I'm the most purist fan me

ariotofmyown

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I just wish hoping for more that one attempt on target per game in a play off semi final didn’t have me down as a purist. That and KGC’s crying emojis at anything I post have right upset me today ?

Can't remember last post I made that didn't get a crying emote!

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

They got promoted?

Yep..... would you say they played entertaining football?

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Would have been a cracking post, had we won last night, however we didn’t, we got battered, leaving the ground with a sense of inevitability that we havd just been played off the park by the mighty Fulham.

We did manage a couple of shots on target though, we even managed to beat our possession stats from the first leg and made it over 30%, I also bet that we had players who run more than any other, I wonder if we could ask for a spot in the PL based upon that, if not we have always got the TV analysts who gave us a pat on the back for stifling Fulham’s play for so long and only losing by the odd goal.

So instead let’s shout from the roof tops how entertaining football doesn’t matter, and that results do, how my kids enjoyed a match or two along the way, and how we managed to beat Hull 5-0 in that one match, and we were that close to Wembley after finishing the 6th best team in the second tier of English football a whole 13 points behind 3rd.  Let’s forget about the dire performances, the tactics deployed, getting rid of our best youth talent we have produced for years for peanuts because he doesn’t suit our style of play, leaving our top goal scorer on the bench when an early goal would have helped us get a positive result and focus on the plus sides....which are that it’s results that counts.

Only one problem, we neither played football or got the results.  

Would have been a cracking post, if I had been saying that all that matters is the results and I'm totally happy with poor performances.

It may have gone over your head, but what I was really attacking is not the fan who makes considered critical objections on where we are or how we are playing.

It was the more the fan, online mostly, who continually does the club down and moans never ending, often as they see themselves as intelligent purist "einsteins" who fundamentally believes that they are right and there is only one way to play.

There is no joy in their heart, no appreication that you have good times and bad times. And that today's bad times are relitavely good compared to most years, and most clubs

The club is on sound footing. Pride Park is a pretty amazing ground to have. Our overpaid and deadwood players got us to 6th and we lost by 1 goal to a decent Fulham team.

We've made mistakes of course, and Mel's biggest mistake was probably to back managers too much. The season has been up, down and up again. Gary turned it around at the end and got a tune again out of our aging squad. Let's let him build us into a more effective team next season, signs of which we saw in the Autumn where things were much less dire that people would have you believe.

We had a magic spell back when Steve Mac took on (the much-berated Nigel's) team but it didn't work out. Get over it. We are not the first team ever to have something like this happen to us.

16 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Yep..... would you say they played entertaining football?

I didn’t watch them on a regular basis to form an opinion, they lost as many as us, however won a lot more so I would say more attacking than us yes.

However, it’s  irrelevant as we neither played entertaining football or got the results we needed, hence we failed on both accounts. 

53 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You can stop that with your stats...

The rowettites will go all quiet on you.

It's pretty pertinent though isn't it.....just how is he an improvement????

We finished 9th last season and finished 6th this season. That's an improvement isn't it?

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would have been a cracking post, if I had been saying that all that matters is the results and I'm totally happy with poor performances.

It may have gone over your head, but what I was really attacking is not the fan who makes considered critical objections on where we are or how we are playing.

It was the more the fan, online mostly, who continually does the club down and moans never ending, often as they see themselves as intelligent purist "einsteins" who fundamentally believes that they are right and there is only one way to play.

There is no joy in their heart, no appreication that you have good times and bad times. And that today's bad times are relitavely good compared to most years, and most clubs

The club is on sound footing. Pride Park is a pretty amazing ground to have. Our overpaid and deadwood players got us to 6th and we lost by 1 goal to a decent Fulham team.

We've made mistakes of course, and Mel's biggest mistake was probably to back managers too much. The season has been up, down and up again. Gary turned it around at the end and got a tune again out of our aging squad. Let's let him build us into a more effective team next season, signs of which we saw in the Autumn where things were much less dire that people would have you believe.

We had a magic spell back when Steve Mac took on (the much-berated Nigel's) team but it didn't work out. Get over it. We are not the first team ever to have something like this happen to us.

Get over what, you don’t like someone disagreeing with your opinion, that’s what happens on a forum I’m afraid.  

You think there are signs of a good team, others do not, you beleive that GR can take us foward, others do not, I thought other than the a handful of games the season was tedious, boring and we never stood a chance of beating Fulham with a manager who wasn’t prepared to attack and best hopes were keeping two clean sheets. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Aye same here, been getting them for months. I can take draws, I can take losses but what I can’t take is someone trying to convince me I’m mistaken/wrong with what I’m seeing with my very own eyes.

Maybe it’s all just down to standards or being not so easy to please, I don’t know. For me, we struggle with the basics, is it a question of the coaching ? And I don’t know how hands on Rowett is with the coaching so that’s not a sly pop at him, he might have his staff do the majority for all I know. We’re not what I would call finely tuned yet which I don’t think is unreasonable to expect at least signs of given the time he/his staff have had access to the players.

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I find them hilarious and at the same time, I know at least someone reads what I write.

Why someone would do it is still a mystery... Then again, I might be too old for those emojis. I'm old school and expect others opinion to be heard too, you know, like a dialogue or conversation?

?

You don't have to pick between winning and not booting the ball away. 

I like how there's this idea still floating that we were a possession side under McClaren. We weren't. We averaged about 52-53% i think. 

So for every mocked "purist" there's a numpty to remind them that "possession doesn't win games" 

Attacking, aggressive, accurate football has nothing to do with possession. But if you say "Derby a dull and negative" there's an assumption you're asking for "Barca".

Clement played dull negative football. Rowett mostly plays dull negative football. Possession has feck all to do with it. 

"Oh but Cardiff/Burnley"... Yeah but Wolves and Man City. You can find examples of whatever you want.

I don't rate Rowett. Therefore I'm not a "real fan" in one thread and I'm guessing I want 70% possession? 

I'd just like to take this moment to point out there's a big gap between 70% possession and 9 men behind the ball hoping an opponent sits on your goal so you can kick it past them and run after it. As good at defending Derby are they're attacking is a fooking loooooong way off Barca. 

Just now, AdamRam said:

I did watch them on a regular basis to form an opinion, they lost as many as us, however won a lot more so I would say more attacking than us yes.

However, it’s  irrelevant as we neither played entertaining football or got the results we needed, hence we failed on both accounts. 

Errrr it is relevant entirely as it showed Cardiff got results playing very similar football to Derby, Middlesbrough too,l.... I’d say we got results to get into the top 6. You ask the majority here where would be at start of the season..... 

We are not going to play teams off the park..... I would love too, it is great to watch..... but give me the feelings of care and nervousness again I had before kick off playing the football we have done this season, over playing easy on the eye football and finishing mid to lower table every season. 

One day it’ll all come together, I firmly believe Rowett can do it..... I fear our chairman won’t..... hope he gets at least until January, and that’s sad of me to think that.....

And on the point of kids enjoying it. My boys absolutely adore Derby and have now been going for 8 and 6 years respectively. They love going, whether win, draw or lose..... they certainly don’t go to see and debate how much possession and what style of play, formation or why a player hasn’t ran enough. They go for the experience of being there, thick and thin..... I do firmly believe some on this forum have forgotten the emotion of actually being a football fan, and been spoilt by stats, taken in by “pundits”, and just nit picking their way through dissecting every minute detail of a game. Everyone trying to get one up on each other on a football forum is absolutely tiresome..... I’m happy to have egg on my face, and be wrong about things..... and admit..... it really is a shame that folk need to air that they are proven right about something, but won’t say boo to a goose when they are wrong. Have humility folks.

Apologies for going off tangent, but needed that off my chest on this forum lately. Not aimed at you, hope the forum can get its fun factor back, think it’s lost its appeal lately in this aspect 

Enjoy being a fan..... 

3 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Doesn't mean that's the way forward for us

Would love to see Derby play everyone off the park..... 

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

We are not going to play teams off the park..... I would love too, it is great to watch..... but give me the feelings of care and nervousness again I had before kick off playing the football we have done this season, over playing easy on the eye football and finishing mid to lower table every season. 

Playing that easy on eye football you mention got us to 3rd and a play off final in half a season. You will probably say we failed. I'd rather fail that way than how we are now.

2 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Playing that easy on eye football you mention got us to 3rd and a play off final in half a season. You will probably say we failed. I'd rather fail that way than how we are now.

I’d rather we get up by any means we can.... I think it’s a failure that You’d rather fail over one style over another..... 

I want to win, not fail.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You can stop that with your stats...

The rowettites will go all quiet on you.

It's pretty pertinent though isn't it.....just how is he an improvement????

Excuse me? Didn't know that was our name

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’d rather we get up by any means we can.... I think it’s a failure that You’d rather fail over one style over another..... 

I want to win, not fail.

twisting words a bit ? Obviously I don't want to fail. But would I rather see us actually keep possession of the ball. yes. There is not a chance that if we somehow got through the play offs, we could play this way you like in the premier league. Sitting back, getting totalling dominated by those teams is suicide.

9 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Errrr it is relevant entirely as it showed Cardiff got results playing very similar football to Derby, Middlesbrough too,l.... I’d say we got results to get into the top 6. You ask the majority here where would be at start of the season..... 

One day it’ll all come together, I firmly believe Rowett can do it..... I fear our chairman won’t..... hope he gets at least until January, and that’s sad of me to think that.....

And on the point of kids enjoying it. My boys absolutely adore Derby and have now been going for 8 and 6 years respectively. They love going, whether win, draw or lose..... they certainly don’t go to see and debate how much possession and what style of play, formation or why a player hasn’t ran enough. They go for the experience of being there, thick and thin..... I do firmly believe some on this forum have forgotten the emotion of actually being a football fan, and been spoilt by stats, taken in by “pundits”, and just nit picking their way through dissecting every minute detail of a game. Everyone trying to get one up on each other on a football forum is absolutely tiresome..... I’m happy to have egg on my face, and be wrong about things..... and admit..... it really is a shame that folk need to air that they are proven right about something, but won’t say boo to a goose when they are wrong. Have humility folks.

Apologies for going off tangent, but needed that off my chest on this forum lately. Not aimed at you, hope the forum can get its fun factor back, think it’s lost its appeal lately in this aspect 

Enjoy being a fan..... 

Fair enough, however I don’t beleive that GR has got what it takes, I don’t beleive he will play a style that I want to watch, and finishing top 6 for me with the squad at his disposal should have been the minimum target, next should have been trying to win be outscoring the opposition.  

I have taken my children 3 times this season, they have been bored, very bored, one of them who is very young trains with Derby he watched yesterday’s game and couldn’t understand why we were not trying to score.  If GR tries to implement his football philosophy throughout the club, Then I beleive we would drive kids away from the academy who would lose all enjoyment from playing as well.

For me enjoying being a fan is not all about the result so I’m afraid we will have to disagree there.

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Fair enough, however I don’t beleive that GR has got what it takes, I don’t beleive he will play a style that I want to watch, and finishing top 6 for me with the squad at his disposal should have been the minimum target, next should have been trying to win be outscoring the opposition.  

I have taken my children 3 times this season, they have been bored, very bored, one of them who is very young trains with Derby he watched yesterday’s game and couldn’t understand why we were not trying to score.  If GR tries to implement his football philosophy throughout the club, Then I beleive we would drive kids away from the academy who would lose all enjoyment from playing as well.

For me enjoying being a fan is not all about the result so I’m afraid we will have to disagree there.

Think you miss the point.

What we are seeing at the moment is not gary Rowetts philosophy

Its his tactics of choice given the players he has at his disposal. Unlike Warnock, and unlike The Fulham manager,

GR changes things when its not working and is open to different styles of play. he isnt dependant on getting the right players to fit a system which he never deviates from.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Think you miss the point.

What we are seeing at the moment is not gary Rowetts philosophy

Its his tactics of choice given the players he has at his disposal. Unlike Warnock, and unlike The Fulham manager,

GR changes things when its not working and is open to different styles of play. he isnt dependant on getting the right players to fit a system which he never deviates from.

Of course it not, like it wasn’t at Burton and Birmingham, next you will be telling me he didn’t sign half the team that has played for most of the season.

Archived