World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

46 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Somebody on twitter wrote ‘Sterling is an example of a player who splits people into those who understand football those who just like having a go’ 

no other player makes the run he makes to create the chance when he’s one on one. He does everything right, tries to go around the keeper who does fantastically to get a touch on the ball. 

If that’s the other way around we are applauding Pickford not slating their striker...

Hopefully he will find an end product at some stage, is he keeping anybody better out of the team?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Anyone else got a hangover today? Apparently I belly flopped in the kids paddling pool. Some folks are daft.

Slightly fragile this morning , but stamina is the key .. This party will last and last. 

46 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Hopefully he will find an end product at some stage, is he keeping anybody better out of the team?

A player in better form possibly but not a player that adds more to the back 3 and Kane is he?

Can't wait until he scores the winner in the final. Will change him as a player. 

17 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's one pass from being a great player. I wouldn't give up on him

We've been saying that for years. Just how many chances does he get? He owes us big time.

Just now, KCG said:

We've been saying that for years. Just how many chances does he get? He owes us big time.

He's still young. He has improved under Pep and I don't think he's doing much wrong. He may never stop being greedy but if he does then he will be England's something from nothing man

Even now I'd say he's worth having in the side for Kane and the back 3. Yesterday his runs stretched Sweden. They couldn't press or stand off. If they press then Sterling went behind and if they stood off then they encouraged Kane to be in range. 

I thought the 1v1 was a good save didn't you?

The one where he should have passed to Kane but went alone was frustrating and that's what he really needs to recognise. Imagine the player if he does. 

The Croatia game will be very tough.  They are a solid unit who can mix it up, but also have another trick up the sleeve, they are incredibly cynical and very clever at it, because they get away with much of it.  When they feel that the opposition team is gaining too much momentum, they will feign injury.  Expect elbows to ribs, studs scraping ankles, trampling feet and other assorted goodies.  Much depends on who will be the ref in that game.

I tell you what. Wasn’t this tournament all about gaining these new guys some tournament experience, everyone was talking about how we didn’t expect much from this one, but we’re building experience and a great ‘team’ for the next euros and World Cup in 2022. 

Mid say we’ve ticked that box and then some. We’re not the finished product yet, and that’s incredible. Whether we win this or not, these guys will learn so much from this, and come back in 2022 a much better team. And when this ‘unfinished product’ Can get to the semis, and maybe further (at the very least we’re in the third places play off), then it’s scary to think what the finished product might achieve. 

And by 2022, the young guns in the team will be the guys who just won the under 18 World Cup. The future is very bright!

40 minutes ago, KCG said:

Until we start giving young players a chance to develop over any ‘lean’ periods, which may last a season or 3, we will continue on this cycle of

1) good young player emerges

2) sets world alight in first season

3) fails to meet heightened expectations after poor season

4) is binned due to a new youngster turning up.

Raheem is young, even though he’s been around for a few years. He has been really good and positive in both knockout games, and has much to offer.

On 28/06/2018 at 21:20, Andicis said:

Pathetic from Southgate. Should be ashamed of himself, setting out to lose is embarrassing and weak. Alexander Arnold, Vardy, Rashford and Dier were all absolutely shocking tonight. 

Who cares if England haven't played anyone of note... We're not the first team to ever have an easy run to the final. Didn't Germany get Paraguay, the USA and South Korea in 2002?

Brazil won several World Cups when only around eight teams participated and half were crap. 

On the outside looking in if France make it to the final then you'd have to say that's a great achievement considering they would have beaten Argentina, Uruguay and Belgium.

England have been given a great opportunity. Let's grab it with both hands.

31 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

What is the relevance in you quoting that? We WERE shocking against Belgium, do you see me slagging England off after a good performance and win? No. Embarrassing if you think that is a good comparison to use.

Well if we don't win it at least it united most English people and got them interested. England has been a chore and burden for a lot of fans and sadly players. 

That's a great consolation to not winning the World Cup. And we could come 3rd. 

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well if we don't win it at least it united most English people and got them interested. England has been a chore and burden for a lot of fans and sadly players. 

That's a great consolation to not winning the World Cup. And we could come 3rd. 

Hopefully at least 2nd. Still think the 3rd place play off is pointless.

29 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Hopefully at least 2nd. Still think the 3rd place play off is pointless.

I suppose it is really. Decent chance to get Jones and Cahill out for a kick and take a bronze medal instead of just bronze wags home though. 

What do you think to that nations league? 

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

Until we start giving young players a chance to develop over any ‘lean’ periods, which may last a season or 3, we will continue on this cycle of

1) good young player emerges

2) sets world alight in first season

3) fails to meet heightened expectations after poor season

4) is binned due to a new youngster turning up.

Raheem is young, even though he’s been around for a few years. He has been really good and positive in both knockout games, and has much to offer.

I think he has been very average for England despite his talent, and he has been given numerous opportunities, when Vardy, Rashford and Welbeck usually deliver for England. If Sterling had composure I'd agree with you, but he doesn't. No doubt after stating this he'll score a hat trick and set up another 3!!!!!!!

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I suppose it is really. Decent chance to get Jones and Cahill out for a kick and take a bronze medal instead of just bronze wags home though. 

What do you think to that nations league? 

I dont know what nations league you mean 

Archived