Sonos Beam.

Rev

Quick review.

Bought one to replace a 5.1 set up, and it's really not far off a complete replacement.

Awesome sound, true soundscape left to right, evidenced by watching Dunkirk in UHD, just lacking the depth provided by true surround sound, however can be paired with other Sonos speakers to provide that.

Wouldn't bother with the sub, plenty of ommph from the bar itself, if anyone is looking for a hi/fi replacement, or to get more from an existing TV I'd say it's very good bang for your buck.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Had the 7.2 set up for the last 20 years, still sounds as good as the day I first fired it up.

Go get a sub, or two. Nothing better to channel low frequency effects.

I've still got the sub from the existing system, so may play around and see if I can get both working in sync.

The Sonos sub is a stupid price, so can't see me going down that route, but as a dual purpose soundbar I'm very impressed with the Beam.

15 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Quick review.

Bought one to replace a 5.1 set up, and it's really not far off a complete replacement.

Awesome sound, true soundscape left to right, evidenced by watching Dunkirk in UHD, just lacking the depth provided by true surround sound, however can be paired with other Sonos speakers to provide that.

Wouldn't bother with the sub, plenty of ommph from the bar itself, if anyone is looking for a hi/fi replacement, or to get more from an existing TV I'd say it's very good bang for your buck.

do you not miss the rear speakers?  I remember watching the Others when the door open behind me!  Does the beam really achieve that complete surround sound experience?  Still have my Sony DAV-S800, 16 years old still beautiful still stunning, trouble is DVD player is not what it was.  With marble floors I have to tone down the sub so that it doesn't dance around? but boy does it create a noise with no carpets to dampen it

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

do you not miss the rear speakers?  I remember watching the Others when the door open behind me!  Does the beam really achieve that complete surround sound experience?  Still have my Sony DAV-S800, 16 years old still beautiful still stunning, trouble is DVD player is not what it was.  With marble floors I have to tone down the sub so that it doesn't dance around? but boy does it create a noise with no carpets to dampen it

Not surround sound no, the sound is all in front of you but it does a good job of coming in from the sides, if that makes sense. 

It can be used with a pair of Sonos speakers behind to create surround effect, but my front rooms not really big enough to move the sofa far enough forward to make it worthwhile.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Not surround sound no, the sound is all in front of you but it does a good job of coming in from the sides, if that makes sense. 

It can be used with a pair of Sonos speakers behind to create surround effect, but my front rooms not really big enough to move the sofa far enough forward to make it worthwhile.

ok thanks.  I know at some stage I will need to move on just not convinced that we are seeing any massive improvements.  Like you I guess first time i experience 5.1 well it was an epiphany (that is the posh word for wetting myself isn't it)!

On 17/07/2018 at 21:43, reveldevil said:

Quick review.

Oooo,I’m interested in this but I’m pissed I’ve spent 2 weeks in and out of hospital? and I have no idea what’s going on.

But I need some good a/v equipment.

8 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Oooo,I’m interested in this but I’m pissed I’ve spent 2 weeks in and out of hospital? and I have no idea what’s going on.

Hope you’re okay mate, go into richer Sounds, you can try everything before you buy.

On 17/07/2018 at 21:43, reveldevil said:

Quick review.

Looking at £700 ish though by time you’ve paired it with a couple of Sonos, that’s bloody expensive. 

Could pick up 2 Apple Homepods for that, set then up in stereo mode and away you go ?

24 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

If you're looking for a good all rounder, that can replace an all in one hi-fi while supplementing your existing TV's sound, I couldn't fault it, especially if you want  to use it across multiple platforms ie Apple, Amazon and even Google.

If you already have both a decent hi-fi set up, and a decent surround sound set up on the TV, it's not worth changing, but if you don't it's a worthwhile addition.

Archived