Managers you wish (at the time) we hadn't sacked (or resigned)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'd love to kick off by saying Clough, but I wasn't. I heard too many stories through my old man and I thought it was the best thing at that time.

Empathise with this as I remember asking my Dad about it, and he said that he was glad when he went as he was a big-mouth. Not saying I agree, just another side to counter the nostalgia over recent years.

So, for me it's:

Steve Mac (1st)- Newcastle came looking and all he apparently said was 'you can never say never...' well, I think that's wise words, he could be sacked the next week or in the next decade, why burn bridges?

Nigel Clough - Treated disgustingly after he had steadied the ship! and I would say he is in a minority in that he genuinely had an affection for Derby. I often wonder how he would have fared with a transfer budget? (Didn't like the way he would publicly ridicule the players). 

As with every Ram's fan everywhere, I regret Cloughie Snr resigning and then not coming back. But Mackay being sent packing was madness and what really led to the decliine and fall. If I recall (but it was a long time ago) it was part of a power-play to get Clough back that failed.

In recent times, Burley was so sad. What football he conjured in awful circumstances. The bastid amigos were not the people to work for.

With Clough Jnr I had lost interest. As had so many other people. Crowds were way down. And then Mac 1 revived that interest and turned us into a glorious machine for playing beautiful football. But Mac 1 had to go at the time. I understand Mac 2 going. Never go back (unless you're Clough Snr - he could have done it).

Colin Todd did not get a proper crack of the whip. And he was the most incredible servant to Derby and deserved a fair crack of the whip. I wouldn't have sacked him.

I don't regret Rowett leaving; I am sanguine about it. I would have kept him for stability, hoping he would somehow get us up, and supported him all the way through, but the football was not fun. Whatever happens now it's got to be more exciting - hasn't it?

So Mackay, Todd and Burley for me.

Begrudgingly, Nigel Pearson.

We shouldn't have appointed him is my main view, and I was delighted at the time he left, but on reflection, having made the decision to destroy a team capable of entertainment that had finished 5th the previous season, to replace with two banks of four and run the channels, we should have stuck with it until we got good at being that kind of team.

Mac2, Burley, Nigel Clough, and probably Clement but without knowing the behind the scenes, that is.

To be honest, I think constantly sacking managers is counter productive. By sticking with Rowett we revived and got the play offs, shame it got rewarded the way it did, but I was pleased we got out of the dip without the new manager syndrome.

13 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Empathise with this as I remember asking my Dad about it, and he said that he was glad when he went as he was a big-mouth. Not saying I agree, just another side to counter the nostalgia over recent years.

So, for me it's:

Steve Mac (1st)- Newcastle came looking and all he apparently said was 'you can never say never...' well, I think that's wise words, he could be sacked the next week or in the next decade, why burn bridges?

Nigel Clough - Treated disgustingly after he had steadied the ship! and I would say he is in a minority in that he genuinely had an affection for Derby. I often wonder how he would have fared with a transfer budget? (Didn't like the way he would publicly ridicule the players). 

A lot of people look back at Cloughie leaving with the benefit of hindsight.

Its easy to see now it was a mistake of monumental proportions, both by Brian and the Board for not moving heaven and earth to resolve the issue.

Jeez man, what could have been, eh? ?

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

A lot of people look back at Cloughie leaving with the benefit of hindsight.

Its easy to see now it was a mistake of monumental proportions, both by Brian and the Board for not moving heaven and earth to resolve the issue.

Jeez man, what could have been, eh? ?

After a league championship and being cheated out of European Cup Final, it was easy to see then.

Tim Ward. What a stupid decision, bringing in that relatively untried loudmouth from a fourth division side, and his assistant, Non-League Peter. Barmy.

Many people say Clough Snr, but let's remember that Mackay took that team on and elevated it to another level. That 75/76 team were brilliant, Clough's steady foundation with Mackay 's added flair. Yet 6 months later it all came crashing down after a poor start to the season. 

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You have to be kidding me.

Chris Hutchings was nailing it before Lowe!

Also had an impressive win percentage I'll give you that.  But in his entire Derby managerial career did he ever taste victory against a side that wasn't in the Conference?  

I rest my case. 

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

George Burley - was genuinely gutted when he resigned. Had transformed us from a team destined for League One to playoffs the following season with virtually no money to spend. The football was fantastic too. To replace him with Phil Brown just seemed cruel.

Nigel Clough - the timing of his sacking angered me more than anything. Agree he would eventually have got us up & the squad was mostly in place. Problem was many fans had lost patience.

Paul Clement - first managerial job, doing pretty well & then cast aside after 8 months. The football wasn't very exciting but understandably he was still finding his way. That could have evolved had he been given the chance.

I was also saddened when Arthur Cox & Jim Smith left but unlike the 3 managers above, thought their time with us had come to a natural end.

Pretty much this, plus Mac on both occasions. 

It’s usually the fact we appoint a clown afterwards that riles me further. 

Mac 2 for me.

Mac 1, I'd love to say I didn't agree with it at the time, but I agreed with the decision - I truly believed the wheels had come off and he wasn't going to be able to turn it around. Who knows where we'd be if that didn't happen.

Mac 2 was absurd. I have no idea why he was hired and then sacked in such a short, fairly successful, space of time.

Nigel clough 

people say his football was boring and dull.

it was no more so bar mac 1 than any of our more recent managers.

we played some good stuff, we played some bad stuff under him

but he had put together under the austerity of the Americans a young and hungry side that given time and couple more additions I think would have had us up there.

its a shame that he did the hard bit, trimming the over bloated wage bill getting rid of jewels and Billy's expensive mistakes and bringing in young and hungry talented players all Ina shoestring

yes there was some flops in there but they were easily moved on cos unlike this lot of deadbeats we weren't handing out stupid contracts 

just a shame he/we wernt allowed to see his young talents continue to develops under him 

could have been what we're striving for some however many years and managers later imo

10 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Nigel clough 

people say his football was boring and dull.

it was no more so bar mac 1 than any of our more recent managers.

we played some good stuff, we played some bad stuff under him

but he had put together under the austerity of the Americans a young and hungry side that given time and couple more additions I think would have had us up there.

its a shame that he did the hard bit, trimming the over bloated wage bill getting rid of jewels and Billy's expensive mistakes and bringing in young and hungry talented players all Ina shoestring

yes there was some flops in there but they were easily moved on cos unlike this lot of deadbeats we weren't handing out stupid contracts 

just a shame he/we wernt allowed to see his young talents continue to develops under him 

could have been what we're striving for some however many years and managers later imo

A lot of the time though the football was boring and dull. He was the last manager until Rowett to cause me to lose interest in the Rams, which takes some doing. He could spot a decent player and brought through some our best young’uns, but I dont believe he would have ever taken us up. 

The ones I regret are Mac 1 & 2. We could have been contenders again under Mac but Morris ******* it up as per usual.

11 minutes ago, Jayram said:

A lot of the time though the football was boring and dull. He was the last manager until Rowett to cause me to lose interest in the Rams, which takes some doing. He could spot a decent player and brought through some our best young’uns, but I dont believe he would have ever taken us up. 

The ones I regret are Mac 1 & 2. We could have been contenders again under Mac but Morris ******* it up as per usual.

I agree it wasn't always great but part of that was also the austerity coming from the club at the time

knowing we're not going to or have no chance of making any exciting multimillion pound signings hardly inspires people to come and watch 

we all flocked to see butters and Bradley .... wish I hadn't bothered lol 

10m quid for those pair it still hurts me ...like deeply 

I'm saying this tongue in cheek but that's probably more than Nigel spent period 

anyhow lets not do the whole Nigel dance, been done way too many times lol

Archived