Rowett’s interest a potential blessing?

cannable

20 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yes - All of this

Davies is 33 now I think? Not gonna get much for him and his value around the club and on the pitch is worth £2m plus

Ditto Carson but maybe he's 32 and worth more like £5m cos keepers can go on forever

The big question ALWAYS is: How much would it cost to replace them?

A CB of Davies quality? £5m at least - A GK of Carson's quality? How many even are there? £5m+

Should we appoint a manager tht plays from the back we would need to replace them anyway though and with a different type of player

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cannable said:

Should we appoint a manager tht plays from the back we would need to replace them anyway though and with a different type of player

I disagree - Carson has no problem getting the ball to the back 4 - It's any further he struggles - And if you play from the back you just need to get it to your defenders

Davies is a lovely footballer - Has a great range of passing - Not sure which Davies you've been watching but he can play out from the back with ease

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I disagree - Carson has no problem getting the ball to the back 4 - It's any further he struggles - And if you play from the back you just need to get it to your defenders

Davies is a lovely footballer - Has a great range of passing - Not sure which Davies you've been watching but he can play out from the back with ease

His distribution from the back was absolutely atrocious under Mac 2, utterly atrocious. If he wasn’t kicking it straight out he was giving it to players under pressure. 

Davies is fine on the ball when you’re not taking it to extremes. When you ARE playing to extremes he’s bare minimum. 

It’s a tricky one. I believe we can sell Vydra and still get better overall, Carson and Davies would be tricky. I don’t think we’ll find anybody as good as Davies for the money we’ll get for him, but we could certainly sign a player capable of playing a bigger role in our longer-term future.

The following transfers aren’t suggestions, I’m just choosing linked/available players to form a possible scenario we could find ourselves in...

Sell:

Vydra - £15m

Davies - £3m

Carson - £4m

Buy:

Henderson (Utd) - Free

Souttar (Hearts) - £2m

Maddison & Marriott (Pboro) - £9m combined

We would probably be weaker as a starting eleven but we’d have a younger, more promising side with the potential to develop and/or make a very good profit. Would be circa £10m profit from those transfers alone too. It would be interesting to see how many would be in favour of those kinds of deals this summer, not necessarily those specific players, but cashing in on our better performers and replacing with high potential players costing less than we’ve brought in.

Carson's distribution has come on leaps and bounds and nowadays is excellent, often playing balls of the same quality as Huddlestone. Think you're watching a different game, @cannable. He's a fabulous keeper, best since Poom as has been said. He should be on the plane. If he leaves we'll be much the poorer, perhaps like when we replaced Poom with Russell Hoult!

Rowett can take Johnson, Weimann and Jerome, three of his favourites, with my blessing. Let's hope his interest lies there. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Yes - All of this

Davies is 33 now I think? Not gonna get much for him and his value around the club and on the pitch is worth £2m plus

Ditto Carson but maybe he's 32 and worth more like £5m cos keepers can go on forever

The big question ALWAYS is: How much would it cost to replace them?

A CB of Davies quality? £5m at least - A GK of Carson's quality? How many even are there? £5m+

Hopefully,a new keeper would have rather less to do than Carson under a new manager!

Who is Grant with now,I take it he's not at stoke anymore??

Curtis would be a bigger loss,he's a great captain above all else and keogh surely doesn't want the armband back.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hopefully, a new keeper would have rather less to do than Carson under a new manager!

Who is Grant with now,I take it he's not at stoke anymore??

Curtis would be a bigger loss,he's a great captain above all else and keogh surely doesn't want the armband back.

You underestimate the effect and influence of a really good keeper. Carson would be a huge loss, Davies not so much and why wouldn't Keogh want the armband back (although I think he's better without it)?

18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Carson's distribution has come on leaps and bounds and nowadays is excellent, often playing balls of the same quality as Huddlestone. Think you're watching a different game, @cannable. He's a fabulous keeper, best since Poom as has been said. He should be on the plane. If he leaves we'll be much the poorer, perhaps like when we replaced Poom with Russell Hoult!

Rowett can take Johnson, Weimann and Jerome, three of his favourites, with my blessing. Let's hope his interest lies there. 

Kicking it long is totally different to quickly and accurately out, totally different. 

I agree, his distribution has improved but it’s a different method of distribution to how he could hypothetically be asked to 

Archived