Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

Similarly to many, many others in this thread. I'm so indifferent to Rowett going that I don't think I would have any strong feelings either way. 

If we keep Rowett, we know what we are going to get. The football isn't easy on the eyes, it's all percentage play. We'll grind results out and even if we lost a lot of of our better players, he's the sort of manager that will grind out results and keep us in the midtable. 

If we lose Rowett, we need to recruit someone good who can then bring players in whilst losing established members of the squad at the same time. It's a difficult job to walk in to. Rowett already knows the craic. I don't know if that's a reason to keep him, but I don't see either scenario leading to a promising year next year. 

It's fair to say that if Rowett was to leave then he will have left us in a much worse position than when he found us, with regards to quality in the squad & resale value. I'm not sure that's how he will want to be remembered, maybe he doesn't care? I don't know. 

As for a replacement, I wouldn't even know where to start. It all depends on our financial situation and ambitions. I'm open to giving anyone a chance, but I'd hope that we wouldn't let Rowett leave and go for the same type of manager. If he goes, which I am more than happy to accept then the recruitment needs to be well planned. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be hard to watch another season of his style of football. Think this way, everyone would be a winner including Gary. His style is very much suited to Stoke and there are countless managers we could bring in. I just hope it would be somebody who has good networks and connections in terms of recruitment.

6 hours ago, superrams23 said:

Who would we replace rowett with who could make derby play exciting football again? Well personally I'd go for Steve bold correct me if I'm wrong but he was number 2 at arsenal soo probably learned a think or two from wenger and I'm assuming his play style would be similar also with having good links to arsernal maybe that would put us in a good position to get some quality loan signings 

Warburton, or if Fulham dont go up Jokanovic as his Fulham side will get torn apart with departures

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Why wouldn't it? SO many managers could do more and better. Just the fact that people think that because we sacked a few nobody will join us, which is wrong. I'd bet against Rowett doing anything at another club, and I would happily bet on the likes of Warburton doing so much more, the manager we should have signed. We don't have infinite time to give Rowett, time to either perform or leave. 

I agree I think Warburton was a better fit with who we had here....I have to say I really like Rowett he's a decent bloke but i don't think he's a good fit for us but i'm worried that Derby is his dream job and will stay.....a Warburton or Jokanovic would need time to get us playing there way...they would need time but think we'd see a good team eventually with hopefully younger players and a new scouting system

I’ve reached the point where I half hope he goes to stoke simply because derby fans don’t deserve him and his treatment by sections of our fans is a sad reflection of where we are as a club now ,, second tier for years and years with fans living in cloud cuckoo land thinking we should not only be top tier but also playing like Barcelona exasperated by one and a half  seasons of good football that never got us up and mels silly statement about the derby way , 

we have an up and comming manager that is rated in the game , wanted by other clubs , done decent and improving jobs wherever he has been and we have fans wanting him out and offering to drive him to another club ,, 

replace him with wassell ( never bought a player or built a team )

jokanovic if fulham don’t go up ,,, cuckoo 

wenger ,,,,, cuckoo 

warburton ,,,, done bugger all 

any number of lower league punts ,   ,, bored ,bored,bored,

as far as I can see there’s only really Paul Simpson who may just fit the bill as a replacement but I’m far from convinced that he would come here and it’s a bloody poison chalice job with our fans and owner

1 minute ago, archied said:

I’ve reached the point where I half hope he goes to stoke simply because derby fans don’t deserve him and his treatment by sections of our fans is a sad reflection of where we are as a club now ,, second tier for years and years with fans living in cloud cuckoo land thinking we should not only be top tier but also playing like Barcelona exasperated by one and a half  seasons of good football that never got us up and mels silly statement about the derby way , 

we have an up and comming manager that is rated in the game , wanted by other clubs , done decent and improving jobs wherever he has been and we have fans wanting him out and offering to drive him to another club ,, 

replace him with wassell ( never bought a player or built a team )

jokanovic if fulham don’t go up ,,, cuckoo 

wenger ,,,,, cuckoo 

warburton ,,,, done bugger all 

any number of lower league punts ,   ,, bored ,bored,bored,

as far as I can see there’s only really Paul Simpson who may just fit the bill as a replacement but I’m far from convinced that he would come here and it’s a bloody poison chalice job with our fans and owner

I've got an easier solution, get rid of all the fans.  At least that way Rowett will be appreciated whilst he is managing an empty stadium with no revenue in the Northern Premier League.  

Just now, Inglorius said:

I've got an easier solution, get rid of all the fans.  At least that way Rowett will be appreciated whilst he is managing an empty stadium with no revenue in the Northern Premier League.  

In your dreams. 

5 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I was being sarcastic am afraid, it is the lowest form of wit they say 

I am afraid that bit of sarcasm hit a raw nerve as I think Derby will go downhill from now on if they lose Rowett. 

The only one to stand up to Mel Morris. 

Academy this academy that etc etc 

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

All the fans ??? No 

wouldn’t miss the ones that spill vile abuse at players ,boo if we don’t win every game , boo if we are doing ok but don’t get the ball forward fast enough but then moan about hoofball if we do ,hound players like keough on social media ,hound young players like Lawrence ,write off players like vydra as rubbish and couldn’t give away for free then when it turns out he isn’t half bad and wins the golden boot are happy to get rid because he hinders our team?, 

so in answer to your question ,would I be sad to see derby attendances drop to our usual hardcore 23/ 24 thousand who in the main get behind the team ,manager and club ?        

Would i ****

1 minute ago, archied said:

wouldn’t miss the ones that spill vile abuse at players ,boo if we don’t win every game , boo if we are doing ok but don’t get the ball forward fast enough but then moan about hoofball if we do ,hound players like keough on social media ,hound young players like Lawrence ,write off players like vydra as rubbish and couldn’t give away for free then when it turns out he isn’t half bad and wins the golden boot are happy to get rid because he hinders our team?, 

Are these all supposed to be the same people? Probably around 50% of our fans are somewhat tepid on Rowett but don't engage any of that other nonsense. It's unfair to lump people that aren't enamored with our recent style of play with people that abuse our own players on social media.

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Are these all supposed to be the same people? Probably around 50% of our fans are somewhat tepid on Rowett but don't engage any of that other nonsense. It's unfair to lump people that aren't enamored with our recent style of play with people that abuse our own players on social media.

No your right ,,, I’m making it all up 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

I am afraid that bit of sarcasm hit a raw nerve as I think Derby will go downhill from now on if they lose Rowett. 

The only one to stand up to Mel Morris

Academy this academy that etc etc 

In what way has he done this Curtains?

for what it’s worth I think Derby are likely to go downhill for at least a short while with or without Rowett. The budget constraints are going to be tougher on him for a couple of seasons according to some intelligent posters analysis.whilst we can all argue whether or not he’s done a decent job on players, coaching etc so far it does seem that he will have to slash costs.

on the academy, @NorwichLad put up some excellent posts to suggest we shouldn’t expect to see great benefits for a few years yet, so while that might help to reduce 1st team wage bill in the short term, your views on the damage to 1st team quality could well be right.

basically I think we have a hard couple of years whoever is managing.?

hey, perhaps Gary has worked that out and might think Stoke is a better bet....

Archived