Watchdog Tonight BBC1 8pm - safe standing

therams69

All,

Feature on safe standing tonight by Ed Balls at some point throughout the programme.

Should be worth a watch. Didnt post in thread as wouldnt be seen by the millions of fans that see a new thread!

Feel free to move after Davo.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a meeting tomorrow with my local MP which is Chris Williamson. We once had a debate on radio a few years ago and he was against it so hoping tomorrow i can persuade him to get on board and count on him to attend the debate in the commons on 25 June.

1 minute ago, therams69 said:

I have a meeting tomorrow with my local MP which is Chris Williamson. We once had a debate on radio a few years ago and he was against it so hoping tomorrow i can persuade him to get on board and count on him to attend the debate in the commons on 25 June.

Don’t bank on it, he’s Banwait’s mate. Bloody Banwait.

8 hours ago, therams69 said:

Tell him you will turn Vegan and adopt a few Syrian kids if you want him to actually listen to you.

I’m a bit confused over the rail seat system ,,, are seats unlocked ( saw them do it with a key thing) during the game so you can choose to sit or stand? If not what’s the point of the seat and why not just have the rails?

15 minutes ago, archied said:

I’m a bit confused over the rail seat system ,,, are seats unlocked ( saw them do it with a key thing) during the game so you can choose to sit or stand? If not what’s the point of the seat and why not just have the rails?

Certain competitions, the champions league for example don’t allow standing at games so for CL games the seats are put down and and locked into position. If not whole stands with rail seats would have to be closed off would have to be closed.

21 minutes ago, archied said:

Certain competitions demand that it’s all seated (Champions League, I think) so it’s possible to convert between the two.

1 hour ago, hiltonram said:

So if it is only the european competitions that require seats, why does Shrewsbury bother putting the seats in, could they not have just put the rail in alone? Surely that would cost a lot less money.

I would guess it's because (1) they want to pioneer safe-standing and (2) they are hoping for promotion to the Championship, where for the time being it is all-seater. They are in the League 1 play-off final.

Strangely enough, if they were already in the Champ they would not be allowed to even install the rail seats, but I guess that if they already have them when they come up, they can keep them and use them in the seat positions only.

See this quote from the article below:

As Championship teams are not permitted to install safe-standing, Shrewsbury had previously believed the rail seats would require installation before League One's play-off final at Wembley on Sunday, May 27.

But the English Football League have revealed that, should Town be successful in reaching the second tier, promotion would be officially confirmed at the EFL AGM in Portugal on June 7.

Town raised the £65,000 funding via crowdfunding experts Tifosy last year after the Supporters' Parliament-led bid was first revealed last June.

Following detailed talks and planning with the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) and Shropshire Council's Safety Advisory Group (SAG), work is now ready to begin.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/2018/04/23/safe-standing-shrewsbury-town-confirm-start-date-for-installation/

46 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

But the English Football League have revealed that, should Town be successful in reaching the second tier, promotion would be officially confirmed at the EFL AGM in Portugal on June 7.

It's tough being a suit!

3 hours ago, hiltonram said:

So if it is only the european competitions that require seats, why does Shrewsbury bother putting the seats in, could they not have just put the rail in alone? Surely that would cost a lot less money.

1 hour ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I would guess it's because (1) they want to pioneer safe-standing and (2) they are hoping for promotion to the Championship, where for the time being it is all-seater. They are in the League 1 play-off final.

Strangely enough, if they were already in the Champ they would not be allowed to even install the rail seats, but I guess that if they already have them when they come up, they can keep them and use them in the seat positions only.

See this quote from the article below:

As Championship teams are not permitted to install safe-standing, Shrewsbury had previously believed the rail seats would require installation before League One's play-off final at Wembley on Sunday, May 27.

Town raised the £65,000 funding via crowdfunding experts Tifosy last year after the Supporters' Parliament-led bid was first revealed last June.

Following detailed talks and planning with the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) and Shropshire Council's Safety Advisory Group (SAG), work is now ready to begin.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/2018/04/23/safe-standing-shrewsbury-town-confirm-start-date-for-installation/

Also because their ground, like many these days, is for multi-purpose use. For example, they have an Elton John concert there in the summer so need seats, but wanted football supporters to be able to stand.

Archived