World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

I don't think Croatia are a particularly great side. Like England they have definitely benefitted from the draw. Considering that this is the watermark for their 'golden generation', they were hard pushed to make it past an England side still in transition.

That being said, you can only beat what's in front of you. And even though we may have beat less than stellar teams to get to the SF, two years ago we got our ar$es handed to us by Iceland. I'll take that improvement. 

Important thing now is that the talent in the underage teams, particularly the U17s and U20s, manage to find competitive game time  for their clubs, or on loan, so that they can start pushing for places.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Top 3 performers for England this tournament for me 

1) Trippier

2) Pickford

3) Sterling

Stones, Henderson , Young and Maguire close behind.

Seems ridiculous to say because kane’s most likely going to win the golden boot but I don’t think he was that good this tournament in terms of his general play.

Actually, there weren’t any players who can come back disgraced, they can all come back very proud of themselves as there weren’t any particularly bad performers.

Agree with Pickford and Trippier, wouldn't you put Maguire ahead of Sterling though? If you judge attackers by their numbers, Sterling didn't actually do much, whereas we looked really dangerous in set pieces because of Maguire, and for that reason I would swap those two around.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If France lose consecutive finals to Portugal and Croatia with their amazing team then they’re even more bottle jobs than England and Higuain combined.

With their amazing individuals.  If Croatia lift the trophy it will be because they are the best team.  As it should be.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Top 3 performers for England this tournament for me 

1) Trippier

2) Pickford

3) Sterling

Stones, Henderson , Young and Maguire close behind.

Seems ridiculous to say because kane’s most likely going to win the golden boot but I don’t think he was that good this tournament in terms of his general play.

Actually, there weren’t any players who can come back disgraced, they can all come back very proud of themselves as there weren’t any particularly bad performers.

Trippier, Pickford and Maguire.

Not sure whether that is due to them exceeding above expected performance level, or whether it’s a sign of the attacking players disappointing.

In the final third we’ve been poor throughout the tournament. Created very little in open play.

The system we used was supposed to free our attcking players. I think it restricted them as without a midfield we couldn’t construct attacks.

Set-pieces and VAR have been our specialty this summer.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Again, you seem to think me feeling England failed shows me to be some kind of awful, unbalanced child who is screaming and damaging things. Whereas, all I'm doing is vocalising on an internet forum that I think we should have gone through and underperformed. This kind of patronising nonsense is a complete waste of yours, and my time. 

At least we've found something to agree on that trying to reason with you is a complete waste of time. Hope you're feeling slightly more positive in the morning.

Just now, ramit said:

With their amazing individuals.  If Croatia lift the trophy it will be because they are the best team.  As it should be.

The best team doesn’t always win the World Cup. 

So far, France have been head and shoulders above the rest.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

The best team doesn’t always win the World Cup. 

So far, France have been head and shoulders above the rest.

Then the final is a foregone conclusion, eh.  Sure, the best set up team usually wins.  Tactics rule football, not personalities.

This will probably go missing due to the arguments in this thread but what’s everyone team of the tournaments so far?

@Alpha @Bris Vegas @Andicis And any others who are frequent visitors to this thread?   Mine is

Courtois 

Trippier Varane  Godin  Young

Modric  Kante  Pogba

Mbappe     Kane   Hazard

Vrsaljko, Lukaku, Pickford and Laxalt just miss out.

Just now, McLovin said:

This will probably go missing due to the arguments in this thread but what’s everyone team of the tournaments so far?

@Alpha @Bris Vegas @Andicis And any others who are frequent visitors to this thread?   Mine is

Courtois 

Modric  Kante  Pogba

Mbappe     Kane   Hazard

No one from England obviously as they're a bunch of bottlers if you believe other posters.....

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Agree with Pickford and Trippier, wouldn't you put Maguire ahead of Sterling though? If you judge attackers by their numbers, Sterling didn't actually do much, whereas we looked really dangerous in set pieces because of Maguire, and for that reason I would swap those two around.

Sterling did all the dogged work for the likes of Kane, Alli and Lingard to play in my opinion. His performances have been brilliant, it’s just his finishing that let him down.

I think we looked a bit clueless up front when Sterling came off. Vida and Lovren were terrified of sterling’s pace

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wow, you really destroyed my point there! Extraordinary argument. Oh wait. 

Okay I’ll be serious, do you tell your kids the same if they lose a game of football? Or any sport they choose? 

Just now, McLovin said:

Courtois 

Modric  Kante  Pogba

Mbappe     Kane   Hazard

Pickford

Trippier  Godin  Maguire  Laxalt

Modric   Kante  Rakitic 

Mbappe    Lukaku   Rebic

I felt Lukaku offered more all round, I preferred Maguire over Varane, and I felt Young was let down by his lack of ability to cross with his left foot.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pickford

Modric   Kante  Rakitic 

Mbappe    Lukaku   Rebic

I felt Lukaku offered more all round, I preferred Maguire over Varane, and I felt Young was let down by his lack of ability to cross with his left foot.

I forgot about Golovin too. I’d probably choose him over Pogba in the best performing team.

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Courtois 

Modric  Kante  Pogba

Mbappe     Kane   Hazard

I’d definitely have Coutinho in there. By far Brazil’s standout player.

I’d probably go for Ochoa too in goal. Biased, but he made loads of key saves.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Aged 19, I'd be quite alarmed if I had kids.

You’ve got a lot to learn buddy..... apologies for being a tad sarcy previously.....

17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pickford

Modric   Kante  Rakitic 

Mbappe    Lukaku   Rebic

There are 3 Croats there. Didn’t you think they were gash?

Archived