ft by 12ft and it sounds great, cranked it up on the app EQ a bit, anymore and the neighbours would be knocking on the wall.

Some programmes I forget the sound is coming from the bar, then all of a sudden that boom kicks in with music which can be a bit weird, the Bose bar everything was booming even the news, but with true sound it really cleans up the speech but gives you that welly when you need it. Also when you turn the volume down it adjusts the bass levels right down, can have it on super low at night yet still super clear speech.

Love how it runs through HDMI ARC connection, no extra remotes or anything, perfect.

Might let you off ruining Saturday's match day topic now.

Add the surrounds, £300 more and it's worth every penny.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Add the surrounds, £300 more and it's worth every penny.

Missus will kill me, to be honest I've never been into that surround setup where you have speakers behind you either side of the sofa. I don't mind it all coming from the front and the rooms small to the point it would be wasted

On 18/09/2018 at 21:17, David said:

Missus will kill me, to be honest I've never been into that surround setup where you have speakers behind you either side of the sofa. I don't mind it all coming from the front and the rooms small to the point it would be wasted

If you ever find out the voice command to return to TV sound after playing music, let me know.

Have to switch the whole thing off to do it at the moment.

38 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If you ever find out the voice command to return to TV sound after playing music, let me know.

Have to switch the whole thing off to do it at the moment.

I haven’t activated Alexa on ours, use Siri instead

3 hours ago, David said:

I haven’t activated Alexa on ours, use Siri instead

I have Alexa activated on my Sonos beam and she works just fine BUT when I try playing Spotify through it then it is rubbish...it plays the song for maybe 45 seconds and then skips to the next song and I get a message saying the connection is lost... frustrating as hell.

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I have Alexa activated on my Sonos beam and she works just fine BUT when I try playing Spotify through it then it is rubbish...it plays the song for maybe 45 seconds and then skips to the next song and I get a message saying the connection is lost... frustrating as hell.

Maybe she doesn’t want to listen to the Spice Girls, try something different 

I bought a Sky soundbox, (made by French hifi co whose name I forget). amazing sound without a sub good base anyway. Fake 5.1 not perfect but to be honest with my room set up don't need it. Has optical input from Blu ray and I got it to work from my x-10 sound system via wifi. (Not sure how, just lots of fiddling with stuff till it worked!)

37 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I bought a Sky soundbox, (made by French hifi co whose name I forget). amazing sound without a sub good base anyway. Fake 5.1 not perfect but to be honest with my room set up don't need it. Has optical input from Blu ray and I got it to work from my x-10 sound system via wifi. (Not sure how, just lots of fiddling with stuff till it worked!)

they offered me a deal on this, but I have a Sony Soundstage and couldn't  determine if the Sky soundbox would be any better.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:34, Moist One said:

they offered me a deal on this, but I have a Sony Soundstage and couldn't  determine if the Sky soundbox would be any better.

Never heard the sound stage so can't comment on that. The sound box is shaped like a box rather than a bar but I have it well disguised. 

One feature is the sky Q auto equaliser that works really well for speech enhancement and for Footy the commentators are much clearer over the crowd noise (if any) than before. The bass is really good without being over powering. Probably due to the weight of the thing.

Archived