Vitamins/Supplements

AmericanRam

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno - my grandma was a big advocate of supplements, used to take a whole shelf full of stuff daily

She lived till she was into her mid-90s, but sadly her mind gave out long before her body and she spent the last 10 years of her life not knowing who any of us were, and had pretty much zero quality of life

I guess there is a lesson there somewhere - not sure what it is

6 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Indeed. I recommend a beer in each hand.

On the scales for me tonight.

If I have lost 7 pounds in the last week, then I will allow myself one beer.

Sith Happens

Unless you have a particular deficency then only recommendation i have is vitamin c, get about 4000 mg a day.

Which is the sunshine vitamin? D is it? That’s good in winter I’m told.

ive been asked to attend a Herbalife launch locally, weight loss and all that in a tablet.

fook that. Eat less, drink less beer, drink more water, and exercise. That’s my new mantra.

I get that seasonal affective disorder thingy. @David once recommended taking Vitamin D for just generally helping mood.

I dunno if it just tricks the mind, you know because it's sort of you taking a positive step to help change your mindset, or if it actually helps. But it helped a bit. Along with other balls.

I take them all year round now. It feels a good thing to do. So if it feels like it helps then surely it helps? Oui? Non?

,Read recently that folic acid is the only supplement that is of any benefit when taken by someone already eating a balanced diet. All other viamins don't get processed by the digestive system and just get past through the body.

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

,Read recently that folic acid is the only supplement that is of any benefit when taken by someone already eating a balanced diet. All other viamins don't get processed by the digestive system and just get past through the body.

If that’s true then there’s a lot of money being wasted by these heathy living guys and gals.

Taking vitamins is a bit like an iPhone, you might only need a 32gb but go and buy the 256gb. 224gb goes to waste, you still use the 32gb.

Your body will use what it needs then flush the rest away, too much Vitamin B gives you glow in the dark piss. Some supplements are double, even triple the RDA, not sure what the point is exactly. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Taking vitamins is a bit like an iPhone, you might only need a 32gb but go and buy the 256gb. 224gb goes to waste, you still use the 32gb.

Your body will use what it needs then flush the rest away, too much Vitamin B gives you glow in the dark piss. Some supplements are double, even triple the RDA, not sure what the point is exactly. 

David knows what he’s on about.

He rattles when he walks.

Just now, Boycie said:

David knows what he’s on about.

He rattles when he walks.

Stopped taking them now, last time I did me false tooth went down the hatch. So much for trying to be healthy. 

Grab vitamin D from the sun now, soon as it pops out to say hello I whip on a vest and g string then head out into the garden.

Just now, David said:

Stopped taking them now, last time I did me false tooth went down the hatch. So much for trying to be healthy. 

Grab vitamin D from the sun now, soon as it pops out to say hello I whip on a vest and g string then head out into the garden.

Omg, I need to stick my fingers in a socket to get that thought out my head now!

As Eddie & others have alluded to a balanced diet should remove the need for added supplements for most people.

But I'd just add that the fresher your fruit & veg the more vitamins your going to get, from the moment it's picked, it starts to lose its goodness....time from field/tree/bush etc to fork is key to what you'll get out of your greens/fruit.

How you cook them is also important, boilings & over cooking isn't great, steaming & roasting might be better. Some are better for you raw some like tomatoes are far better for you cooked.

Dont buy ready cut veg etc as again this effects their vitamin structures, buy it intact & cut at the last minute...avoid peeling if possible.

Look at what veg, fruits etc can do for you, as different veg/fruits have different health benefits. Do the same with other foods.

Grow your own if you can, & harvest as needed  (allotments are cheap & growing/raising your own food is good exercise, plus it puts you in contact with nature), eat seasonal goods...use farmers markets if possible, yes they can be more expensive but the quality should more than compensate for this.  If freezing always blanch your veg as this slows down its deterioration, aim to freeze asap.

I won't bore you further with meats, eggs etc....but I believe what you put into your body, good exercise, & stimulation of the mind are really important to how you feel.

Archived