World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, gazram80 said:

EVER really? , we have reached a world cup final before. 

With that analagy you should bottle it and sell it to like minded fans. 

Last time we did it, we had harder games. We'll never win another world cup.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Adding players like sessegnon, Maddison and co , when they are ready , to this England squad will only add some quality and variety. Think we will need more quality up front too as we are too reliant on Kane who was poor today.

good bunch of lads though and well done to England for reaching the world cup semis certainly beyond my expectation at the start of the tournament. This isn't the golden generation... Not yet anyway , but they got further than the so called golden ones with their golden bals. 

That's because Mac isn't managing these lot. At least Southgate managed to get us to the tournament, which is more than Mac managed with the so called "golden generation". 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Alli and Lingard can't pressure 3 Croatian central midfielders and a full back each for an hour. 

They didn't create ANYTHING when they had the ball. That is their job, more than pressuring. They had the ball, and did nothing with it.

Modric was fantastic, I hope he guides Croatia to World Cup glory and wins the ballon dor. If he doesn't win it i hope Raphael varane wins it, both had great world cups so far. Would be nice to see a player other than a forward win it. 

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Commiserations on England losing against a very tough Croatia and i understand the disappointment, but why not support your national team as they play for a bronze medal at the World Cup?  It's a medal of some worth, the third best team at the world stage.

Who wants to play for the losers medal? 3rd place game is pointless and should be scrapped. We're out. It's irrelevant whether we finish 3rd or 4th, we lost.

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

Commiserations on England losing against a very tough Croatia and i understand the disappointment, but why not support your national team as they play for a bronze medal at the World Cup?  It's a medal of some worth, the third best team at the world stage.

I'd be watching if wasn't at my bro's wedding, but don't really care about the outcome now.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Argh it was so daft to try and play on the counter. Everyone back, defend, win the ball, hit Kane, flick on for runner. 

It's alright for 10 minutes but for 30-45mins you're surrendering midfield to 3 Croatians. Then because Croatian need to take risks the full backs leave Lovren and Vida to defend. Now Alli and Lingard are screwed. They go wide to help on the flanks and Modric and Rakitic are free within dangerous range. They stay in, like they did and Young and Trippier are pinned back with 2 coming at them each. 

It was worth it for a short time but we ran Lingard and Alli out the game.

Yes, we sat back, tried the quick long ball all game ala Rowett (Rowett had to because of the players he had), we gave away possession, we didn't press.

We are 4-5 players short of a a team that can compete with the best. Lingard and Alli are not ball winning, match controlling midfield players.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They lost a pretty easy game. Henderson got dominated in the middle, Alli and Lingard did nothing. Not sure how it's bottling, wasting our best opportunity to a world cup final we've EVER had. That's a bottle job. 

Against pretty much the best midfield in the tournament? Behave. 

Each to their own like but for me we've had a cracking month and made it much further than I thought this squad under this manager was capable of. Look at the team from top to bottom, question marks over pretty much every player bar Kane since the end of the regular season and we've been treated to some brilliant tournament performances. 

No shame in losing to Croatia, they had so much more quality on the ball than us. With Modric, Rakatic, and Perisic in midfield I'm not going to complain, three of the best midfielders in Europe if not the world at the mo. We had Jordan ducking Henderson! (Who's had a quality tournament by all accounts). 

Came up short, no bother. Go again in two years. Well done Southgate and the boys. 

10 minutes ago, GadFly said:

I wanted to win just as much as you did. Doesn't mean I'm going to pretend we're a great team and beat amazing opposition to get this far. The first time we've played half decent opposition (except Belgium, who, oh yeah, we lost against!) we lose... Quelle surprise! Hype all you want about beating Tunisia and Panama and Sweden, but deep down you know I'm right... This England team is no different to those before it. 

What a stupid comment - huge difference you ****

11 players who care , play positive attacking football, prepared to take risks on the ball,carry out managers directions & have a positive can do attitude embedded into their identity - you tell me the last England team who did that?

If Frank can embed something similar at Derby with new young fesh & vibrant young players then even this forum might start to have a more positive less cynical outlook 

Personally proud to be English tonight 

England were pretty good first half.

If it hadn't been for the good draw this team would've met a properly good side perhaps at the QF stage and thats where I feel the level of this team is. Not bad, and im not knocking them at all, but just a bit short of being a genuine contender. And England usually have good first half then fade as they run at and overwhelm teams early on but can't keep it up. Croatia were off the back of extra time twice and are older than England but didn't run out of puff.

If Colombia had tried playing instead of fouling they might have had more joy, but England were comfortably better than Sweden.

Still, onto the next disappointing failure to qualify for Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The players on paper were easily good enough. That bottled it tonight. Kane, our one world class player, where was he? You could forget he was even on the pitch. He did zilch. Alli and Lingard were passengers, our best attacker of the first half, Sterling was taken off ahead of those two. We're so predictable.

Don't blame Kane. He relies on service. Our midfield struggle to provide any and apart from the odd moment didn't for the entire tournament. For me it's Alli or Lingard, not both.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sweden and Colombia aren't tough games. They're average international opposition. We beat a bunch of average teams to look better than we were.

So if we looked better than we were then aren't we expecting too much? 

I mean I think England are half decent side. They played half decent sides and lost to 1 of them. Kane will get golden boot and we scored what? 12 goals in 6 games? Finally won a knockout game. 

I don't see the big deal to be honest. 

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The players on paper were easily good enough. That bottled it tonight. Kane, our one world class player, where was he? You could forget he was even on the pitch. He did zilch. Alli and Lingard were passengers, our best attacker of the first half, Sterling was taken off ahead of those two. We're so predictable.

Alli was playing for mk Dons and lingard for us. Mo dric for real,Madrid and raticic for barca. Why would we expect them to be better than them? 

Just now, Andicis said:

They didn't create ANYTHING when they had the ball. That is their job, more than pressuring. They had the ball, and did nothing with it.

Tbf what have they created all tournament? 

9 out of the 12 goals have been set pieces which is impressive. 

England have done very well to reach the semi finals with limited talent. 

Just now, Mr Tibbs said:

Against pretty much the best midfield in the tournament? Behave. 

Each to their own like but for me we've had a cracking month and made it much further than I thought this squad under this manager was capable of. Look at the team from top to bottom, question marks over pretty much every player bar Kane since the end of the regular season and we've been treated to some brilliant tournament performances. 

No shame in losing to Croatia, they had so much more quality on the ball than us. With Modric, Rakatic, and Perisic in midfield I'm not going to complain, three of the best midfielders in Europe if not the world at the mo. We had Jordan ducking Henderson! (Who's had a quality tournament by all accounts). 

Came up short, no bother. Go again in two years. Well done Southgate and the boys. 

There is absolutely shame in losing to Croatia. They have 2 quality players, and the rest of them are bang average. Perisic one of the best midfielders in Europe? Give your head a wobble! 

No bother? We just lost our best ever chance of winning another world cup because we're bottlers. It's absolutely a bother. Pathetic, defeatist attitude. Let's celebrate a 4th place finish. Woo.

Just now, Andicis said:

Who wants to play for the losers medal? 3rd place game is pointless and should be scrapped. We're out. It's irrelevant whether we finish 3rd or 4th, we lost.

There is no such thing as a loser medal, but there are loser suppoerts

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

Alli was playing for mk Dons and lingard for us. Mo dric for real,Madrid and raticic for barca. Why would we expect them to be better than them? 

???? Why is that even relevant? Alli now plays for Spurs and Lingard now plays for United, the fact is they didn't turn up when we needed them. It's all very well playing well against Panama. But when we needed them most, where were they?

Archived