World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Thought the whole group was poor, South Korea were the weakest on paper so I could understand them sitting back at times, Mexico remind me of a GR team and with the players they have it’s such a waste seeing them play on the counter.  Germany for all their faults, had enough chances to win all three games, Sweden the worst of the lot for me, boring.  

Not uohappy through at who has gone out though ?

Germany were always going to dominate possession, so Mexico had to play counterattacking football, and it played into their hands having four quick and mobile forward players. With better finishing, they could have won 3-0.

A GR team doesn't have mobile midfielders who press. Guardado and Herrera are the complete opposite, and they press like mad. I don't really get that comparison, but in terms of system, well it is 4-2-3-1.

Against South Korea, Mexico dominated possession until they went 1-0 up. From then on, they countered and deservedly scored as second.

You have to utilise what you have, Mexico are midgets, let's be honest, they barely have a player above 6 ft. So why would they seek to dominate the ball, allowing the opposition to just sit back, and then come unstuck. They dominated the ball against Sweden, but it was utterly pointless because Sweden won everything in the air. Mexico never looked like scoring from a cross, therefore their only hope was to catch Sweden on the counter - hard to do against a team who has no interst playing out from the back. They just lumped it forward and picks up the knockdowns, which was smart on their part.

Mexico play better against teams who try to play through them. They can then counter at such pace. South Korea and Germany tried to play through them and were punished on the counter. Brazil will try to play through them too.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Ozil is just invisible in big games. The most overrated player I've ever seen in my life. Doesn't work hard, and doesn't show up when he's needed. 

Nope, he created 7 clear chances in the game according to squarka which was more than any other player in the World Cup which suggests that the finishing was the main problem, not Ozil

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Nope, he created 7 clear chances in the game according to squarka which was more than any other player in the World Cup which suggests that the finishing was the main problem, not Ozil

Don't care what the stats say. I watched him play. He was naff. He didn't show for the ball, and when his team needed him to step up he wasn't there to deliver. Quote stats at me all day, I prefer to judge by watching, and he looked really shocking today, and in the first game too.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Don't care what the stats say. I watched him play. He was naff. He didn't show for the ball, and when his team needed him to step up he wasn't there to deliver. Quote stats at me all day, I prefer to judge by watching, and he looked really shocking today, and in the first game too.

The stats suggest that he wasn’t as bad as you suggest though. Ozil’s job in the Germany team is to create, which he did. It’s not his fault that Hummels and Werner couldn’t finish clear-cut chances.

Muller,Werner, Goretzka, Reus and Khedira were far worse. Ozil is an easy scapegoat because he doesn’t run around but that’s not his game. Ozil’s been the heartbeat of the Germany team ever since he set the 2010 World Cup alight,  it’s not surprising to me that since Ozil has declined, Germany have declined.

I think it's a bit dramatic to suggest it's the end of an era for Germany.

The talent pool is still there but they just need a new coach to freshen things up.

Low has been the coach for 12 years and overseen six major tournaments. That's a long time in international football.

But a new coach coming in could have a revitalising effect. For me, I would look at the next crop - the likes of ter Stegen, Sule, Kimmich, Goretzka, Draxler, Sane, Brandt and Werner - and think I still have plenty to work with here.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The stats suggest that he wasn’t as bad as you suggest though. Ozil’s job in the Germany team is to create, which he did. It’s not his fault that Hummels and Werner couldn’t finish clear-cut chances.

Muller,Werner, Goretzka, Reus and Khedira were far worse. Ozil is an easy scapegoat because he doesn’t run around but that’s not his game. Ozil’s been the heartbeat of the Germany team ever since he set the 2010 World Cup alight,  it’s not surprising to me that since Ozil has declined, Germany have declined.

Germany in general have trouble upfront, and have for a while. Werner isn't good enough at the moment. He might get there, but Germany lack a world class striker and a world class holding midfielder. They really struggle in those positions, and it has shown this world cup. Not good enough.

43 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I’m still getting my head around it, Germany, the World Cup champions, are out of the World Cup!

I never thought I’d see the decline and collapse of German football, whilst English football is going from strength to strength. I knew that German football was in a bad place, but I didn’t realise it was this bad. My prediction of them reaching at least the semis looks silly now. I don’t expect Germany to be contenders for at least another 10 years because the Bundesliga is the poorest I’ve ever seen it. Bayern soaking up the best talent has had a detrimental effect on the whole league and now on the national team.

England should take advantage of this and see it as an opportunity to dominate international football like Spain did from 08-12. Only England and France have conveyer belt after conveyer belt of good young players coming through, whilst the other international teams seem to be stagnating and/or relying on players past their peak.

Very exciting times to be an England or French supporter witnessing other international sides’ standards dropping, whilst both nations have very talented players coming through.

Alright, own up.

Who's hacked @McLovin's account?

Looking back, I’m not even sure that Germany were even that good when they won the World Cup. They were lucky against Ghana and USA in the group stages. They would have lost to Algeria but for a performance by Neuer that will go down in history as one of the best goalkeeping displays ever. The game against France was even and could have gone either way, which was ultimately decided on a set piece. They should have lost against Argentina in the final but Higuain missed a sitter that anyone on this forum would have scored.

They were memorable for the 7-1 against Brazil but to be frank, Brazil absolutely collapsed mentally and any half competent international side would have taken advantage of that and tore them apart.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The southgate revolution has turned me ?

It's bloody lovely to see England play with such a lack of fear, and a clear plan in place, for which the credit has to go to Southgate.

Imagine if 'pint of wine' Big Sam was still in charge, we'd have seen Rooney sweating his tits off feeding off scraps, a half fit Jack Wilshire limping through games, and Jermaine Defoe warming up after half time.

Our tournament would be finishing tomorrow, not just kicking into gear.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

It's bloody lovely to see England play with such a lack of fear, and a clear plan in place, for which the credit has to go to Southgate.

Imagine if 'pint of wine' Big Sam was still in charge, we'd have seen Rooney sweating his tits off feeding off scraps, a half fit Jack Wilshire limping through games, and Jermaine Defoe warming up after half time.

That’s all I want to see from both Derby and England. To play attacking football, with lots of intensity and energy, that’s all I ask for, which is what made me so frustrated with Rowett because he did the total opposite. Lampard and Morris appear to be indicating that they want to play attacking football which is encouraging.

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Lots of players comfortable on the ball packed to keep the ball, wide centre-halves who can get forward, proper #10s playing as #8s but in a system that allows this… beautiful ?

5 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Technology confirming ze German's to their doom. Brilliant stuff. Justice for our Frank's goal 8 years ago ?

Even though apparently it wasn't a goal! VAR is an improvement if it ensures that definite 'goals' are always given IMO.

21 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That’s all I want to see from both Derby and England. To play attacking football, with lots of intensity and energy, that’s all I ask for, which is what made me so frustrated with Rowett because he did the total opposite. Lampard and Morris appear to be indicating that they want to play attacking football which is encouraging.

Progress, that's what Southgate has bought.

I don't see us winning this World Cup, but just to see signs we're moving towards being able to win it sometime in the future is enough for now, and enjoying the performances for what they are, rather than being overly fussed about results will do for me.

Same with Frank and Derby, a discernable style of play emerging, hopefully attractive and exciting, far overrides a desire to see us at the top of the table come what may.

If you get performances right, results will inevitably follow.

Snake achieved the results somehow, but it was always a house built on sand, and crumbled as soon as put under moderate pressure.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Progress, that's what Southgate has bought.

I don't see us winning this World Cup, but just to see signs we're moving towards being able to win it sometime in the future is enough for now, and enjoying the performances for what they are, rather than being overly fussed about results will do for me.

Same with Frank and Derby, a discernable style of play emerging, hopefully attractive and exciting, far overrides a desire to see us at the top of the table come what may.

If you get performances right, results will inevitably follow.

Snake achieved the results somehow, but it was always a house built on sand, and crumbled as soon as put under moderate pressure.

Serious question... Who do you see winning it?

Best teams I have seen so far Croatia, Belgium and England. France, Brazil, Spain have all been disappointing. 

I think this World Cup is the most open I have ever seen... It really is there for anyone to win who can get some momentum and belief together. 

Just now, therealhantsram said:

Best teams I have seen so far Croatia, Belgium and England. France, Brazil, Spain have all been disappointing. 

I think this World Cup is the most open I have ever seen... It really is there for anyone to win who can get some momentum and belief together. 

Momentum is key, and also a lot depends on how well teams play against the better teams.

Croatia have looked really good, but how would they fair against a technical side? So far, we don't really know. Argentina were dire against them, and looked really slow.

Belgium and England, while looking great against weak teams... We just don't know how they'll fare up against a supposed stronger side like France or Brazil.

At the 2014 World Cup, Holland looked fabulous in the groups but really bad in the knockout rounds. Germany didn't look too great at some stage and then suddenly came to life late in the tournament.

Of all the teams here, I honestly think Brazil look the most complete. 

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

Gun to the head, France.

Topped their group without really getting going, should surely get better.

Years of England watching has taught me to pour cold water on our hopes for as long as possible.

Even though the earworm of 'Back Home' is on a constant loop through my daily thoughts!

Archived