World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refs are, on the whole, being very conservative with their yellow cards, it seems. I quite like that.

I also enjoy that all the pundits, the same pundits who've been complaining about how "everythings a yellow" since they stopped playing and how ridiculous it all is - are now complaining that every foul is not being yellow carded.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I know it’s unlikely, but it’s interesting how Germany, Portugal, Argentina and Brazil are all just one defeat away from going home in the group stages.

It shows that the other teams whilst still lacking the quality players have become really solid and hard to beat at the back, and it gives them a really good base to play against the more technically gifted countries.

Brilliant cross from Tadic to the back post where Mitrovic is wrestled to the ground by Lichtsteiner and Schaer. Both had their arms wrapped around him as he went up to win the header and grappled him to the ground. That was a stonebonker of a penalty. They double-teamed him and yet the VAR bottles it and the referee ignores it. 

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Brilliant cross from Tadic to the back post where Mitrovic is wrestled to the ground by Lichtsteiner and Schaer. Both had their arms wrapped around him as he went up to win the header and grappled him to the ground. That was a stonebonker of a penalty. They double-teamed him and yet the VAR bottles it and the referee ignores it. 

You’re incorrect regarding VAR in this instance, referee already gave a free kick other way. 

Well done Switzerland, got back into it well, didn’t need to Milka the celebrations though, they could have been more Dignitas about it. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Refs are, on the whole, being very conservative with their yellow cards, it seems. I quite like that.

I also enjoy that all the pundits, the same pundits who've been complaining about how "everythings a yellow" since they stopped playing and how ridiculous it all is - are now complaining that every foul is not being yellow carded.

Thank you Saint, I’m not the only one who clocked this then. Think it was Waddle who whinged about poor refs (or Butcher) the other day. I think refs have been very good this time round and considering some of the acting still taking place

13 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

In your opinion. Serbia were denied a stonewall penalty even when VAR exists and it's potentially knocked them out of the tournament, not good enough.

Errrr? Read my reply again, not saying the ref was right, far from it..... They couldn’t review it as referee already gave a free kick as he though foul was other way, even if I do disagree..... not my opinion at all. I’m sorry, but if you let a striker run free 1 on 1 from the halfway line in the last minute, then the team have no one else to blame than themselves, not the officials...... but that’s the easy way out of course..... not good enough defending I’d say 

13 hours ago, 86 points said:

WTF is Shaquiri doing at Stoke? Please tell me he won't be there this year. Tricky little ducker could win the league on his own.

#differentgravy

Said himself that he is interested in getting back to Champions League. I'm pretty sure he won't be in Championship when the season starts.

22 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Cmon Tunisia. Take Belgium out with some more wrestling grapples this afternoon!

No! I’ve just realised a horrible scenario could still potentially unfold. 

Tunisia beat Belgium. And we beat Panama. Seems like a brilliant round of games all round. 

But if my maths are correct, that would mean that Tunisia just have to beat Panama, and if we loose to Belgium in the final game, we could miss out on second to Tunisia on goal difference. 

So we could be in a position where we’ve won our first two games well, we could narrowly loose to Belgium, and there’s no shame in that, and we could still go out in the group stages. 

Unless we absolutely hammer Panama. 

Best result for us is a draw. Then the maximum Tunisia can get is 4 pts, so if we beat Panama, we’ve qualified, and we go into the game against Belgium knowing that a draw will see us too the group. 

18 hours ago, ramit said:

Iceland manager must take the blame for this result, playing 442 in that heat against a 5 man Nigeria midfield was suicidal and he didn't change anything when it was clear what the problem was.  Well played Nigeria, they did their part well.  Our only hope now is a fleeting one, Nigeria and Argentina to draw 0-0 and while we beat Croatia 2-0

All you need to do is beat Croatia ( and who knows what sort of team they will put out) and hope Argentina beat Nigeria.  Then it would come down to goal difference between Iceland and Argentina, and as it stands Iceland are -2 and Argentina are -3. Getting out of the group is still a possibility. 

19 minutes ago, Highgate said:

All you need to do is beat Croatia ( and who knows what sort of team they will put out) and hope Argentina beat Nigeria.  Then it would come down to goal difference between Iceland and Argentina, and as it stands Iceland are -2 and Argentina are -3. Getting out of the group is still a possibility. 

You are right and thank you, but i doubt it will happen.  Heimir Hallgrímsson should go back to dentistry full time after yesterday, the team deserve better i think.  Wouldn't even own up to making tactical mistakes in the game, glaring tactical mistakes, mind.

Archived