Snake City watch

Zag zig

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/11/2018 at 19:57, G STAR RAM said:

No its not.

That's just something that snowflakes will apply to it to give themselves something else to be offended about.

How many people of this day and age look at the Union Jack and associate it with imperialism? Most people don't even know what the word means never mind associate it with the flag!

It always makes me laugh when people are labelled snowflakes when they find something offensive. 

If their is a justifiable reason for them and people who share traits/experiences with them to be offended then is it really the place of people who don’t share such traits to just shoot off some lazy label? 

It would be like me turning around and saying everybody who is annually offended by Poppygate is a snowflake…

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Strange that they’d warn him for possibly the only sensible thing he’s ever done. 

It seems that the irony of being 'investigated' for this comment is not lost on McClean, who has abuse shouted at him every time he plays. 

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

It seems that the irony of being 'investigated' for this comment is not lost on McClean, who has abuse shouted at him every time he plays. 

It won't be long before the wearing of a poppy becomes compulsory.

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

McClean warned by the FA for calling Stoke fans 'cavemen'.

Don't think it was the cavemen comment was it? A c word used but not cavemen.

Don't see what's wrong with cockwomble myself mind.

7 hours ago, cannable said:

It always makes me laugh when people are labelled snowflakes when they find something offensive. 

If their is a justifiable reason for them and people who share traits/experiences with them to be offended then is it really the place of people who don’t share such traits to just shoot off some lazy label? 

It would be like me turning around and saying everybody who is annually offended by Poppygate is a snowflake…

A justifiable reason for finding a flag offensive? Sums up the state of this country for me. 

I'm not even slightly offended by what McClean does, I just hate his hypocrisy. 

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A justifiable reason for finding a flag offensive? Sums up the state of this country for me. 

I can understand the poppy objection. Lots of the funds raised go towards veterans charities and it's quite reasonable that people like McClean and Matic wouldn't want to contribute to people who'd committed attacks against their respective communities. I do, however, find it amusing that James McClean, a person who can't even bring himself to look at a flag, is quite happy to live and work in the nation he so reviles and accept money emblazoned with the mug of the military's commander in chief. I guess everybody has their price.

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't see any hypocrisy at all. He's from Derry. Fourteen of his fellow citizens were murdered in cold blood by the British Army. Why on earth should he be expected to join in with a commemoration of the British Forces, especially since that event has become highly politicised by right wing idiots, using faux patriotism to push their agenda. 

He plays football in England. So what? All that means is that he doesn't tar everybody in this country with the brush of militarism, only those institutions responsible for committing the crimes which led to the death of his compatriots. 

It seems to me that you clearly are offended; offended by someone for not sharing your view, and for having the courage to say so publicly, and refusing to be silenced by a constant barrage of abuse as he goes about his fulfilling his career. 

It's a game of football. Why are we even expecting footballers to join in with a military pageant in the first place? That says more to me about the state of our country than anything McClean says or does. 

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

I don't see any hypocrisy at all. He's from Derry. Fourteen of his fellow citizens were murdered in cold blood by the British Army. Why on earth should he be expected to join in with a commemoration of the British Forces, especially since that event has become highly politicised by right wing idiots, using faux patriotism to push their agenda. 

He plays football in England. So what? All that means is that he doesn't tar everybody in this country with the brush of militarism, only those institutions responsible for committing the crimes which led to the death of his compatriots. 

It seems to me that you clearly are offended; offended by someone for not sharing your view, and for having the courage to say so publicly, and refusing to be silenced by a constant barrage of abuse as he goes about his fulfilling his career. 

It's a game of football. Why are we even expecting footballers to join in with a military pageant in the first place? That says more to me about the state of our country than anything McClean says or does. 

The thing is that the real problems are between the two resident communities. He champions the IRA who have committed some appaulling atrocities against civilians and thereafter its impossible to claim the moral high ground. 

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

It's not a military pageant, it's a symbol of rememberance linked to World War 1.

The 'fellow citizens' were murdered 17 years before he was even born.

Does he turn his back on the flags of countries that fought against the Allies in the World Wars?

I fully respect his right not to wear the poppy and to turn his back on the British flag, if he's really that passionate about the issue. I also respect people's right to point to out his hypocrisy and belief that he's a disrespectful twit for doing so.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The thing is that the real problems are between the two resident communities.

That isn't true though, historically. The problems stem from the way the Catholic community were treated by the British government.

I'd happily discuss it with you, but I expect that is verboten, since we can't even mention homelessness. 

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

That isn't true though, historically. The problems stem from the way the Catholic community were treated by the British government.

I'd happily discuss it with you, but I expect that is verboten, since we can't even mention homelessness. 

Maybe if people try and move on from what happened historically we would not even need to be discussing it...

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe if people try and move on from what happened historically we would not even need to be discussing it...

Rather an ironic comment in the context of Remembrance Day.

Have we not 'moved on' from World War One yet...

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I believe so, Ive been to a few England v Germany matches and didn't feel the need to turn my back on the German flag.

The difference being that we've been at peace with Germany for over 70 years, whereas the situation in Ireland still isn't resolved and they're still facing the prospect of direct rule. 

5 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

The difference being that we've been at peace with Germany for over 70 years, whereas the situation in Ireland still isn't resolved and they're still facing the prospect of direct rule. 

I thought his protest was related to the death of innocent civilians 17 years before he was born? At least that's the official line he put out.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought his protest was related to the death of innocent civilians 17 years before he was born? At least that's the official line he put out.

You're the one who's saying the situation's in the past so he should get over it. That event might be in the past, although probably still in living memory of family members, but the situation is ongoing. It's not really for you to judge how someone like McClean should feel about it. 

Archived